Webelos handshake and salute

The former Cubmaster and current Web II leader is now telling his boys and mine WebI's that since they are Webelos they do not use the Cub Scout Handshake and Salute, but the Boy Scout's. I disagree, but before I start anything I want to get my facts straight. Can anyone enlighten me?

John

He is correct. Cub scouting is divided up like this: Tigers are Tigers, Wolves and Bears are cub scouts, Webelos are Webelos - preparing for boy scouts. This means using the Scout sign, handshake, oath, law, motto and slogan. Pages 49 through 58 of your Webelos handbook has all this information.

These things must be known to earn the Webelos Badge.

Sorry Committee Member, you are incorrect.

Tigers, Wolves, & Bears are Cub Scouts. Webelos are Webelos Scouts. Boy Scouts are Boy Scouts.

Even though they are called Webelos Scouts & not Cubs, Webelos are still in the Cub Scout program, NOT Boy Scouts. They have to learn about the aspects of the Boy Scout program, NOT start using them at all Cub Scout activites. They can also not start calling themselves a Patrol just because they have taken a name & wear a patch. They would still be a Den. Perhaps the "Flaming Star" Den, but a Den none the less.

Webelos, as ScoutNut points out, are still Cub Scouts and part of the pack. There was a unit that had a second-year Webelos den that began to do Scout items. The result is that during pack meetings these boys believed they were not part of the pack, that it was for the "little guys". Practicing the Scout Oath, Law, sign, etc. is great for learning, but Webelos remain part of the pack as Cubs until they bridge to a troop.

Absolutely Webelos are still part of the cub scout pack! Maybe I should have worded that differently. Our Webelos participate in all pack activities and meetings. More so than the others because most of our committee, the CM and ACM have Webelos. However if you look at page 1-1 of the Cub Scout Leader Book it lists the parts of the BSA program as follows: Tiger Cubs- 1st grade: Cub Scouting 2nd and 3rd grades: Webelos Scouting 4th and 5th grades: Boy Scouting 11-17 years of age and so on..

The BSA breaks down the cub scout program because of age appropriate activities. Not being one that likes to be wrong I called council about this. (I just wanted to make sure our boys were being taught right.) I was told that once the boy earns the Webelos Badge, not just graduates into the den but actually earns it he is to use all the boy scout things discussed previously. (handshake, salute, motto etc.) We simply have all the boys do the Pledge then the Tigers, Wolves and Bears do the Cub Scout promise, then the Webelos do the Boy Scout promise.

Webelos are NOT Boy Scouts. If they were then they would be part of a Boy Scout Troop and not a Cub Scout Pack. If you follow the advice of the person you talked to at your council then once they earn the Webelos Rank they would automaticaly move into a Boy Scout Troop, become Boy Scouts & do all the things Boy Scouts do.

Although Tiger & Webelos are set apart a bit from Wolf & Bear they are still ALL in the Cub Scout program, NOT the Boy Scout program. Boy Scouts say the BOY Scout Promise, Law & Motto. Tigers, Wolves, Bears, & Webelos say the CUB Scout Promise, Law & Motto.

There is NO BSA reference that states that Webelos should REPLACE the Cub versions with the Scout versions at Pack & Council activites once they earn their Webelos rank. There are many however, that state the Webelos should KNOW the Scout versions & PRACTICE them.

This is simply another local tradition that does not follow the BSA program.

I agree with most everyone here on this one. The Webelos should continue to use the Cub Scout sign and handshake and so forth. They must learn the Boy Scout items so they are prepared and ready for when they enter Boy Scouts. They are not Boy Scouts yet.

I think you got bad information from council.

CMF