Tiger Cubs' ADULT PARTNER

How does your Pack define "adult Partner" for Tiger Cubs?

How strictly do you stick to that definition?

Can any parent-selected adult serve that role on any given day? For example, can the music teacher be the adult partner in music class, thus allowing the Tiger to earn his Music Belt Loop in school?

Can another Tiger's parent be the "adult partner" for a cub acticity like a pack campout?

Some questions have come up for us and I'm looking for infor to help resolve an issue or two.

Thanks for your help.

jd

Last year I asked this question, as it was asked of me. The response I was given was that the adult partner is the person indicated on the Tiger's app. For a parent, the app included the info needed; for someone other than a parent, an adult leader app was required to be filled out in addition to the app. The Tiger Cub DL stuck with this definition with one exception: if one parent couldn't be there, the other one would be.

An Adult Partner is the person on the Tiger's application who attends all Cub Scout Den & Pack activites with that Tiger. I have had parents (& sometimes grandparents) switch off when necessary. Also, a time or 2, I have had a Tiger parent bring along another Tiger when his parents could not make a meeting & the Tiger did not want to miss it.

You don't need the Adult Partner concept when the Tiger is working on stuff at home. You also do not need one to be able to work on Belt Loops or pins. The Academic & Sports program is ment to be done at home, in the community, or in a Scout setting. Having the music teacher sign off on the music belt loop is well within the rules for that program.

A Pack campout is a different thing though. Pack campouts are supposed to be family affairs. I would say that in most cases the Tiger should be there with his family. Especially if this Tiger is new to camping. Remember, if another parent/family does take responsibility for a Tiger, that boy can NOT sleep in the same tent with the adults. He MUST sleep in a separate tent. It can be with other boys, but not with adults he is not related to. This might be scary for a 1st grader on his first campout. Also, if the Tiger's registered Adult Partner is not his legal guardian than they can not sleep in the same tent either.

Scoutnut, according to the Sports and Academics books, the Tiger may earn belt loops in a school setting, but working with the Adult partner. That's where my present problem exists. The "adult partner" is clearly defined in the Leader book as the adult who co-registers with the Tiger. Obviously that again leaves the school teacher out of the picture as an "adult partner".

However, it would be counter-productive to disallow another parent, grandparent, or even a babysitter/nanny if the family is comfortable with the arrangement. Though we, obviously, can't be that flexible with the definition for overnighters.

Wondering what the rest of you do?

jd

Ya'll take this too seriously!

If a child completes the requirements for a belt loop through his school or playground, and the adult partner recognizes the fulfillment of the requirments, then AWARD the CHILD! He knows how much work went into earning the Belt Loop. Just make sure the adult partner(s) are aware that the requirements are listed in the book. Playing soccer on the playground does not fulfill the requirements, but belonging to a team that practices regulary and plays games does fulfill the requirements.

I don't care who the Adult Partner is as long as he has a parent with him at all Den Meetings and Go See It activities. Tiger Cub participation is only required for beads. If I were doing Tige Cubs over again, I would give the 5 Family Beads to the parents for them to award at home.... hence - IMMEDIATE RECOGNITION. I found that this year I was awarding beads and the kids didn't know what they were for, only they knew they wanted more!

Champ,

I do take it seriously. But, it's not the work, or the requirements, or the award that is worth taking seriously. What's worth taking seriously is our Purpose.

By allowing any adult within 20 feet to be the adult partner, we distance Family from the boy and the activity. I don't care what the activity is, I don't care what the badge is -- it's not about the soocer game, the soccer skill, the soccer belt loop ----- it's about the Family and Cub together more, rather than less.

Kids can get all the fun they want without Scouting, so what makes this Fun better? The Purpose(s)! We have a family based program with Core Values and Purposes. When rules are grey, as they often are, shouldn't we fall back on our basic Principles to help us find clarification?

I'm trying to convince my Committee to make this decision for the right reasons. I know we can read into this rule whatever flexibility we want, our council and District have said so specifically, but WHY would we want more flexibility in the definition of "adult partner"?

Aside from the stated definition of "adult partner" (CS Leader Book)and the requirement (on the Cub app) that if the adult partner is not a family member, then there needs to be an adult app on file, by widening the definition of "adult partner" we're saying that earning the little shiny thing is more important than having the Tiger and his family together. I don't buy that. Even if we argue that it's not about the shiny thing but about the Fun, I still don't think we should prioritize that over Family.

jd

ps> WELCOME!!

Point taken. Sometimes I wonder if they should go back to the orange t-shirts and keep this year simple and fun. There are enough requirments in 15 beads and 50 electives to keep the Tigers busy while having fun all year. Plus, this is a learning year for the parents as well. The parents know what is expected of them next year.