Lost Webelos I wants to come back NOW for Webelos II

I don't have an up to date Webelos Scout Handbook at hand. It would be a big help if someone could post the AOL Requirements.

Tommy is 11

Tommy is in the 5th Grade.

Tommy quit in June or Maybe in August.

My old book states:

Be active in your Webelos den for at least six months since completing the fourth grade (or for at least six months since becoming 10 years old), and earn the Webelos badge.

So When was Tommy's birthday?

There are however other requirements that he might not be able to meet.

It states:

With your Webelos den, visit at least

one Boy Scout troop meeting,

and one Boy Scout-oriented outdoor activity.

If the other Webelos Scouts in the Den are gone and he didn't do this with them he can't meet the requirement.

Much I would love to see the Lad get his AOL, I think that he has missed this boat. In fact he can't come back to the Pack, he has aged out. Every effort ought to be made to get him into the best troop in the area and off to summer camp.

Eamonn.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with ScoutNut, the important thing is for this boy to join a Boy Scout troop, which he can do right now (being 11) without earning the Arrow of Light and even without a "crossover" ceremony. However, there is no reason why he cannot be part of the "crossover" ceremony, he just won't get the Arrow of Light. It would be nice if he could get the Arrow of Light (because it is the one Cub Scout award that goes on the Boy Scout uniform and is one of the two youth "ranks" that has a corresponding "knot" on the adult uniform, but that is getting a bit ahead of ourselves...) However, the Arrow of Light is not essential and is not worth "bending the rules" if it is going to get other people (including your son) up-in-arms, and is definitely not worth delaying his entry into a troop. On the other hand (what's that, about 3 hands now?) look closely at the "age" option for the "time" requirement, which is be active for 6 months since turning age 10, and see if he met it before becoming inactive. It may just be a matter of adding a few weeks now, in which case the boy and his parents need to be given the options and use their own judgment.

Ive gone back to this thread a dozen times. Its intriguing because the kid seems to be drawn to the program.

Here at the end of March I see no way that this boy could legitimately earn the AOL, and I agree with those that say he should go directly to the troop.

There is a great lesson here about communicating, listening, and directing our children. ScoutMomAng did the all the right things. To her credit, she even gave the parent a chance to sign up at Re-charter time.

I cant help but think that someone wasnt listening and it wasnt ScoutMomAng.

Eamonn,

I picked up the new Webelos book in preparation for summer.

The relevant points you posted are still valid.

Also:

It clarifies that you cannot use a den trip to Boy Scout meeting for Outdoorsman and for AOL. (2 visits required) Ditto the Webelos overnighter.

Also, AFTER all of the other things are completed, he must get together for a meeting with parents and troop (ie: SM)

I think any positive that would accrue to this boy in getting the AOL would be more than countered by the negative accrued to the boys who stuck together.

He doesn't need the AOL to be a Boy Scout, get him into Scouts and wish him well. Sometimes hard lessons are the best lessons.

As I said before, ALL other requirements are met except, Readyman, which could be done in a weekend, meeting with the scoutmaster(which would be easy enough to do this week) and the 6th month requirement. I guess I knew the answer to my own question before I asked it but I wanted to make sure I was doing the right thing, or at least the most common thing, before I did it.

I KNOW the 6th month requirement rule, I knew it was there. As a matter of fact I've been pushing one boy who has repeatedly missed meetings the last couple of months (because Dad has been gone...military). I pushed the other boy, "Jordan", on several occassions and reminded him 6 months, 6 months, 6 months. I took on a new boy in early September only after making sure he would meet the 6 month requirement for AOL.

In my honest opinion Tommy shouldn't be allowed to get the AOL because he has not been ACTIVE for 6 months. However, before the arguement came up with his parents I wanted to make sure everything I was about to tell them was going to be "Kosher", if you will. Besides all that, Tommy or his parents have not returned my call yet.

My son would be drastically upset with me because I wouldn't let him miss a meeting for anything, unless he was sick or it didn't pertain to him (which wasn't really relevant but those were the rules we set as his parents). I know in my heart of hearts that I would not be able to explain to my son how Tommy could just skip in after all this time and get his AOL.

