Agnostic parent

Welcome Hoomeye...

You sound similar to my agnostic mom and I wish you the best (she truly is a great parent to have in the Pack and encourages all the boys every time she gets a chance). I believe you will be a strong Akela but as a fair warning, when your boy goes into Boy Scouts, there will be a whole new Pandora's box awaiting him and his beliefs if he decides to become agnostic as well. This is not my humble opinion, just a small dose of reality. In the meantime, have a great time in Scouting.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hoom, welcome to the party (better late than not at all!)

Yes, flame wars in other forums can be eye-popping! Some people live for the excitement. But then, they aren't bound by a promise to obey the Scout Oath and Law.

I encourage your son to join Scouting. He will have lots of fun and will be a better person for it, regardless of his religious beliefs (or those of his parents). Even if you decide not to register as an adult, you will still be able to help your son advance in Cubs.

First, the implication that I'm undecided is misguided. Being agnostic doesn't mean I haven't decided whether to believe in God. It means that deep down I can't take something so fundamental as the existence of a higher being on faith and I believe that I never will be able to. I have made my decision. My 6-year old son knows this and has absolute faith in God despite this. He has made his decision. While people change throughout their lives, I don't consider myself to be seeking religion. I find it fascinating, but am not myself religious, partly because every religion I have encountered has been unable to refrain from excluding others that don't share the same beliefs.

Second, no one really answered my question. Can you tell me about this pandora's box of boy scouting or is it some big cult secret that the uninitiated aren't allowed to know about? I'm really not trying to spark a nasty debate. I just need to know.

Hoomeye, to directly answer your questions:

Your son's father living in another state will have no affect on him in scouting. When it comes time for your son to fullfill the (very simple) religious requirements at each level in Cub Scouting, they are easily completed by discussing them with his father over the phone.

You are Akela, along with his father, teachers, etc. You are Akela, regardless of your convictions regarding the existence of God. Period. As Akela, Cub Scouting only expectation of you is that you participate with your son in various activities and sign off in his book when they are completed.

There is no Pandora's box waiting in the future. As long as your son professes faith in God and carries out his religious duties, as taught to him by his parents, he is doing all that Scouting requires of him.

Enjoy these next few years with your son. They will fly by so fast it'll make your head spin.