? about cub scout leaders

This is kinda a personal question. My son is getting ready to graduate to Wolfs we have spent the past year really enjoying the Tiger program. We are in a great pack with a wonderful CM, whose wife is our DL. She will be moving up with us to the Wolf den also. My husband and another gentelman is the other 2 asst. den leaders. Both of the guys are Eagle scouts from way back. The other night my husband said after the den meeting that this year I should just sign up as a leader since last year I did help out a lot. We did have another Asst.den leader who hasn't been around a lot lately, family issues and such. And when my husband has to work he is on call a lot I fill in then. I am just curious is it okay to have that many asst. den leaders? Or does the BSA have a limit. I wasn't sure last year how much I wanted to be involed but I realy enjoy the family time together. My husband said that I should just speak up before the leader training time approaches. Let me know what you think.

Thanks in advance

No, I don't think there is any limit. I've seen dens that had 2 or 3 "co-leaders" because you couldn't depend on any of them from one week to the next (due to job, family, etc.).

Another suggestion... does your pack need help in other areas? Maybe they need another committee member. You could possibly help out in some other ways, and still be there to help out the den when necessary.

Welcome to the forum.

Echoing EIKY, there is no limit on the number of ADL's, although I have never seen more than 2 ADLs in a den just as an observation. Take assessment of your gifts and time and ask yourself how might you help your pack/den in a way that would be most fulfilling for you. There are many roles to play in a pack and there may be an area for which you feel particular interest. Good luck to you and your family and I hope you enjoy these precious scouting years.

Tigers parents were both leaders and assistant leaders! So at any den meeting, you would have 1 den leaders and 6-10 assistant den leaders! ;)

I went through cub from tigers to x-over with 2-3 assistant den leaders with my oldest son. I'm currently going through the final 1/2 year with my second son's Webelos den with 2 (and from time to time drafting one other) assistant den leaders (one of whom just stepped down as our CM).

Getting trained is important. You'll be able to find that you'll gain a better understanding of the program to help your Den (and your Den Leader). Do look to training opportunities such as Pow Wow, University of Scouting (namely for Den Chief and Webelos transitioning when the time comes), your District training, and of course your District's roundtable.

The very best of luck.

1Hour

I would never turn away someone that wanted to help. It mainly depends on the size of the den. If there is only 2 - 5 boys and you have 3-4 den leaders that is a different story. But like others have said there are MANY different positions in a pack that need volunteers. The main thing is register (then you will be covered), get basic training, and have fun. You can always go with your son to his den meetings and therefore will see how much help is needed or not then you will know whether you should look into other areas that might need to be filled. THERE'S ALWAYS ROOM FOR MORE VOLUNTEERS!

Best "hour" of my week!! ;)

Carol