den leader box?

Our pack committee just got done watching a BSA video that showed the committee trainer giving the new den leader a den leader box. It looked like it had paper, cups, glue, etc. in it. Does anyone out there uses these and what do you put in it? I liked the idea that you give a new den leader a plastic tub with supplies to get the started. Any ideas?

We usually just have den leaders build their own supplies as needed and have them submit expenses to the treasurer. At least in my den, many of the expenses are often just absorbed by parents hosting the particular meetings.

The graduating Webelos den leader usually hands off left over supplies to the younger dens.

We don't do a "Leader Box". Most of our Dens meet in the same place (different times/days). We have a large cabinet that has all sorts of supplies in it. You use what you need & replace (or add) when needed.

Our dens all meet in different locations and times. We were hoping to stop some of the stress of being a new den leader by giving them a head start. That way they can work on coming up with their meeting activity. We currently have our "old" den leader pass down a folder with information about how they ran their year as a Tiger, Bear, etc. leader.

Our pack does not have such a thing.

Each den buys supplies with mostly den dues. The Pack had a campout and bought rope for a knot class. I built a rope machine per the Pioneering Merit badge phamplet out of scrap lumber. We have all said it all should go in a box and made available to all dens so they can complete the various rope/knot requirements.

Similar thing happened around leather craft. One den leader bought a number of leather stamps. He suggested it be donated to the Pack to allow other dens to use the supplies. They were encouraging me to pitch in my leather making supplies. I have balked because some of the supplies my Dad saved from my troop when I was a scout 25+ years ago. The additional supplies I purchased out of pocket, not den or pack money. I forsee a need for these supplies when we get to Boy Scouts.

It makes sense for capital expense items to be purchased by the Pack and lent out to dens to complete requirements. It also makes sense for some items to passed down. I built flag stands for all the dens. They are painted orange, yellow, Carolina blue, and navy for the various cub ranks. The idea was each year, dens would trade the flag stands to get the proper color. The den flags would have a number on them and the exiting Webelos would turn in their flag and pole to the incoming tiger den. This fall will be the first year to trade.

A craft supplies box might be a good start for new den leaders. Of course they will get consumed. Maybe a portion of the den dues is allocated to periodic restocking and eventually the exiting Webelos passes on thier stocked box to the incoming tigers.

I have found very little need for craft supplies but rather materials that like wood and nails for building projects, food for cooking requirements, paper and pencils for recording. I did make some plaster casts of animal tracks but allowed the boys to take them home as souvieners. I would happily donate the remainder to the Pack for other uses.

Our pack uses Den Leader boxes. They have a wide variety of things in them. Cubscout leaders book, beltloop and sports/acedemic pins requirements, meeting dazzlers, boyscout handbook, knot tying guide, tour permits, complete set of cubscout handbooks, first-aid kit, American flag, etc. I have found the materials to be very helpful in planning my meetings. The den leader coordinator is in charge of the boxes. They are collected and inventoried every June. We get them back in August in time for the next scouting year. I would reccomend that they be used as they are a great resource for any leader.

I found a answer to my own question and wanted to share it with everyone. In the Cub Scout Leader book in section 20-3 under Den tools & Equipment there is a nice list of sugguested items you might carry in your den box.