Summer Program

Good Afternoon!

I am going to be a cubmaster for a Pack that is in "Survivor Mode" We started with 16 boys now we have 8 in the whole Pack. Right now I am the TC Den Leader. Our DE wants us to run a Summer Program. He also wants us to get the Kindergartners that will be Tigers into that program.

What I wanted to find out if anyone else does a summer program, and what are some suggestion. Right now we have a meeting every Friday. Should we just have 1 meeting a month in the summertime?

Please Help! :-)

YIS,

Chris

you should have a bare minimum of one meeting a month. We are going to do everyother week. Keep it fun and outdoors. Go to a ballgame as a pack. Keeps those other dad's involved that way. Go hiking, fishing, picnic or if your upto it, do a pack campout. Have fun.

Don't do "meetings" in the summer. Offer a fun program. If you do at least one activity a month, and at least 1/2 of our boys participate, you'll qualify for the Summertime Pack Award, and have a much greater retention. Here are some ideas:

- Go to amusement park

- Hold a pool party

- Go to a baseball game

- CUB DAY CAMP!

- Fishing derby

- Picnic / outdoor games

- Cub-olympics

- Rocket Derby (flying model rockets or rockets on a wire)

- Raingutter regata

We are in the process of establishing a summer program as well.

I have discovered that the local Council office has many fliers and such from local minor and major league sports teams that have special 'Scout' days in the summer. Discounts on admission and a ready-made environment for Cubbing fun.

We are also really trying to get everyone to a Cub camp. It not only is fun, but the kids get a headstart on their new rank. (much easier to find time for things in summer than during school)

We are also planning hikes in local wildlife areas/parks; participate in a parade; conservation projects; etc.

As your DE suggested, we are also adding a Spring recruiting effort to get new Tigers a chance to join the fun. Traditionally, they have waited until school starts and by the time the Tigers get up and running it is October.

We have discovered that 'if you build it, they will come'. Our problems were overcoming a 'reputation' of lack of fun. Families are looking for a wholesome, fun, growth-oriented experience for their kids.

Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

We have a 'committee' who organizes our summer-time program (I happen to be the chairperson). We usually organize about 12-14 events, 3-5 for each month. We try to organize many of them as 'family' activites, also giving more Scouts the ability to earn their Summer-time Pin.

Some of the events we participate in are our local Memorial Day Parade, Flag Retirement Ceremony, Cub Scout Day Camp and Parent/Son overnighter (at our local Scout Camp and only open to registered Cub Scouts), PawSox Scout Days, local water park and amusement park, fishing derby/day trip, and a car wash (fundraiser). Some of the events are free or we're able to get a group discount.

Is there another local Pack you could join in with to organize some of them? We have 2 other Packs in our town and we always invite them to sign up at any of our summer activites (they don't plan anything other than the Scout offered activities). Hope you have some luck with it!

I have not done yet,this is my first year a cub leader, but I have lots of ideas running through my head. Help out the VFW putting flags on the graves of the Military Veterans. March in the Memorial Day Parade. Find a stream, or roadway that has trash that needs to be picked up. Plant a flower bed out on the edge of town where the city limits sighn is. Go for a family/pack bike hike. Have a family cook out and get everyone involved in a soft ball game. Go fly a kit.

Brian

Several years ago my son and I participated in a summer pack program that focused on monthly big events rather than continuing with a weekly type program. Some of the featured activities included a push for Cub Day Camp or Webelos Resident Camps, swim parties, a trip to a nearby battleship, etc.

Seemed to work well as you'll probably find some families and leaders needing a break from the weekly commitment. Also hard to keep all kids during the summer due to vacations and summer sports programs.

Most dens seem to gear their advancement around the school year program. I was visiting with a former Webelos den leader last night who mentioned that his den worked extensively on advancement during the summer. Most of the boys had already earned their Arrow of Light when the start of fifth grade rolled around.