Lack of hand tools for Den Meetings

I am a WDL and recently bridged my oldest son and his 4 den mates to thier new Troop. I have had a little time to catch my breath and reflect on the last 2 years before my youngest son crosses over to WEBELOS. In my reflections the one thing that repeatedly came to mind is the lack of hand tools for all the boys to use. The previous den had dad's that could accomindate on a limited basis. The new den does not have that luxury. I would like to find donations to fill this void. I have asked parents of the pack if they could donate but no one has spares of any one tool they could part with. Does anyone have any ideas to generate the donations needed for the pack for a mini tool crib, at least enough tools for a den of 8?

Thanks

I've an idea that may help. When my sons went through Webelos, parents were asked to bring tools and stay to help out during those meetings when the boys were building. Some families didn't have much in the way of tools, but others had workshops, so everyone pitched in and there were always enough. The same went for those who could stay; not all could, but the adult supervision was increased and that worked. Just thought I'd share this in case you helps you out.

We were always fortunate enough to have dads with well stocked workshops available for various projects. I think there was also a fair amount of competition between the dads as to who had the most tools - but I digress.

My only suggestion is to make sure that all the parents understand NO POWER TOOLS - keep 'em out of sight/locked up if you've got Cubs in your workshop! Drove me nuts hearing: "my dad lets me use ..." and "but I let my kid use ... at home"

Try contacting a local hardware store, some may be willing to donate a few simple hand tools to the pack as a whole. Another option would be some of the larger companies like Lowes and Home Depot have workshops once or twice a week, if your meetings don't fall on these days you may be able to borrow their workshop tools for an evening or two.

Talk to your pack's committee and request permission to use a portion of the funds your den raises through the council popcorn sale (whether the pack participates or not) to purchase a kit of hand tools.

Then do it.

Unc.

We had the same problem

Start with the dollar store. They are everywhere aren't they? They have hammers and six tipped screw drivers for a dollar each. For twenty bucks you have enough to outfit a large den.

MOST IMPORTANT THEY HAVE SAFETY GLASSES WHICH PARENTS SHOULD BUY A PERSONAL PAIR FOR EACH KID. I lovethePARENTS THAT WON'T SPEND ONE DOLLAR ON THEIR KIDS WHILE THEY SMOKE CIGARETTES AT $5 PER PACK.

Approach the local capenters union about a small donation, for $100 you can get a brace and some bits so that the kids can drill their own holes.

Place an add in the local paper asking for tools. Maybe some widow that has just can't bear to part with their husband's tools at a garage sale had three sons that moved away (who were scouts) would think that was a great thing do do with her spouse's tools(I mean this with the greatest amount of taste)

Face it weirderthings have happened.

Have a fundraiser specifically for the "pack tool chest" explaining that the the only exposure some kids get to building and working with hand tools is at scouts and you'd like to make sure that this becomes a legacy in your Pack.

Find a Wood Badge candidate and tell him that it would make a great long lasting goal for him to do. He'll find a way!

I apoligize in advance for my poor typing.

At your next Pack meeting, pass out a (shopping list) now that summer is here, you will have yard sales popping up everywhere. You may have someone in your Pack that likes to hit these sales. Once they have a idea what to look for, they may be able to pick them up at a very good price. The same goes to the local auctions.

Brian

• 1 month later...

Check your parents also- if any of them work for a place that sells or uses a lot of tools, ask them for advice. For example, if a dad works with a construction crew, you could EASILY build a kit with the stuff they replace as it wears out.

If you hit stores for donations, I'd point out that increasingly, national chains have to jump through a lot of hoops to make a donation. Try the smaller stores instead- they usually are easier to work with.