TF requirements as Webelos?

Our local district sponsored a Webelos Woods camporee last fall, and our troop had a great camping experience with our local 2nd year Webelos. Many have now joined the troop and are working on Tenderfoot. They've asked me why the camporee doesn't count for their Tenderfoot camping requirement, since they did it with the troop. I believe that it doesn't meet the TF requirement, but I want to know how others have explained this. The way the TF requirement reads it just says to spend one night on a troop or patrol campout, it doesn't say when. Unlike 2nd class, which says "since joining..."

They were not Boy Scouts at that time. They were not members of the troop, only guests. How would they have felt as Webelos if someone walked in and said "oh, I've done all this before just I wasn't a Cub Scout, so give me my awards"?

The Official answer to this would be that the scouts in question would have fulfilled the requirements for earning the A.O.L., but not the requirements for Tenderfoot. This is done so that the youth may have an insentive to stay active in his unit, and participate in unit campouts.