Can't take much more, time for action

cajuncody,

Don't get your bussel in a bind and don't listen to what some folks tell you you don't have authority to do (though they are right) to 'steal' a crappy advertizing line...JUST DO IT!

Get your adult applications filled out for each position CC on down...RUN DON'T WALK TO THE COR and or IH (instutional head) or CO and get them to approve and sign the applications...over night to the COUNCIL office with checks(keep copies) and get signed receipt

and then tell old CM to give you the missing equipment or you'll call the cops and then to get the heck out of dodge ...the pack has moved on! Then you are legal and BW can go back into retirement... for tonight anyway (love ya BW!)

IF old CM wants a job let district find one for him!

"don't listen to what some folks tell you you don't have authority to do (though they are right)"

Don't listen to people even though they are right. Well there's a strategy for success.

(feeling is mutual Ana)

OK Kristi, it sounds like even though, as CM, you are the only "real" person on the charter you have no actual authority to do anything about your problem. It seems that even alerting the COR to the fact that he was indeed the COR was beyond your authority.

However, IMHO, unless you want to find/start a new Pack, your options are to sit back and watch as whats left of this Pack self destructs because you do not have the authority to do anything, or - do something.

Get the CO & COR together & let them know unless they DO SOMETHING ASAP, they will no longer have a Cub Scout Pack to worry about. There is no time to "get to know the people". The CO's Pack is in a crisis situation RIGHT NOW. The Pack needs a CC & at least the minimal # of committee members & it needs them on the Charter NOW. If I were you I would let them know that unless this happens they will also have to look for a new CM because you CAN NOT work in a vacuum without any support.

As for your Den/Pack meetings, get hold of the microphone & do NOT give it to him. You are the CM, that means YOU are the MC, ringmaster, Chief Babbler, whatever. At meetings, have one of the other Den parents deal with the Den while you are dealing with the Pack. Get on the mic & welcome the families, call up the boys for the flag ceremony. STAY ON STAGE NEARBY. After the flag ceremony grab the mic & release the boys to their Den meetings - quickly.

If this guy trys to start announcing something, interrupt him. Thank him for his time & trouble, but sorry, this is now happening (whatever is next on the agenda for the evening) & he needs to sit down. He may be registered as something (although not CM or CC), but whatever it is, it doesn't mean a hill of beans because YOU, as registered CM, are in charge of the meeting! (You DO have that much authority!)

Good Luck, & you might want to start shopping around for a new Pack, just in case this one implodes.

cajuncody, (and BW)

Actually, yes BW it is a strategy for success (just ask George Bush and Carl Rove). Kristi can either watch the program spiral down or she can energize it again...and all I have counciled her to do is get into compliance with your beloved "BOOK" quickly.

The fact that she might have to bend (or even break) the chain of command to get it done seems a small thing in light of the situation and the goal. What the old sergeant once told the troop.. "sometimes 'tis better to ask for forgiveness,... afterwards, than ask for permission"...does ring true here. So what is wrong with lining up a committee and getting in front of the CO? 'cause technically its not in her position discription? Come on now!

So what if its not her job? If not hers...who's? if not now ?... When? (sorry I couldn't help myself).

(back at cha BW...though the 'ana' does hurt my macho image)

If you have a loyal den and 25 more boys waiting to "come back", just call the DE and offer to form a new unit if he can find you a CO. Problem solved. It sounds like the current CO doesn't care whether their Pack folds or not, and that's something you can't win.

No Offense to some of you on this thread but as a assistant cubmaster/denleader/ comittee member and I am day camp director/district committe member here is my Take on the situation. As there is not an active registered committee here is what I would suggest to do.

Call a ADULT Meeting and at this meeting you want your self, the former CM, the COR, DE, Unit Commissioner, all parents in the Den any Temp or potentional Comittee members and sit and discuss all that is going on and if the former CM seeks to stay with the pack have the Charter Orginazation release his charter. And End that meeting dismissing the former CM and hand him his Charter and let him have any thing from old pack he wants dont fight it. Second Have all the same people there set Up a full comittee, CM and den leaders ect. Pick a new pack number and sign a New Charter.

By doing this you not only resolve your problem with the CM you do not kick him out. He just loses his charter and you start a New Pack, clean slate and re-establish a new relationship with the packs Charter Orgization and Rep. This would take a lot of team work and re-building is not easy you can do as much but I just started a new pack from scratch this is our 2nd year and we are doing great. just work hard and keep up good work.

For those that say shes out of line...I say GOOD sometimes it takes that one person to step out and up and say things are not right. If no-one did then we would not be where we are today You forget that Scouting was Started BY 1 man.

And also REMEMBER WE ARE HERE FOR THE KIDS. Trust me if I had this problem me and the old CM would be having a little pow wow.

also if the charter orgization wont get involved the FIND A NEW CHARTER ORGINAZTION

"if the former CM seeks to stay with the pack have the Charter Orginazation release his charter. And End that meeting dismissing the former CM and hand him his Charter and let him have any thing from old pack he wants dont fight it."

I don't think so. The charter does not belong to the former CM. The charter belongs to the Pack and the Charter Organization. The Charter Organization also owns all of the Pack's equipment, not the former CM.

Cajuncody,

I'm with anarchist. There are many types of power. One is the official positional power that attaches to the office of Cubmaster, which would not provide the ability to do what you're suggesting. But as the newly appointed Cubmaster, with the respect, presumably, of the other parents in the pack, you have a great deal of power.

The old CM didn't have the official authority to do what he did to run the pack into the ground, either. If he could use such "non-existent" power to hurt a pack, you should also be able to use it to build up the pack. Take anarchist's advice, get things straightened out on paper, too, which can only help things.

Oak Tree

True but it is a easy way to get rid of him. Plus signing a new charter and getting a New Pack number is a way to distance your self from the old CM problems and ways start off new with a clean slate.