BALOO Training For Cub Scout Overnights

The district is offering BALOO training this Saturday ---Cub Packs doing overnights need to have at least one BALOO trained adult. I'm Unit Commissioner for a Pack that has an overnight scheduled June 4-5th, and the Cubmaster is planning on attending too.

So--- any comments on what to expect or bring along?

Any dos/don't you've learned from your Cub Scout Overnights?

Seattle Pioneer

Are you planning on going to the overnighter with the Pack?

As a fellow UC, I think that's a great idea. However, I see a red flag if you are getting trained so they can count you toward their requirement of having a BALOO-trained leader in attendance.

As a UC, you are supposed to be an advisor and confidant; you are not supposed to be an active part of the Pack program.

I have yet to attend BALOO but will in the fall. Our pack has a few rules we use during campouts.

Once something is in the fire, it stays in the fire. Kids love to poke sticks into the fire. Then they pull them out and wave them around. That's a no-no. Once the stick or anything goes in the fire, it stays in the fire. Maybe harsh but it solves arguements.

The second similar one is nothing goes in the fire but sticks or wood. Yes, we could burn paper, cardboard, wrappers, etc. but then we have to have a list of what is good and what is bad. Easier at this age just to say nothing but sticks or wood. Again it solves a lot of arguements before they happen.

Plan lots of activities for the boys. Our Pack agenda is typically Friday nite camp setup, campfire, flag retirement ceremony, smores and lights out by 10 pm. Saturdays agenda usually includes at least one skills class but often two, one field games session, fishing time, community service session, night hike and/or astronomy session, campfire with tall tales, flag raising and lowering, and meals. We also cook cobler or cake in a Dutch oven for Sat nite campfire snack. Typically Sat lunch is 11:30/12 to 2 which is the only designated "Free Time". Sunday morning is meal, flag lowering, devotional, and break camp.

Seattle - I am curious, have you attended Commissioner training?

The things you are doing are NOT a part of the Unit Commissioner's job. I don't care how bad a shape the Unit is in.

Take BALOO training if you wish. Go along on the Pack campout if you wish. However, DON'T do the Pack Leaders jobs for them and don't put yourself on their tour permit. You are NOT a Pack Leader.

As for what to bring to BALOO - nothing. Everything you will need should be supplied for you.

When I took BALOO, I contacted the trainer with my questions. Nothing was needed other than to dress appropriately for the weather and $5 (costs, if any, vary--most of our training is free).

I'm confused. Are you taking BALOO so you will be trained for the camping trip? The adult leaders on the roster need BALOO, not their UC, but I may be reading this incorrectly.

I have taken the BALOO training with most other adult leaders in my pack. I applaud anyone who takes the training. I believe that the UC will benefit from the training because there will be a common reference point. Without this training, how can the UC advise anyone regarding it?

Jeez! The answer to every question asked in all the forums is for the person to attend training. If all adults, leaders and parents, attended all the BSA training then all of BSA problems would be resolved according to Scouter Forums.

Here is a fella who wants to know what he should bring to training to Be Prepared. He is trying to live the BSA motto. And what does he get? Grief for having the wrong job description patch shown on his sleeve.

Instead of complaining that he is attending training under the wrong job title, you should be applauding his effort to search out training and make time to attend. The more any scouter knows by taking training, the better he can deliever the program. He can become a champion for training and help others see there is a benefit. He can share the ideas and techniques found in the training. He can lead by example that training is good and all should attend many and often.

If he learns one skill during the training that he can pass along to his son or other boys in the pack, does it matter what position patch is on his sleeve? Please at least stick with the party line and say he needs additional training in the form of Unit Commisioner training instead of questioning his motives for attending outdoor skills training.

Stepping down off soapbox...

I'm not questioning motives, but I apologize if it sounds that way. With all the things that compete for our time, placing an unnecessary burden on one's self (and thinking that as a UC one needs BALOO could very well do that) is not something I'd encourage. Now, if a UC wants to take BALOO because s/he wants to know more, that's super and seems a good thing IMO.

