First Pack Camping Trip

The best piece of advise I see here is for you to do your overnighter on Saturday night. Let Friday night be your extra night for the expieracend campers. Doing it this way will also give you an oppurtunity to spend some time getting ready for your acitivities on Saturday.

Expecting non campers to come home from work, pack the car, get to the campground, and get setup is just too much to ask. AND, let's not forget about dinner!!!!

It is far easier to pack up quickly for fast getaway on Sunday morning, then it would be to get there and get setup on Friday night. For the boys who are new to camping, going to bed after spending the whole day in the campground will be better than trying to get them to sleep after just arriving and setting up the tent. Remember, if they arrive Friday night it will be dark long before the boys become comfortable with their surroundings.

One last thing, BE VERY CAREFUL WITH THE TOASTED MARSHMALLOWS.

Good Luck.

ScoutNut, I can't comment on how any particular Council teaches it, but the standard BALOO syllabus (which itself says should not be modified) teaches a one night Pack campout.

Page 105 (Appendix G) shows a sample agenda; although the days aren't listed, its obvious that it implies check-in at 9AM on a Saturday, and breaking camp at 10AM on a Sunday (after a 30 minute worship service).

I've taught three different BALOO sessions in two different Councils, and that's how we did it.

YMMV

Get at least two people BALOO trained. Our first pack camp trip was my Tiger year. Everything was planned. There was only one person BALOO trained.

She was a control freak. Several of the "new parents" ask about training and were told that she was the only one that needed to be trained. (Having spent years in Girl Scouts I knew better)

The day before we were leaving she called the office and informed them that she would not be going to camp and that we could not go. Luckily our CM was an Eagle and when the office called him he went over to th office and they did a quickie training so the boys didn't suffer.

But if there is only one person BALOO trained and that person has to leave everyone has to leave.

When I left the pack there were 8 people BALOO trained.

I agree it's good to have multiple people BALOO trained. But really, if only one BALOO trained leader was on a trip, and the control freak decided to leave, I don't think I'd be leaving. Common sense wouldn't suggest ruining the trip for the kids just because of an adult's actions.

And fgoodwin, I'm intrigued by your post. I'd never seen an interpretation of Pack overnighter that suggested only one night was allowed. I guess I can see how it could be read that way, but every pack I know does two-night overnighters. I was assuming that the BALOO syllabus was just showing you one example. You'd think if packs were only allowed to camp for one night, it would pretty explicitly say so somewhere, wouldn't you?

Oak Tree

'So besides a Fishing Derby and a hike what other suggesions would you experienced leaders have for a pack of about 20 kids (Tigers to 1st Year Webelos) to do?'

Our Pack always works on a belt loop and pin. Also depends on what else is in the area that is going on. We went to a battle re-enactment most recently. It was happening in the town where we camped at. Was fun and interesting.