District indecision

More importantly Seattle, the postings within this forum have helped me realize that while there may be shortcomings within my immediate future, long range planning and involvement at a District level may be more beneficial.

Oddly enough (or perhaps not), our Pack continues to promote the leaders with their dens. I have been the leader for the past four years and started at the Tiger Level and will retire as the Webelos II leader after 5 years. So I have no one to train but will offer my resources to the mother that is handling the new Webelos (I still cringe since she does not enforce uniform requirements).

I have a great time and have seen boys come and go until I ended up with 9 strong and able Webelos. That's why I had a fit with the lack of District support since I feel my boys should be "scouted" for the scouting abilities but will not wait for that to happen. They have worked too hard and it would be a disservice to them if I did not ask for troop involvement myself.

Since I won't be maintaining my Webelos Den Leader status, I will indeed have time for other volunteer functions. One of those roles will be for the District and the other will lead me down the path of Campfire USA for my daughters.

I look forward to the years to come becoming involved with the BSA and hope that all your words of encouragement and suggestions will help me better understand what I can do to continue the BSA's efforts.

Scoutndad...I am so glad you liked the idea! I love this forum of passing info along to each other! Anyways, I also wanted to commend you for not just "complaining" but wanting to solve the problem(s) as well! Good Luck in your ventures!

Your DE will not know you need roundup flyers printed up if you do not call and ask for them. A DE does not have the time to personally call every CM/SM/ETC, multiple times.

Units have to send people to Kickoff meetings, Roundtables, Pow Wows, etc. Units have to send people to their council office/shop to pick up their unit's mail & any event/info flyers. Even if the Trainings are badly run & Roundtables are not very helpfull, units should still send people. Why? Because even if the content is not that good it gives you a chance to get to know people (paid & unpaid, experienced & new) and ask questions. Network.

A Webelos Transition Coordinator is a wonderful idea. What happens if the district creates the position & then can not find someone to volunteer to fill it? The district wide Troop open house for Webelos is a GREAT idea! What happens if none of the Troops in the District care enough to participate? What happens if the Troops participate, but the Packs can't be bothered to bring boys? Will this be the district failing the troops & packs? Or will it be the troops & packs failing to work with the district?

Whose fault is it if the council shop carries training videos & books, but the units new leaders don't ever go to the shop?

To say that a unit will fold simply because of a bad district is unrealistic & passing the buck.

It is a 2-way street. If the units do not make the effort to utilize the resources (however good or bad) their council & district provides, they really can't complain that their district is not serving them. If the units do not make the effort to help & work with the district the district can not help them effectively.

Scoutndad - I think your idea to volunteer at a the district level is a good one. It will be a great experience for you, and give you the opportunity to help scouts & look at things from a different perspective. You might still find yourself frustrated, but at least you will know you are trying to make a difference. I really enjoy it, even when events & things don't work out quite the way you would have liked them to, & have met some wonderful Scouters over the years!

FYI...i sent my offer to help fill or assist in a Webelos Transition position/Open house (good for Brotherhood Award as well) to the District Leaders this morning.

Thanks to all who helped me down this path.

• 10 months later...

I thought I would give everyone an update...

I met with the District Director yesterday and he wants me to fill a new District position as Webelos Transition coordinater. I need to make sure I can devote the time to this position, but the District claims to have taken a serious look at my email from last year and they want to try it out. I am excited!

Thanks for all of the encouragement.

Sorry to jump in late, but I wonder to whom did scoutndad send his request for district support?

The job of unit service falls squarely on the Commissioner Corps. If your Pack doesn't know who their Unit Commissioner (UC) is, call the district commissioner (DC) and find out! If you don't have a UC, ask the DC to assign you one. Of course, there are never enough UCs to go around, but if your unit is struggling, a UC can be reassigned away from a more successful unit to yours.

It is also the UC's job (or the Asst DC or the DC if a UC isn't assigned) to get you the list of nearby Troops to which your Webelos might visit and eventually bridge.

I urge you to go to your UC (or ADC or DC) instead of your DE for this information. DEs have more than they can handle on their plates already -- let the Commissioner Corps do their job, which is unit service. Its the only reason the Commissioners Corps exists!

Fred Goodwin, UC

Alamo Area Council

Glad to see that things are beginning to work out in your district Scoutndad. Hope things continue to go well for you.

Just a note of interest though. I have personally known of units becoming dissatisfied with their district and changing to another district. I have seen this happened twice that I know for sure.

Both units moved into the district that I am in and shared their situations with those of us already in the district. One unit moved in about 1990 and the other about 2 - 3 years ago.