Need help with Webs...

I have Webs I that will move up to Webs II in a couple of weeks. These boys will be ready to crossover by no later than March of next year. I have been asking but not really got a straight answer from anyone in my group. Can some of you tell me what is expected from Webs II when the crossover into a Scout Troop? We have a troop that meets in the same place but like I said not much information has come my way. All I have really been asked is will they be mature enough? Well, how will I know if I don't know what's expected? Anyway, if any can tell me,please help me! I have been going over the oaths, handshake and that stuff that's in the book.

Thanks!

TRacy

I would suggest inviting the SM (or one of his assistants) to a den meeting over the next few months. I suspect he would be happy to discuss with your group 'what they can expect' and answer any questions the scouts and parents may have. If the SM turns down your offer, that would be a sure sign to possibly check out other troops.

(This message has been edited by SemperParatus)

One of the things we do in my community is have the Web II dens shop for troops. This allows 2 things to happen. 1st it allows the Webelos to see if they like the troop. Or in other words if they think new scouts are where these new scouts are at. 2nd it also allows the troop to see the Webelos. You know there are some that will have a hard time in your program, but will LOVE another's. We try to be positive as we direct them. There are also those that on first evaluation, you think they just aren't going to fit with you. I'm sure glad they know better.

If I can speak as a typical Troop, I'd say that the typical Boy Scout troop doesn't really expect anything of a new Scout joining. You don't have to have been a Cub Scout to become a Boy Scout, so you could have a boy coming in with no experience in Scouting. If a boy crossing over has earned his Arrow of Light, then there might be some expectations of previous knowledge because several of the Arrow requirements match requirements for Scout rank (the 1st Boy Scout rank), but you never know for sure, so we don't really assume any previous knowledge.

Troops will hold open houses, and when I was with Cubs, we used to encourage our Webs to visit a few to see what troop they might be interested in. As Semper noted, you can always invite an SM to one of your den meetings as well. I'm planning on visiting several dens this fall, for example, to drum up interest in our open house and joint Cubs/Boy Scout outing in early November. If you meet an SM who isn't interested in visiting, as Semper also said, I'd think twice about them.

The first thing that the Webelos II will work on after crossover into a troop is the Scout badge. This will cover everything that they have just learned, the scout oath, law, motto, Outdoor Code, handshake, salute, uniform, etc. and the square knot and that is all. Everything else is fairly structured according to the handbook and they all work at different speed and rate at their advancement. If they don't know it by the time they cross-over, no sweats, they'll learn those information again! :)

For our troop, we expect the Webelos to be at the troop meetings, activities, and campouts. Other than that, the only other thing that we expect the Webelos to know is that scouting is much more fun than cubbing! Maturity, the troop gets what is available for each boy and they will vary. We have 16 years old scout who still acts like an 11 years old!

Tracy ... just help them in finding the right troop for each individual Webelos. That in itself is a challenge! Visit many troops. Campout with them, participate in their activities, and talk to their SM or scouts. Then choose one! That's it. It should be fairly painless!

Good luck and have fun.

1Hour

(This message has been edited by OneHour)

To all of you,

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

All I've heard is that I need to make sure that my guys are prepared, but nothing about what they should be prepared for. I guess fun!

Is it normal for your groups to cross in March or before with 2nd year Webs? Our group hasn't crossed over the boys until June which after doing some training, I think is wrong. They get dumped right into Summer Camp with the Boy Scout whom they have only "visited" with and not helped to make plans with.

Tracy

Most units in this area bridge Webelos into a troop in February.

National has some good stuff on-line, but sometimes it can be hard to find (ok, almost always it's hard to find!). There is a Webelos Transition page that gets specific as to what the pack, troop, unit commissioner, etc can do to help with a smooth transition. This might be helpful. It can be found here:

http://www.scouting.org/boyscouts/resources/18-086/index.html

This is a fun time for the Webelos, and you've received some good advice so far. Good luck, and enjoy visiting the troop(s) with the boys.

(This message has been edited by bbng)

A lot of the packs in our area (including ours) crossover in late Feb to ensure that the recharter goes through and all that was left to do is to fill out the boyscout app and pay $1 for the transfer (and the troop dues of course). Late Feb will give the boys at least 3-4 good months of camping with the troop before they hit the summer camp. This will definitely help breaking them in with camping without their parents, becoming more self-sufficient, and dealing with the homesickness issue. Also, this will give them a good 3-4 months to get into the scouting ways as well. There are a couple of packs in our area cross the boys over in December. It's really whenever they have finished their AoL requirements and have been awarded the AoL.

