Visitng Other Lands

Look for ideas for a Tiger Cub den meeting. Anyone know of a list of internationl Cub Scouts? I was thinking of pen pals for the boys. Asking each boy to make a flag of ethnic background. Bringing in foriegn money. Any other ideas?

Have each Tiger Team bring in a snack of their ethnic foods. (Elective 25)

Have them share any pictures/stories they might have of trips to other countries.

Have each Tiger Team reasearch an international game or song and then teach it to the rest. (Electives 35 & 6)

Have each Tiger Team discover things about an animal from a different country & share it with the rest of the Den. (Elective 31)

Make puppets & put on a puppet show about a different country. Or even Scouting in a different country. (Elective 21)

Being near a university is a great advantage. Each year there is an international festival on a nearby campus that is open to the public. The troop and pack both plan an outing to it. The dozens of nationalities are represented by dance, art, food (for sale), and costume. It is a lot of fun for everyone and a huge success as an outing.

I would check to see if something similar occurs near you.

Greetings,

We are currently living in England. We live on a military base and have a small but wonderful Pack. I think it's great that you are interested in learning about other countries. Our pack has done a couple of campouts with the British scouts and it was a wonderful experience. We have a campout coming up in May were I believe we will be with the British scouts again. Our troop and Pack are also going to be attending a campout in Normandy France in April. What an experience this will be for all of them. My son is Tiger currently and he just cant get enough of scouting. My husband is taking over as Cubmaster in June.

We are in a Cub Scout Pack in Germany and we are also going to Normandy for the Camporee in April. I am told that there will be around 2000 scouts there from Tigers to Eagles.

Anyway, to find some information on Scouts in Germany, look at the web site ScoutNet.de. If you find it in a search engine like Yahoo, you can have it translated. Email their contact person. I am sure that they would love to hear from Packs in the States. Most Germans who are web savy enough to be a contact person on this large of a site will speak English, but it would not hurt to try to be polite in German.

My Den has become friends with a local Pfadfinder (German Cub Scout) group and we really enjoy the learning experience. The last time we met, we each showed charts showing the rank system and the uniforms. Their leader spoke good English and we have three scouts in our Den who speak Deutsch, so it worked out well. We sang a few songs together, same tune, different languages. It was a lot of fun. We are planning a cookout in a few months with them so that we can teach them what hot dogs and smores are.

I doubt that my young Den will ever get a chance like this again once they move back to the States.

Let me get this straight...you are going to show Germans about hotdogs?

Why do you suppose they are called Frankfurters? :)

My dad was stationed at Wiesbaden when I was born. It worked out well given the family heritage is German as well. It is great to hear you are doing joint 'ops' with the locals.

A big thanks to you military families!!

I have a friend who's husband was born in Germany. I took a chance and asked him if he would come to my Webelos den meeting to help with the hertiage beltloop. I wasn't sure he would do it not having a son in Cubs. Boy was I wrong.He was more than happy to help. He went to a German Bakery got the boys snacks.Brought some money,even a pair of Liderhousen(spelling?)he wore as a child.He taught them afew words and played a game. He have since been to 6 dens to help earn their loops.My suggestion is if you know someone ask them to come visit.If they are like Rudi they will enjoy it as much as your den.

Torveaux,

What the Germans know as a frankfurter and what we know as a hot dog are two different things. Their's is generally spicier and served on a brotchen (hard role) with senf (spicy mustard). The German kid's love our hot dogs with the soft buns. Although, the adults think that our bread is too soft, so they ask to put it on the grill for a few seconds and smash it down to harden it.

We got a good laugh out of that.

Ja,

I did not know that the German kids liked the Americanized version better.

Here in Wisconsin there is a large percentage of German and other European immigrants. We are fortunate enough to have quite a few meat markets that make some 'old world' sausages like Bratwurst, Bockwurst, Knockwurst and so on. The kids may like the stuff that tastes like Bologna, but around here it is all about the 'brats'.

I knew about the spicier Frankfurter, but I was generalizing. It just struck me as funny to see in writing.

Enjoy the cuisine, I am jealous!

Just a quick note to let you know the meeting was a big hit. Several boys brought in some interesting things from other countires. Old passports, coins & food. We colored flags. One of the boys brought the exchange student from next door. A beautiful girl from South Africa. She brought a flag and told stories about animals that live in her yard. And...my own little Tiger Cub is in love with her!

Thanks for all the suggestions!