A Broken hearted cub scout needs your help!

Kristi, the more I think about this the more incredulous I become that someone would be so stupid to use museum pieces as table decorations. Absolutely incredible. Whoever was responsible for allowing the award winning cars to be used as table decorations like they were pineapples from the grocery store needs to be brought up in front of the boss. This was an absolutely amazing display of poor judgement. I am so sorry for your son and for the other 24 national winners who had their trophy-quality works of art and engineering treated with so little respect by the event organizers.

Kristi,

I can only imagine how your son must feel. My own son, who is now a Boy Scout, took a great deal of pride in each of his cars; similar to your son's, each was a "one of a kind" built more for the craftsmanship competition than the speed competition. He has every one of them on display in his room in a little display cabinet.

I can only agree with those who have commented on the boneheadedness of whoever thought those cars would make nice table decorations.

I'm with the Northwest Suburban Council outside of Chicago, and I'll check there to see if anyone might know anything.

Were the cars used at table displays on the tables where people were eating or were they displayed on a seperate tabel? Was the breakfast done with outside servers that cleared the tables? If they were used on the tables and there were outside servers it could be that in clearing up after the cars were tossed out with the trash. I certainly hope that is not the case. If could also be that in clearing tables that they were put in boxes. It would be hard for someone to simply walk out with 24 Pine Wood Derby cars without someone seeing.

The sad thing is even though we teach a Scout is Trustworthy. It isn't always the case. Our camp requires that all foot lockers taken to camp have locks on them and that is you are not in camp you keep your locker locked.

Had a boy at a camporee take Kevins camp stool that was one of his prizes for Popcorn. It had his name and troop # all over it.

When we found it the boys said he had found it on the trail. I ask him if he had found it and it had a name on it why didn't he simply give it the people at the lodge so it could be returned. He just looked at me.

There is a troop from the area of one of the other missing cars that is willing to make phone calls to try to locate the cars. I am going to call National back with this info today. I just wonder if they would want the help.

Kristi

• 2 weeks later...

No, unfortunatly nothing new to report with the exception that the grand total now missing is up to 36 cars and the National Office just now (nearly a month after the incident) prepared letters to go out to the different councils to try to track down these cars. The delay really bothers me because anything could have happened to the cars by now.

My council received the trophy this week and we are trying to arrange a party for my son for the presentation of said trophy. I don't see any bright lights at the end of the tunnel yet. Please keep spreading the word and maybe these cars will be found.

Still searching . . .

Kristi