Cub Scout Roundtable Commissioner -- anything else I need?

I have the privilege of serving in this role, having been asked to do so last month. The District Commissioner gave me the epalettes (sp?) and insignia needed, and he and the DE will be meeting with me over the summer for planning. He has arranged for me to meet with the person who used to do this (it's been an open spot for 3-4 years) and is setting up training. I have the updated Cub Scout Leader Handbook, 2005-2006 Program Helps, and the most recent Webelos Leader Book along with a variety of BSA publications (songs, sizzlers, G2SS, etc). Which Commissioner books should I have? I am planning on getting the RT book (the one with the themes--sorry, don't recall the name but know it when I see it). RT doesn't take place in the summer, so I have time to plan and prepare, and I'd appreciate your suggestions. Thanks!

Sounds like you have a good start. You might aask your DE or District Commissioner for the list of Cubmasters and there Committie Chairs. It may be helpfull if you have there phone numbers, mail address and email address. Also Good luck.

By the way, I am a Boy Scout Roundtable Commissioner for my local District in NY state. I have been asked to to another year as Roundtable Commisioner

Rad the Cub Roundtable Program Handbook, recruit a staff based on their ability to deliver the program elements of your agenda. Develop a promotion plan to get the word out about the new and improved Cub Roundtable program.

Begin to meet year round. Cubbing should be a year round program, the program support should be there year round as well.

(the epaulets were already sewn on your shirt (the flappy things on the shoulder) you were given your blue shoulder loop covers :) )

Have fun with Roundtable.

BW

Laurie,

I'm going to throw out the obvious. You also need a good Roundtable staff to help you plan and run the Roundtables. I'm on my district's Cub Roundtable staff. I run the Webelos breakouts and I would really like an another to help me and take over on those rare occasions I cannot attend.

Best of luck,

SWScouter

I'd like to meet year-round, but I have yet to learn why RTs don't meet year-round. That is one of my questions for the the meeting with the DE and District Commissioner. I think it's because there's no meeting place, but I would very much like to arrange for something in July and August (June is tough month with many district and council activities already, so for this year, I don't think it will work). What I've done is to come up with a list of places that RT could be held if meeting place is an issue.

The list of packs and contact info will be made available to me, and over the summer I'd like to get in touch with each unit.

Oops--thanks Bob! I was given silver loops, but gee whiz, no wonder I've been confusing people by talking about epaulets.

Staff might be tricky, but I've also begun a list of some Cub Scouters I've met who are just awesome in particular areas (one who is terrific with Webelos and skits for instance). How does one get a staff when most are wearing so many hats already?

Promotion: I've been given the ok to use the district page of council's down the road, so that's something positive, but I think promotion needs to start sooner rather than later. I also think it needs to be talking directly to the leaders. Attendance was 3 last week, and I honestly don't recall a meeting going above 10 in 2 years. People need a reason to come. RT looks like fun, like time well spent, like a way to remove the stress of planning from leaders, and a way to interact with other leaders.

My husband just rolled his eyes when I said I'd need a box for supplies (saving up stuff that I think will be useful), for we recently passed on the Cub stuff that belonged to the pack, and we discovered space we didn't know we had! He is very supportive of this, but he knows it means we'll lose some of the recently rediscovered storage space.

Thanks for the ideas, and if I'm off base with what I have mentioned, please set me straight :)

(This message has been edited by Laurie)

"How does one get a staff when most are wearing so many hats already?"

That's the same problem we all face. I had it when I was Training Chair, and one reason I had to give up the job. You are the leader and coordinator, you can't do it all yourself. Cub RT staff, when I was doing Cubs in the early 80's, were "former" Den Leaders, Cubmasters, etc, whose own boys had moved on, but they were still sharing their experience and skills. One dear lady was a Grandmother in her 70's when she died, but she was still doing crafts at RT every month. Look for those who are experienced, but no longer have an active role at the unit level. I am a firm believer that the District should not entice people away from key unit jobs, or burn them out with more work. Look at the BS Troops ... there may be many ASMs or MC out there who were active Cub Scouters and moved on to a troop because their kids did, but really are active on paper only. A troop doesn't really need 15 ASMs, but they may be really knowledgeable about running a Webelos den, and would be willing to give you one hour a month ;-).

BTW, CSRT Commissioner is a District position, so silver loops are correct. Also wear the position patch without unit numerals (a pet peeve of mine, if dual-registered with a unit).

Our RTs meet at a school, so we have to find alternate meeting places during July and August. Sometimes we just meet on the front lawn if the weather is good.

(This message has been edited by scoutldr)

OPPS yes Silver loops are correct sorry I had cubbies on the brain.

You will no doubt hear things about the 9 momth run like.."that's that way we always did it here" or something similar. But Cub Scouting is a year round program, and units that have year round programs do better. You will find in your Roundtable Planning program a year round agenda and year round themes. While it might take a summer to get units use to coming year round you will find that by not writing off 25% of the year due to local "tradition" that the units will be stronger for your efforts.

As far as promotion, you could consider visiting each pack's leader meeting and giving a pitch about the new and improved roundtable. I am not sure what area you are in, so that could be a very overwhelming task. In my area, there are only six packs that are supposed to attend our roundtable.