I would LOVE to see Tommy get his AOL, just as I am as excited as all the boys getting their AOL. My goal when I started Webelos, okay not when I STARTED Webelos but when I got into it, was that all boys would have the opportunity to earn all 20 pins before earning their AOL and crossing over. Around here is not "normal" for a boy to earn all 20 pins before crossing over or earning their AOL, but I wanted them to attain that goal. Out of 7 boys, 8 if you count Tommy, I managed to get 3 boys to earn all 20! I feel that is an accomplishment in itself around here. Next year I will set my goal higher than three, but I have to remember, "I put the program out there, what they do with it is their own call"

Thanks to all of you who have helped me resolve this problem and helped me to answer my own question.

Anarchist as for the "BSA BOY SCOUT JOINING REQUIREMENTS- age eleven or finished fifth grade or AoL...(for young over-achievers?)" Young over-achievers?...nope that is for the boys like my son, who's in the 5th grade, still only 10, and will crossover 5 April (remember school is out mid-May here). He will not turn 11 until 2 weeks before school starts and he will be in the 6th grade. Does that make him an "over-achiever"? Not necessarily, just means he snuck in because of age requirements for school cutoffs. Doesn't mean he is not as smart or smarter than the other kids he is in school with either, although he is a straight A student.

Thanks again, to all of you who have helped me out with this issue.

I do appreciate each and every one of you.

Angela

It is my understanding that while we tend to use dens as a per rank grouping, it is not really required. In small Packs they may combine all Webelos into one den. I am not 100% certain if this meets everyone's definition of BSA kosher, but I think it makes sense. Effectively, you will have one Webelos Den consisting of 1 Webelos II and 7 Webelos Is.

(We only have two Webelos IIs to be next year.)

Webelos are Webelos, regardless of age or grade level. So, you have two choices: Recruit new 4th graders now OR combine into one den. My vote? Recruit like crazy NOW! Resident summer camp* for Webelos between 4th and 5th grade is the best!!!! AND it's the best recruiting aide I've ever come across. Go for it and he'll have classmates for a year of fun, fun, fun! OK, I'm a little over the top, but (to paraphrase Barry's line) I love this Webelos stuff!

*Your profile doesn't say where you are, but even if your council doesn't have resident camp for Webelos, I'll wager two or three council patches that a neighboring council does.

The most recent requirments for the Arrow of Light Award:

1. Be active in your Webelos den for at least 6 months since completing the fourth grade (or for at least six months since becoming 10 years old), and earn the Webelos badge.

2. Show your knowledge of the requirements to become a Boy Scout by doing all of these:

* Repeat from memory and explain in your own words the Scout Oath or Promise and the 12 points of the Scout Law. Tell how you have practiced them in your everyday life.

* Give and explain the Scout motto, slogan, sign, salute, and handclasp.

* Understand the significance of the Scout badge. Know its parts and tell what each stands for.

* Tell how a Boy Scout uniform is different from a Webelos Scout uniform.

* Tie the joining knot (square knot)

3. Earn five more activity badges in addition to the three you already earned for the Webelos badge. These must include:

Fitness (already earned for the Webelos badge)

Citizen (already earned for the Webelos badge)

Readyman

Outdoorsman

At least one from the Mental Skills Group

At least one from the Technology Group

Two more of your choice

See Webelos Handbook, page 74 for the activity badge groups.

4. With your Webelos den, visit at least

* one Boy Scout troop meeting,

* one Boy Scout-oriented outdoor activity.

(If you have already done this when you earned your Outdoorsman activity badge, you may not use it to fulfill requirements for your Arrow of Light Award requirements.)

5. Participate in a Webelos overnight campout or day hike.

(If you have already done this when you earned your Outdoorsman activity badge, you may not use it to fulfill requirements for your Arrow of Light Award requirements.)

6. After you have completed all five of the above requirements, and after a talk with your Webelos den leader, arrange to visit, with your parent or guardian, a meeting of a Boy Scout troop you think you might like to join. Have a conference with the Scoutmaster.

