Gift suggestions for Webelos crossing over to Boy Scouts

Hi Folks!

My son's den, Webelos II, are having their B&G on March 20th. The pack always gives the outgoing Webelos a gift & I, along with the DL are trying to think of something useful. Most of the boys have canteens, mess kits & utensils & compasses so I'm stuck for ideas. I've searched the web & that's how I stumbled across this site which I'm glad I did! So if anyone has any ideas, I'd appreciate it! Thanks!

Judy

ADL

We just had our B&G last weekend. This year, we decided to give ceremonial hand-made arrows to our two AOL recepients. They really liked it, and I think it charged up the Webelos 1's. It was a new tradition for our Pack, and hopefully an enduring one that will motivate the Webelos to earn the AOL then cross over to Boy Scouts.

I think the arrows are well worth the expense. However, another tack is to have the Web 2's design their own ceremonial arrow. There's a lot of material on the Net regarding this...

watercub (WDL, CM, ASM)

Our Pack gives the boys their handbook & red shoulder tabs. I usually make them a necker slide.

Other thoughts -walking sticks, sleeping bag pads, BS hat, merit badge book, fleece blanket for use with sleeping bag with a BS patch sewn on (maybe council's patch in center), a patch collector's book with maybe a patch from one of your council's camps to start them off. It all depends on how many boys you have & how much money you want to spend.

Thanks for the ideas! I'm going to tell the DL about them. I should have mentioned that there are 7 boys crossing over & the gift will be about $15.00 per boy. The pack pays for the scouts food & ride bracelet/tokens at Sports Plus where the B&G is going to be held, they have a nice banquet hall. The troop that the boys are going to is going to give each of the boys the troop neckerchief, slide & the Boy Scout handbook. I think most of the boys have a pocketknife, they earned their Whittling Chip during the summer when we went camping.

Judy

Looks like you got the important stuff covered already and are looking for a crossover (rather than AOL gift) but they are already 'equipped' with the basics - mess kits, knife, canteen, compass etc.

So...what do you give the boy that has everything? Here are a few things I have given or seen given.

1. A keepsake box for throwing their patches in that they will accumulate in scouting.

2. A teeshirt printed with Pack XX Survivor with the names of the crossovers listed on the back.

3. A nice picture frame with a den photo and personal scout photo.

4. Those BSA commemorative baseball caps.

5. A handmade hiking staff with all of the cub scout staff emblems attached, with plenty of room for the boy scout rank emblems (this was my favorite to give).

As EIKY'mon said, a personal note from the Cubmaster is always a nice touch.

Best of luck to those new boy scouts.

Everyone,

Thanks for your ideas! I'm going to e-mail the DL the suggestions & see what he has to say. I probably doesn't help that I bought Mark the handbook cover, the red loops & the merit badge requirement book already! I love going to the Scout Shop! I usually give the boys a little something from myself & this year I'm giving them a Boy Scout pencil & pen & the first aid bandana. Thanks again & I'll let you know how things turned out!

Judy

In our pack, the Web 2's get a shadow box with all of the badges, arrow points, belt loops and patches they have earned in their Cub Scouting career displayed. The bottom of the frame has two hooks which hold their arrow from their Arrow of Light ceremony.

My oldest son, now a Life Scout and freshman in high school, still has his shadow box on his bedroom wall. Just the other day, he and another boy from our pack (he and this boy are now SLP and ASPL of our troop) were reminiscing about their crossover and how both of them LOVE their shadow boxes.

Elizabeth