Are all BS Round Tables boring?

I was at boy scout RT last night for the first time. While i came away with some things to use, I didn't get near the benefit that cub RT provided.

Is this because of the boy lead nature of boy scouting versus the adult led nature of cubs?

I must admit that the Cub Scout RT for the last few years has been great fun and might have set up the Scout RT for a fall from higher expectations.

Thanks

Quixote

Came back from our RT last night and I thought it was pretty good. 4 scouts presented rules of safe hiking and 12 hikes close to the area that they liked, then the RT staff took a half hour to present techniques on how to deal with "trouble makers", I found it worthwhile and informative. I dont know if all RT's follow the same format, in our district Troops present the topics. As you would expect, the topics as as much fun or interesting as the presenters make them. The 7th grade teacher is a stitch and fun to listen to whatever he presents while I would swear others try to imitate Ben Stein as the biology teacher in Ferris Buellers Day Off.

Next month we meet outside and each troop will cook its favotite recipe and share the recipes and product with attendees. (no open fires of course, the church where it is held wouldnt appreciate burn marks on the lawn)

So I guess the answer is, no, not all RT are boring, just some

I was attending boy scout RT until recently. NOw I'm on the cub side. I'm having the exact opposite experience as you. WHile not always the most entertaining our Boy Scout Rts are generally pretty informative with good troop attendance and interaction. Our cub scout RTs are poorly attended and have been described as "gripe" sessions and not worth attending.

We're working to change this.

So, like OGE says -- not all roundtables are boring. I guess a lot depends on what you and other participants put into it (both expectations and energy-wise).

OGE, I love the cooking piece. OUr June meeting is always a picnic with both cub and boy scout leaders together -- we have a district person always cook for the entire group (he LOVES to cook). Maybe we could let him cook some and have the troops take on pieces as well (wouldn't want to hurt his feelings!).

Gotta agree with OGE, some are better than others - kinda resembling our own Troop programs and indeed sometimes our personal motivations/achievements versus intentions.

You might consider looking over the scheduled topics and seeing

where you might apply your own expertise; just as we all take something away we all bring something to the table. Your local Roundtable staff would be more than willing to receive any assistance that you might feel moved to offer.

Down from the Virtual Soapbox...

If you are on a Boyscout Roundtable Staff (or know someone who is) and would like to learn more about how to do successfull Roundtables, and even share your successes with others, I invite you to try the Scout Roundtable Conference at Philmont Training Center July 21-27. It's a blast!

Bob White

Bob White - the Commish of Cubs RT attended RT Commissioner at Philmont last year and had a blast - said his wife and kids had even more fun than him.

My long term plan is to go there next year or year after that (hopefully next year) for some vacation training.

Buffalo - i kinda figured someone would say something like that - i actaully agree, but since last night was my first night, just wondered if other districts had lots going on.

Thanks.

Quixote

Roundtables are useful and important, but the quality of the programs is highly variable. I like the idea of having the troops put on presentations. At least it spreads the burden around a bit.

It is all a matter of who is presenting the roundtables and coming up with ideas (if any.) Up until a few months ago our district's Cub roundtables were boring and pointless -- basically all announcements and statements by the commissioners that were basically repetitions of council and district newsletter articles and e-mail announcements. Very little in the way of program ideas or advice on program planning, and very little interactive discussion from the "unit" side of the table. Now we have an "acting" Cub Roundtable Commissioner who is doing a great job. The handouts he gives look like they are the same ones he used 15-20 years ago, when he was really the Cub RT Commissioner, but they serve the purpose and are better than anybody else seems to be willing to do. At the same time, we on the unit side now get involved in the meetings and shoot back ideas that we have used, both successes and failures, and the best of the ideas are printed in the district newsletter so others can benefit.

Meanwhile, the Boy Scout roundtables are held across the room at the same time (it's a very, very big room, it's the cafeteria for a wholesale auto auction, but the cross-noise is still annoying enough that options are being explored for our own meeting-place within the district.) They do seem to have better attendance over there (usually about 20 people in a district with 27 troops, whereas we usually have about 15 Cub unit people from 37 packs) but I am not sure exactly what they do. Yet.

Our Roundtables are executed by our District Roundtable Staff. Most of these folks are unit leaders of some sort. Staff members come and go, but the quality of the Roundtable program has been high for some time. They follow the monthly themes as outlined in the Program Helps documentation, which is supposed to be supported by articles in the Scouting and Boy's Life magazines (of course a month in advance). We unit leaders attend a formal opening, then an announcement session. This is followed by a breakout session pertaining to the monthly theme. We are encouraged to bring Troop youth Staff, but few show up (the old "one night a week" is enough excuse). Attending unit leaders get all information to the Troop leadership (both adult and youth). The program is as fun as it can get. The Boy Scout program IS fundmentally different than the Cub Scouts. We can hear them all evening in the next room.

I have attended every roundtable in my district for the last 5 years. I am the person who does the refreshments. LOL Anyway, the Roundtable staff makes it a point to ask others how to improve roundtables and to help leaders with problems or training that they are seeking. Sometimes one side is more interesting than the other yet it depends on who is interacting. If you are new then ask all your questions there is bound to be someone who has the answers you are seeking. I also find that this is a good way to have valuable resources for your pack or troop. If it is boring then that is a need that you should have addressed by the staff or the other leaders attending. Hence, ask questions and be patient. I love roundtables and the people in my district who are the regulars. I get some good advice and help on problems since I am a new SM. Yet however for me lately it has had its drawbacks. I am hoping to resolve this issue tomorrow. The only dumb question is the one not being asked. Besides you may not know it but maybe another leader wants to know the same thing, so ask. :) We play games, crafts, have a picnic once a year, and exchange gifts at Christmas roundtable. Thus we are learning what the boys feel when we do them. Which makes us all understand and do better in our leadership.