Whittling Chip

Tomorrow we are having a Den Meeting at my home wherein part of the session will be earning the 'Chip'.

One of the parents (an Eagle) will be conducting that training.

Any last minute suggestions? We are planning on using the Ivory Soap. How many bars per boy?

I really want the boys to have a positive learning experience with this. The opportunity to carry a small knife on selected outings gives the boys a sense of pride and helps them learn to be responsible. I never really understood allowing them to win knives as prizes, giving them the training, and then never allowing them the opportunity to 'use' the skill.

When I did this three years ago, I had two rules. First, each boy had to have a parent present (both for safety and so both Scout and parent would know the rules). Second, there would be zero tolerance for fooling around. These were given to the boys and their parents ahead of time.

Also, remember to remind them that earning the Whittling Chip only gives them the right to carry the knife at Cub Scout events. It does not mean they can carry it at school or anywhere else (and I would leave them at home for pack meetings as well).

Not that it matters to a Bear den, but once my oldest reached Boy Scouts, I learned that the Whittling Chip became worthless, at least for that particular troop. They had to earn their Totin Chip before they could carry a knife a a Boy Scout.

Wood popcicle sticks work very well have some on hand.

I excepted any animal carved in soap.

The quality of the carving is not as important as the safe handling of the knife.

Any kind of softer soap works fine.

And another thing, DO NOT do soap carving inside. You will have a real mess to clean up.

We did it at a Cub Skills day in a school once and before we caught him the custodian hit the floor with a wet mop. So now we had wet soap chips. We helped him, but I think we mopped the floor 5 or 6 times to get rid of all the soap.

Do it outside and saveyourself a lot of grief.

Thanks for all of the help.

In a school? Schools generally frown on knives nowadays. Funny, I remember always having a jacknife with me as a kid (5th or 6th grade up). We never considered using it on anyone, or anything for that matter. They were great for a hopelessly knotted, wet, shoelace. Mostly it was just feeling 'big' having it in my pocket.

Unfortunately, outdoors this time of year is not exactly good for manual dexterity. Highs today should be about 40 degrees.

I will make sure that we keep it dry until it is all cleaned up. A dropcloth may work?

Too bad about the soap. I had already purchased a bulk pack of Ivory.

I have the Whittling Chips for immediate recognition, and I bought the Patches as well. Do you think it is best to award the Patch at the Den Meeting or to wait for a Pack Meeting? (Caveat, our next Pack Meeting is Pinewood Derby in ten days.) Also, I have heard conflicting information on wearing the patch (or not). My understanding of Temporary Patches is that they are for wear only if specifically designated for wear (like 75th Anniversary). I have read other places that any Patch, from Pinewood participation to Scout Night at the local bowling alley can go in the Temporary spot. Is there a good spot for the official word?

Torveaux

Definatly use a drop cloth, anything will help. We always give cards and patches for this right away, then recognize them at Pack Meeting.

This like any other temporary patch. You can wear one on the right pocket.

Thanks all.

Everything went well. 5 more Cubs have Whittling Chips.

No injuries, the vacuum handled the mess.

We used cassette tape cases and plastic knives to practice the sharpening process as we did not have enough stones to go around.