1Hour

ps: You have gotten it correct! Just prepare them for more fun ... but this time, they and the other boys in the troop create their own fun!

pps: My second son's Web den is about to enter their final phase with the Pack as well. For preparation, I am planning to have them visit 3 local troops, explaining to them and their parents what to expect in scouting, camping out with at least 2 of the troops, explaining to them and their parents how to choose or what to look for in a troop, working on the remaining activities badges, learning the scout oath, law, motto, etc., and finally awarding them the Arrow-of-Light award the last weekend in Feb 2006. It will be very busy nine months of cub scouting! ;) With luck, we'll crossover all 18 Web 2 in our pack this coming year. We usually crossover about 80%.(This message has been edited by OneHour)

OneHour,

On p. 5 of the Boy Scout handbook, it says, "A graduating Webelos Scout who has earned the Arrow of Light Award has completed the Boy Scout joining requirements. With the approval of his Scoutmaster, he will receive the Boy Scout badge upon joining the troop." To me this means that the only thing the new Scout needs to do is have the Scoutmaster Conference in order to receive the Scout badge. Are you saying that the new scout has to redo the rest of the joining requirements?

SWScouter

I'm going to get criticized for typing this but here it goes anyway. We find that most if not all Webelos came in not knowing ... remembering is a better word ... any of the requirements, ie., able to describe the scout badge much less the scout oath, law, motto, slogan, etc. Our troop goes through the scout requirements more as a formality and to step the new scout through the process of getting rank advancement, namely scoutmaster conference and introducing them to the advancement chair. We simply think of it as a refresher. This is neither adding or deleting from requirements. Yes, a webelos can "automatically" attain the scout badge, but it is much better to reinforce the basics of scouting. We also cover the requirements for the benefits of the new scouts who have never been a Webelos.

1Hour(This message has been edited by OneHour)

Onehour,

Sounds like you have a 9 month period like I have planned for my boys. Most have earned at least 1/2 of the badges and I am now going to concentrate on the AOL. We will probably get really serious about it come August (we will only meet 1x a month until then). I want my guys to have the experience of spending time with the troop before going to camp. That's something that our pack hasn't done since we've been there. They usually cross Webs in June. I'm going to insist (if my boys are ready) for it no later than March.

Tracy

I strongly recommend that you take your Webelos to resident camp this summer. It was the best experience I had as a Webelos leader, and I think the boys had some fun, too! It's a good way to get them used to being away from the parents for a few nights. It also gives them an insight into what a week a Scout Camp will be like. Just type the phrase "Webelos Resident Camp" at Google and you're sure to find some great choices. Remember, you can go to any session at any camp, not just the one in your council.

I was so impressed with the boys that moved up into our troop in March. Within a week of crossing over they had earned Scout. They knew the material. It was obvious their leader had really worked with them. Our SPL was the one that told us that all 5 boys were ready for their SMC for scout after the second meeting.

Visit several troop. Do an over night with at least one of them. All if you can.

And remember Boy Scouting is totally different from Cubs. Mom and dad aren't as involved.

When boys cross over into our troop we have a family camping trip as soon as possible. THe parents are invited to join us. BUT. They can not sleep with their son. They tent with the "Wise Ole Owl" patrol (adults) away from the boys. The SPL is in charge of the camping trip.

The new boys are given an older scout as a buddy. They tent with this boy. All the older buddies are 1st Class or above. This gives the new boys a great experience and allows the older boys to give back into the troop as they were given to when they joined. It works. Everyone has fun. Well sometimes there may be a problem with parents. You don't do it for them. Our boys don't use first names to adults. Kevin doesn't call me Lynda. It is Mrs. J. This last camp out one father kept roaming around the camp site following his son. Finally the SM pulled him aside and explained that his son was in the care of our most experiences scout. And that scouts responsibility was to help teach his some scouting ways and that by trying to help he was not allowing that to happen. It was bothering the buddy. It took some working but by the end of the camping trip the father understood. We always do a "thorns and roses" at the end of each camping trip. Each boy and adult gets to tell one good thing and one bad thing about the trip. This fathers rose was seeing his son change during the campout. Seeing his develop skills.

And by the way. THe boys aren't allowed to come into the adult camp site without permission.