inherited a small pack

I am posting this for a friend who has no computer. He just became the Committee Chair for a really small pack. It will likely grow from here on out (long story), but they basically have just been doing "their own thing" for awhile now and some of it isn't even scouting correct. Several of the requirements in the past years weren't done, yet the boys are wearing the badges. Yes, it's complicated. Basically, this group lost a lot of leaders and untrained parents were trying to keep it together, and now it's a little messed up. Even with training from last year, it's still messed up. How can he fix it and not alienate everyone in the process? Suggestions?

Mollie,

First of all, congratulations to the new CC for taking on this challenge!

Sounds like a lot of work needs to be done to get this Pack back on track, but it can be done.

Number 1, I'd suggest that the CC get his committee formed, and get them on board with the idea of getting the Pack to a point where it is "scouting correct". Same goes for getting a CM on board with the same attitude. They should understand that they need to give it some time; if the pack has been operating on its own for awhile, you probably just can't "flip a switch" and fix everything without alienating many people. If you can't get people out to training right away (although I think it's really mandatory that they get to it as quickly as possible), at least go to your Scout shop and pick up copies of the leader materials. Those can get you started down the right path.

Then, get everyone trained. Most programs get into trouble, I think, because they're not aware of the resources that are available through the Scouting program. Nobody has to go it alone. Start going to your local Roundtable meetings. That will put you in touch with other Packs that you might be able to visit to see how others get it done.

I wouldn't go back and review what the older Scouts have already done with the idea of taking away badges and the like. It's possible, of course, but I really don't think that that will work; that's just my gut feel. Going forward, tho, everyone should understand that the books describe the requirements, and the DLs should expect those requirements to be met if a Scout is going to earn an activity badge, a rank, or whatever. You'll have a certain amount of "crossover", I suppose, where you'll hear a certain amount of "how come those guys didn't have to do that", but you'll just have to work through that.

Use the program guides to start with to help plan the monthly activities, and if you don't do anything else first, make it FUN!

Take it a step at a time, be flexible where you have to, not to change the program, but to make sure you get there; sometimes the quickest path between 2 points isn't always a straight line. And remember, as volunteer leaders, it's only AN HOUR A WEEK! Hahahahahaha

Mollie:

Is your friend trained? Does the new Committee Chairman know what the pack should ultimately look like?

If so, I'd recommend he do the following:

1. Start getting parents to take on "tasks" rather than "positions." Don't worry about who is registered as a den leader, who's a committee member, etc.

He should start asking things like, "Mr. Smith . . . would you handle the pack check book and make a report at our parents meeting for the next couple of months?" Committee member in the bud.

Or . . . Mrs. Keene -- would you handle the planning for our June picnic? Another committee member in the making.

Perhaps den leadership of meetings (outings, or pack meetings) could be rotated among the parents until a clear leader emerges.

Whenever someone takes on a task, give them the proper forms for the task -- i.e. advancement reports for whoever is "picking up the badges" for the month, etc.

Do you see what I'm saying. I find it easier to recruit to the task and get agreement to accept the title later. I'm not suggesting the title be hidden . . . but what people really want to know is "what do I need to do?"

I hope this helps.

Unc.

On-line training cannot and should not take the place of training sessions, but if your friend doesn't yet have it, he can get a good "feel" for the big picture of Cub Scouting as well as the details by reviewing the on-line trainings.

First thing to do: put the past in the past in respect to who is wearing what badge. That is done and over with. It can be hard to do this, but it's not the thing to focus on.

Unc gives good advice. My approach was a bit different though. I recruited 4 new leaders in a short time by having a one-on-one talk, preferably in person, with them (that was 25% of our families!). At that time, the charter simply needed people to fill roles, so there was no time for tasks, though quite frankly, that is exactly what a leadership role: a task. I told them what I saw in them that would benefit the pack, and I was specific.

One of favorite resources is my Cub Scout Leader Handbook. I took it to every meeting, shared it with others, used it often.

A small pack is not a bad thing. Look at it from a place to start, and then move forward. Congrats to your friend, and I'm so glad he's looking for ways to build up the program. It is not a hard program, using the resources the BSA has does work and makes life much easier, and the investment of time is time well spent. If your friend believed that and can say so with confidence, that will help win others over too. Hope something here is helpful.