Field Trip Prayer

Does anyone say a prayer before starting a field trip. I heard in my training classes that a prayer should be said. Does anyone do this before a field trip, if so what type of prayer should be said.

THANKS!

YIS,

Chris

I do not know if this is what you were looking for but it would seem to fit.

From my personal collection:

Dear God, give us thankful hearts. Keep us from complaining. Help us get along with each other. Keep us cheerful when things go wrong and our plans are upset. We pray that we may grow in love and understanding of one another. Amen

Kristi

Chris, I'm curious which training was it in which you were instructed to say a prayer before a field trip? .

I'm a Cub Trainer myself, and I don't recall anything about a field trip prayer in the syllabus for any course that I teach.

Fred Goodwin

District Training Chairman

Keystone District

Alamo Area Council

Chris, I'm curious which training was it in which you were instructed to say a prayer before a field trip?

It was a cub tiger den leader training, he said it should be done. But he was a Minister so I think that is why he said it. That is why I am curious if it is something most people do or is it something that is rarely done.

YIS,

Chris

Chris:

I've taught the Tiger Leader position specific training, and I can say with certainty that nothing in the syllabus mentions saying a prayer before a field trip.

Now, if your Pack is sponsored by a church, and all your boys are of the same faith, I don't see a problem with a prayer. But if your Pack is sponsored by a school, or if your boys are of different faiths, I'm not sure if a prayer is appropriate.

In any event, it bothers me that a BSA course instructor would deviate from the National syllabus, because we are told by our Council not to deviate. Although we can certainly illustrate points with personal experience.

Fred Goodwin

District Training Chairman

Keystone District

Alamo Area Council

I agree with Fred. While prayers are appropriate in many situations, including travel, within BSA situations I'm only aware of invocations before meals or special ceremonies (like CoHs) and of course, during observances on Sundays. Travel prayers can certainly be/become a unit tradition.

Regardless, please remember to ensure that prayers are non-sectarian and are inclusive of all faiths that might be represented in your unit.