I didn't get out of these comments that a commissioner should not take training, but rather that a commissioner should not be expected to attend a pack campout in the role of a BALOO trained pack leader. The pack leadership should be the ones to assume the roles of leadership in the pack, not the commissioner.

Get as many people in the unit BALOO trained as you can. Here is my Cub Camping nightmare.

When Kevin started in Tigers the CC was a woman who was a total control freak. She told us that only the CC could attend Round Table. She was also the only person in the unit that had BALOO training. Well when Kevin started Wolves we planned a camping trip.

She and I didn't see eye to eye over lots of things. Training for one. She didn't push training. (Mainly because if the leaders got trained them they would have known that some of what whe did was wrong.) Well the Friday we were leaving to camp with the pack she called the Council office and informed them that she wasn't going to go camping with us. She didn't call anyone else. Well the DE called me, since I had volunteered to direct day camp. We had a dad that was an Eagle Scout. He took off work and went to the office and they did a quickie training for him so we could still go and the boys wouldn't be hurt.

The next week I went to the office and ask which trainings I needed to get. Within 6 months I had taken Fast Start, New leader basics and Specifices, BALOO, YPT. everything. I also took over as CC. But you need more than one person BALOO trainied in case one trained person can't go or somehting happens.

TRAINING TRAINING TRAINING The best way to make sure that boys have good leaders and a good program.

Another training everyone that is going to be camping with boys should take Introduction to Outdoor Skills. It is a weekend camping outing and you work in a patrol of other leaders. They don't put people from the same unit together.

I have taken it 3 times and will be staffing the one in the fall. Boy talk about fun. You get to act like a kid. Cook, fire build, lash, everything you should be teaching the boys.

I highly recommend it.

Introduction to Outdoor Leader Skills is designed for adult troop leaders. It teaches the skills necessary to teach Boy Scouts the outdoor skills requirements for Tenderfoot through First Class ranks. Cubs don't do most of what is covered in OLS.

"Another training everyone that is going to be camping with boys should take Introduction to Outdoor Skills."

NO. This training is structured for, and aimed at, those adults who will be taking BOY SCOUTS camping. This training is NOT for CUB camping and can not be used instead of BALOO or Webelos Leader Outdoor Training.

If you are in the Cub program, AFTER you have taken BALOO & WLOT, if you have the time & inclination, IOLS is a great course to take to prepare you for Boy Scouts.

Similarly, if you are working strictly with the Boy Scout level I would not reccomend taking BALOO or WLOT unless you simply wanted the experience. I also would not take BALOO or WLOT before IOLS.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I attended the Baloo training as described in the opening post as did two Cub Pack Committee members. The next day, the Pack Committee met to plan the overnight June 4th and 5th, and we'll be meeting again Sunday to finish our planning.

I'm Unit Commissioner for the Pack and a nearby Scout Troop. I've been working to get the Cub Pack and Troop to work together this year with a good deal of success, and the Troop will be camping with the Cub Pack, with the 2nd year Webelos camping overnight as a New Scout Patrol with the Troop after the crossover. The Troop will also be doing the flag ceremoney, assisting Cubs Scouts making foil pizzas for dinner, and cooking breakfast for the Pack Sunday morning.

I do have one major disappointment. The District is willing to do training of parents at the overnight, but the Pack Commmittee doesn't want to corral the parents for training, or to put pressure on parents to take on leadership positions in the Pack that BADLY need to be filled.

The Pack committee optimistically sent out an e-mail inviting parents to come to the last Pack meeting to help plan the overnight, but NO ONE showed up. The three pack leaders (and I) are doing way too much. But they wont take the steps needed to get additional help.

They have a GREAT program now, but it's bound to have big problems before long unless they get help to run it.

Those who object to a UC taking an active role in a unit to which they are assigned can be reasssured --- I will be backing off if the Pack Committee wants to let parents off the hook. If they think they can do everything, they are welcome to give it a try without me.

Seattle Pioneer