dual registration weblo and boyscout

I have a boy who meets all the requirements to join our troop. Just completed his arrow of light. He would like to join our troop. HOWEVER, his weblo II den is continuing to meet till the end of school when the pack does the crossover. The boy would like to join our troop but still be able to participate with his buddies in the den.

QUESTION: Can a boy maintain his registration with the cubscouts and register with the troop?

Even if he can only be legitimately registered in one program or the other, I'd doubt that his current den leader is going to kick him out because he went and registered with the troop. I'd think he could certainly continue to attend the Webelos den meetings if he really wanted to.

But normally it would seem like a better plan for him to stick with his buddies in Cub Scouts and have them all cross over and start in Boy Scouts together. Although, as with many things, it depends...

Oak Tree

IMHO, It's better for the boys to move on up to scouts around Feb-March timeframe. This gives them a few months and 2-3 campouts to get to comfortable with the troop and Boy Scouting before he goes off to Summer Camp for a week. Crossing over at the end of May means he probably will get only one (if that) chance to camp before Summer Camp.

I've seen it work, however. Last year we had a boy who's family was relocating to the area the week AFTER summer camp. He visited our troop during his Spring Break and decided that this was the troop he wanted to be in. His parent sent him to town a week early and he went to Summer Camp with a group of virtual strangers. Of course, by Tuesday, he was just one of the guys.

You know I keep gett'n a little bit kornfused here...I keep see'n posts about March and April and even May Blue and Golds (and Cross-overs)...

Seems the Blue and Gold is supposed to be Cub Scoutings Birthday Party... right?

Cub Scouting was 'founded' in (if I remember right 1930) taking BSAs February 'birthdate... ergo the recent 75th ANIVERSARY ...why are units having 'birthday parties' months and months late?? Cross-overs do not have to coincide with BLUE and GOLD but as EagleInKy notes late cross-overs put the young lads at risk of a bit of 'camping shock' to have to face a whole week-long camping experienceat Summer Camp with little or no 'preparation' time...Just curious as to why???

I had the same problem with our B&G. I got the 'that's the way we have always done it' speech from the old CM, I thought our new CM was going to fix it and he said at our first meeting with new leadership 'that's the way we did it when I was a cub'. I tried to explain why, but he still thinks that CM means 'king of the pack'.

Our pack had traditionally crossed the WebII's over in November. The year my son was to cross over, the leader of the other WebII den said his boys wouldn't be ready til March, so the CM asked us to wait. My son earned his AOL in early Nov., and had already earned ALL the activity pins (he was in another youth program as well). After talking with CM, SM, and an ASM our family knew for a long time, he went ahead and joined the troop. He then came back for the actual AOL/crossover ceremony that was held at the end of March. His stuff was dated for the actual date that he received the AOL, not the date of the ceremony.

Since I was the den leader, I stayed with the pack til March, and I often had my son help out with den meetings. It worked out well for all of us.

Our Blue and Gold is in February and that is when the boys move to Boy Scouts...

We Crossover our WebI to Web II at crossover in June.. Individual boys can move up after that if they are 5th graders.. correct ??

The Webelos can transfer to Boy Scouts if he has:

- Completed his Arrow of Light OR

- Completed 5th grade OR

- Is 11 through 17 years old.

Once the boy has joined Boy Scouts, he can no longer earned any Webelos awards (badges, Arrow of Light, etc.). But awards that have been earned can be presented to them.

At least that's how I read the regulations.

Having watched it from both sides the last 5 years, I think a March crossover works well. As was said, it gives the Scout time to settle before Summer camp.

It would be nice if a standard transition time was set. Troops that our fed from multiple packs can have new Scouts trickling in over three or four months. This makes it hard for the troop guides to organize the new Scout program.

DonM

If I'm not mistaken...

a young man can join boy Scouts when

- he is 10-1/2years old and has

completed his Arrow of Light OR

- Completed 5th grade OR

- Is 11 through 17 years old.

The recent addition of an age requirement to the timing of AoL crossover has been dscussed at length in the forums this year.

Bob

We hold our B&G in February. We have our graduation and crossover ceremony the first weekend of April. We just had a successful campout and graduation ceremony this past weekend.

The boys recieved their AOL at the February B&G. They then have the formal graduation to troops the first weekend of April. They are allowed to participate in the March Pack meeting if they choose. I don't believe they hold any den meetings betweent B&G and Graduation.

Boy I don't like it when Cubs hold crossover until May. The first thing that is happening is Summer Camp. The new boys haven't had a chance to get involved with the Troop. They really need that before going to summer camp. It is better is you can crossover in Feb. or March. This way the new boys can start working in the patrol system.

The group that crossed over the year before my boys didn't move into the troop until the middle of May. Summer camp was the 2nd week of June.

They were lost. Didn't really have a good camp experience. They didn't feel like they were part of the troop hadn't been able to build friendships within the troop.

Our boys crossed over in December. By the time summer camp came they had formed a new patrol and were very well involved with the other boys.

Linda J is on the beam with her realization that late cross overs hurt the Webelos IIs...They are like fish out of water...Every Webelos I leader owes it to his/her boys to investigate the Boy Scout programs available to the Pack (all or most of the potential Troops your Webelos may eventually join) and determine the structure of these troops' New Scout Patrol program.

Most troops have an ongoing NSP program that is 'set' into the annual planning/event calendar...(usually during the JULY -AUGUST period the year before actual crossover.) In many troops the New Scouts join the troop in February, March or even April. The Troop's Boy Scout Program for NSPs is designed to get the boys comfortable and functioning as a patrol by summer camp so that they can be successful in the summer camp setting.

It is best for your boys, that if you discover the troop most of your Packs earlier Webelos II ended up joining has its NSP program gearing up for March...you need to modify your pack program to 'cross' the boys over in March.

In our Troop, we end up every year having the same Pack, up the road, come to visit us in April for their May cross-over/AoL ceremony...We have three other Packs that cross-over boys in March and our NSP program has been geared for March crossovers for years and years... Almost without exception these Webelos II leaders come back to us with a 'version' of "most of our boys want to join your troop but they don't cross-over until May 18 and by then they are so far behind your other NSPs"...but this Pack keeps crossing over in May!

WEBELOS II programs should be tailored to 'ship' the Webelos over to Boy Scouts in a seamless, painless process. By this 'stage' in the boys scouting 'career', getting them settled into Boy Scouts and ready for their first summer camp should 'trump' any Pack tradition or program schedule...

SO Webelos leaders; find out about the local troops and their New Scout Patrol Program...then mold your Webelos II

effort to seamlessly merge into the Boy Scout Program...your boys will be glad you did (and far better served!)

YiS

Anarchist