Summertime Blues

It seems my pack thinks the scouts end in April. What is this? I was under the impression that scouts was a year round thing, especially since camp is in July and August. I want to continue through the summer and so does my den, what should I say to the rest of the pack?

Your pack should be scheduling summer activities in quest of the National Summertime Pack Award. Packs who have year-round programs generally have higher retention rates. I have seen Packs who struggle to "get started" again in Sept, and frequently don't get the ball rolling until Oct, Nov or even December, losing boys and leaders in the process.

Our pack used to have a big push to get all scouts to earn their rank by the Blue & Gold. This is the first year that we have done away with that and will be doing a big ceremony for rank advancement at our Pack Meeting in May. This keeps the boys involved until the end of the school year with a greater possibility of sticking around. We also provide a strong summer program with at least 2 pack activities per month along with our District's day camp and resident camp. As CC, I am constantly encouraging the dens to meet as they see fit over the summer. There is no rule stating otherwise.

A little off topic. We have our Blue and Gold in mid April and I prefer it then over February. The latter date gives us more time to complete requirements. Allows kids who have missed a den meeting to catch up. And this year we will have a campout in early May and a den party at the end of May.

As a den we met at least once a month during the summer always at a park or similar venue. Our pack had summer outings as well but these were not well attended.

I feel that in order to have a really strong program the pack has to keep the boys involved over the summer. My dens all decide what they wish to do as far as holding meetings over the summer. This year 2 out of 4 dens will be holding semi-regular meeting thru the summer.

While I agree that one of the advantages is so the boys have more time to complete requirements. I disagree that any boys advancement should be held up for any reason. Once the boy earns anything he should be presented with it at the next pack meeting. This is how BSA says to do it and I have found the boys work harder because they know they will receive recognition and not have to wait.

just MHO

CMF

Our Pack, years ago started a twice a month 'pack /den' meeting when it became apparent that several Den-Dads were baseball 'fans' and their den programs 'died' for the rest of the year when someone called out "Play Ball". In some cases they ruined there dens chances to finish rank programs (thinking they could finish it in September). We regularly offer meetings to work on nature craft even water safety (without the water) classes. it helps with retention and allows boys who don't do baseball to have an activity with friends during the school break. Talk it up with your Dls and see if you can keep the program going...kite days picnics fishing derby and day camp....keep it rolling!

Interesting. Our Pack has used a May Blue and Gold and we are changing it back to February. Rank advancement should be recognized as it happens, not simply at Blue and Gold. We find that having the later date just makes procrastinators out of more parents/kids.

The Blue and Gold can then focus on Webelos crossing over and our May Pack meeting can cross over all of the other Cubs to the next level.

At the same time we are implementing a Summertime program where none has existed.

I expected Scouting to build leaders, I just did not expect it would be me! Like with many things in life, it seems the more you put in, the more you get out. I would recommend having a 'Den' program, but invite everyone from the Pack. If only your den shows up, you still provided the opportunity. You may discover others who want more as well.

Stormbear, WELCOME!

Although your Pack seems to have taken the concept to the extreme, many Packs "take the summer off". It seems crazy to me, and this year we're aiming to improve how we use the summer months.

Our Pack historically does the obligatory minor league baseball game and of course there's Day Camp, but our Dens have not "worked" through previous summers. This year we're (as new CC, I'm) urging them to keep their efforts and meetings going - if only on a less urgent, more activity based, get outside and play, kind of way.

As a model for what we're really shooting for - Our Wolf Den is throwing a graduation Party in early June. We'll plan it as Wolves but celebrate it as Bears - the planning helps meet several Wolf Electives and the actual day in the park will help us meet several Bear Achievements and Electives.

We're also inviting this year's Tigers and many of the activities we're planning (the obstacle course, treasure hunt, nature hike, large area game, etc.) will help the new Wolves meet Achievements, Electives and Bobcat requirements.

Being, A Game With a Purpose, it seems wasteful to let summer slide away without taking advantage of it!! Summertime theme's are perfect: Destination Parks!, Play Ball!, Campfire Tales and Traditions.

Definitely perfect opportunities to work on Cub Outdoor Award, Leave No Trace, some of the sports belt loops and pins, etc.

Good Luck, Have Fun -- Just model the desired behavior and watch everyone else start to get the idea!!!

jd

I agree with Torveaux, invite the whole Pack. At your Pack's next Committee meeting talk to them about making Cubs be a full year program. If you get no takers then prepare a shedule of your Den's outings/activites from the "end" of the Pack year until your Pack "official" start-up. Pass them out at the next 2 Pack meeting's (March & April) & invite everyone to join you.

Have FUN!

BTW - The purpose of the Blue & Gold is not as the date when everyone gets their rank badge. The Blue & Gold is a birthday party. That is why it is held in February. To celebrate the day that the Boy Scouts of America was incorporated, February 8, 1910. If your birthday was in February would you celebrate it in May instead? I don't think so.

The rank ceremonies started to be held in February at the Blue & Gold because most boys have finished their requirements by then & it was convienient that all of the families were together anyway. However, the main thing that we are celebrating at a Blue & Gold is the birthday of Scouting. Rank celebrations & ceremonies can & should be held WHENEVER NEEDED. You can have a rank ceremony every month if you have even 1 boy who has finished his requirements. That is why rank ceremonies are included in each month's Program Helps.

Yes, by all means, have the rank award ceremonies as the boys earn them. We never wait to pass them out. In May, we've decided to have a big crossover ceremony and give the boys books for their next rank. Our CM will also give a quick message about our summer program and the need to start working on their achievements right away and not wait until September. That way, both boys and parents get the hint and they have their new books in hand to get started and hopefully stay involved over the summer.

Our pack has activities planned for late June, July and August. Most of the dens don't meet during the summer except for the webelos.

The summer activities are family get togethers. They have a specific singular purpose and help retain the sense of community and family int he pack.

June starts with a graduation ceremony then ends with "Water Wars" at a local park- boys bring squirt guns and we play water type games for an afternoon.

July starts with the July Fourth parade and ends with a bike ride.

August starts with a family picnic and ends with a family campout.

It's not a lot of work and it's great seeing all the boys and families over the summer.

Thanks to all the wonderful ideas. Yes I too believe scouts should be year round but I have a Den Leader who is that one nay-sayer, "we have never done that before." He seems to be the only one who doesn't seem to want to participate in summer activities so the rest of us have decided to go ahead without him but he and his den are of course invited to all our summertime fun.

It seems that the biggest reason for not wanting to be involved with scouts in the summer is the baseball season. But as someone pointed out not all the boys do sports. So I will do as much as I can for the boys who want to have fun. I know I am not alone and some of the parents I have talked to think it is a great idea to continue on.