Cubmaster not doing job

Hi all! Where do I start? We have a large pack and a useless CM. Our B&G was awful. Nothing for the boys to do for 2 1/2 hours. Pinewood Derby is a mess. Finances are too. He has no idea how to get in touch with the Treasurer. We have no committee members. Pack meeting are a free for all. We have someone who would be a great leader. How do we tactfully ask him to step down?

I am a new Tiger DL and he offered me no guidance what so ever. Everything I learned was from books and the internet. I have paid for tons of stuff out of my pocket before I decided to collect den dues.

I am afraid the pack will fold if he doesn't leave.

What do you think?

I think that you should talk to your Unit Commissioner.

I also think that you should take your council's training. It would have helped you to figure out what to do with your den.

BTW - Since all of your Tiger families should be running meetings too, there is no need for you to pay for everything. Let the families buy the things they need for the meetings they are running.

Welcome...I am sorry to hear that your pack events are so miserable...it does not need to be this way.

Typically, such problems are not the blame of one person (your CM). Sounds like you have an absent CC too, and maybe a lot of other folks that are not willing to do anything to help. It may be that he is awful and needs to be replaced, or it may be that he is as frustrated as you are that no one is helping him. Without a committee chair and committee meetings with den leaders supporting him, he really does not stand much of a chance. If you expect him to be 'superman' and make the pack an exciting place all by himself, then that may be asking too much. Some folks can do this, but they are rare and really hinder the ability of the pack to sustain itself after their departure.

"How do we tactfully ask him to step down?"

I wouldn't...yet I would first seek out the CC (your pack has one - at least in name) and with the other den leaders call for a committee meeting to discuss concerns and the future direction of the pack and its activities. Figure out the issues and see if there is a way to help the CM improve his performance (assistance, training, etc.) before calling for his head. Perhaps, your go-getter guy should seek a position as CMA to get his feet wet and start making changes that are necessary. But this issue goes way deeper than your CM...fix that and the CM issue will be much easier.

I'm involved with a similar situation - although it doesn't sound as bad as yours. Lots of people were not happy with the CM, but no one made it known. A few of the leaders got to talking off-line and low and behold, everyone was in agreement. An ACM who is good friends with him was brought into the conversation. Turns out he's been trying to get the CM to step down for a while now. Now, things are in motion, and hopefully we'll have a new CM by the Summer.

My point, find out how the other leaders feel. You may not be alone, and it's much easier to accomplish if you have some others working with you.

The job of running the Pack is not a job for one man. It sounds as if the whole Pack is to blame. How long has the cubmaster been at the helm? Was he the cause of the Pack's demise or desperate state? If so why (too controlling? not practicing what he learned? no help? too demanding? burn out?)? How did he get to be the CM? Where is your CC? Where is the committee? Where are the other den leaders? Is he trained? Are there anyone in your pack trained? If not ... this is your first step. If you don't know how it suppose to be run, then how could you run it?

You shouldn't have to learn from books and Internet. Rely on your District for training. Attend round table.

To ask him to leave will depend on whether or this will correct the situations in your Pack. From your description, I don't think so. I would ask DE or your unit Commissioner to get with the CM to see if you all can revive the pack. That's their job. I would also get all the parents together to talk about the future of the pack and how to go forward, including get committment for helps and fill those emptied positions. If it doesn't work, then punt as Its Me suggested.

Good luck,

1Hour

ps: your COR can ask the CM to step down.

Your user name, Peaceful1, suggests a way to handle this. Come alongside the CM, find ways to help him, be positive and supportive, and don't place blame on one person. Putting the blame on one person is easy to do, but it really doesn't benefit anyone, and in the process it can hurt so many. Being supportive of someone that others want to see go, well that can be tough, but put yourself in his shoes: if people were unhappy with you, would you want them to help you or find ways to remove you? Some leaders think a one-man (or one-woman) can work, but it can't. It takes a team and helping one another. Good luck!