I think I'm Done

I have been planning the pinewood derby/camp out for the last month (really longer). We were supposed to meet at 10:30 this morning at the CO. At 9:30 I called the current CM to see if he needed a hand loading the truck. He told that he had it under control but he would not be there till noon. So I called the other den leaders to tell them about the change of PLANS. One said she had to work all day; one never did answer the phone. Then I called the other members of my den. Two said that they were not going to make it; two said that they would be there but are not going to be there for the campout. So we will have a total of 6 scouts at the pinewood derby and 3 scouts at the campout. I have been thinking about changing packs, but been holding off because the CM is going to Boy Scouts soon and I am taking over as CM. This is just disappointing. I have been calling people over the last month making sure that they are ready for the event.

I am just pouting :(

Zippie:

About all I can offer you is sympathy. It sounds to me like this pack desperately needs you to take over as CM. I do hope you cancelled the trip if indeed everyone else cancelled out on you. If you did cancel, it should be up to the people who backed out to inform the Cubs that they couldn't go.

Unc.

Zippie,

I feel your pain. If people would realize the time and effort you put in to making a dazzling program they may not back out at the last minute. I have been in the same spot a couple of times when well planned activites were poorly attended. You have to bounce back gather support from other active and involved parents and keep putting together good program.

Remember, Its all for the boys -- and they NEED you.

Hang in there and Good Luck with your future activities and CM. It is a very rewarding job when you see the smiles and joy of boys enjoying the program

It turned out ok I guess. We had a turnout of 10 scouts. 5 are staying over night at the CO. It took a while to get it going; a lot of people were late. Something I forgot when setting this up was that it is festable time in New Orleans. The Jazz Fest plus a lot of schools are doing fairs. Thank you guys for listening to me whine. BTW my son won first in the kids division and I came in second in the adult division. See ya on my way to the campout!!!

Zippie, glad it turned out OK - I don't know how many school fairs you're dealing with, but we have found it worth the effort to have our school calendar and community calendar in front of us when we do planning...we missed the boat on one this year and had to reschedule a campout because the high school graduation was that weekend.

Vicki