7. Complete the Honesty Character Connection.

* Know: Say the Cub Scout Promise to your family. Discuss these questions with them. What is a promise? What does it mean to keep your word? What does it mean to be trustworthy? What does honesty mean?

* Commit: Discuss these questions with your family. Why is a promise important? Why is it important for people to trust you when you give your word? When might it be difficult to be truthful? List examples.

* Practice: Discuss with a family member why it is important to be trustworthy and honest. How can you do your best to be honest even when it is difficult?

"Go for it and he'll have classmates for a year of fun, fun, fun!" He's homeschooled so he'd just have a lot of new friends not classmates. But I'm not sure I can do the recruiting at the school....Don't think I could make myself sound excited enough.

"Your profile doesn't say where you are, but even if your council doesn't have resident camp for Webelos, I'll wager two or three council patches that a neighboring council does." I'mIN Panama City, FL...this is the first year ourcouncil has had Webelos resident camp.

"I'm a little over the top, but (to paraphrase Barry's line) I love this Webelos stuff!" I love Webelos too. I wouldn't do any other age level! However, I'm pretty straight forward person so for me to get somebody excited about going to Webelos resident camp that has never been in scouting before...hmmmmm...don't think that is me.

I keep telling the packmaster that he needs to get a paid scouter in there that is used to making those types of pitches and get the boys excited about joining scouts.

Thanks for the input! It is greatly appreciated.

Angela

"Go for it and he'll have classmates for a year of fun, fun, fun!" He's homeschooled so he'd just have a lot of new friends not classmates. But I'm not sure I can do the recruiting at the school....Don't think I could make myself sound excited enough.

"Your profile doesn't say where you are, but even if your council doesn't have resident camp for Webelos, I'll wager two or three council patches that a neighboring council does." I'mIN Panama City, FL...this is the first year ourcouncil has had Webelos resident camp.

"I'm a little over the top, but (to paraphrase Barry's line) I love this Webelos stuff!" I love Webelos too. I wouldn't do any other age level! However, I'm pretty straight forward person so for me to get somebody excited about going to Webelos resident camp that has never been in scouting before...hmmmmm...don't think that is me.

I keep telling the packmaster that he needs to get a paid scouter in there that is used to making those types of pitches and get the boys excited about joining scouts.

Thanks for the input! It is greatly appreciated.

Angela

Ang,

The more facts I see in this boy's case, the more I think that he may qualify for the Arrow of Light after all. He turned 10 in late December or early January, and I take it he was active in the Webelos 1 den at that time. He remained active "through June" which I will take to mean until the end of June or thereabout. That adds up to 6 months or very, very close to it. Reading the requirement literally, there are 2 options, and he meets (or can in a few weeks) one of them. Whether the person who wrote the requirements intended for them to be applied this way is somewhat doubtful in my mind, but that is what they say. If he meets the requirements "just barely" while the other boys (including your son) far surpassed them, he still met the requirement. Those with perfect attendance and 20 activity badges no doubt got a lot more out of the Webelos program and in all likelihood are better prepared to be Boy Scouts, but that does not change who earned the Arrow of Light.

NJCubScouter and Oaktree

Thanks for opening the blinds, so to speak. I really appreciate it. I didn't see the requirements that way really. I saw the requirement as be active in your den for 6 months after earning the Webelos badge, but now that I go back and look at it, it doesn't really say that does it? That's what I get for reading into it I guess. And you are exactly right, if he barely earned it so be it...my son, however earned it and did get more out of Webelos and cub scouting than did Tommy.

I don't think my son will have a problem understanding this issue, he's a smart boy and he would want his friend to get the AOL if he truely earned it even if it was just barely.

My only problem now is I can't seem to get in contact with the boy or his parents. Maybe the boy was right, dad (or maybe it was mom)said it was too late...I don't know but I can't force them to come back. I already feel like I beat a dead horse from August through December to get him to come back.

Maybe once he's out of school for the summer and all the boys head off to middle school next year he will see that he is really missing it and will come back in the fall (late summer around here), as a Boy Scout. I just know that later in life he is going to kick himself a thousand times for not earning the highest award in cub scouts.

Kids are funny...takes a lot to get them to look at the big picture!

Thanks again,

Ang