Temporary Den/Pack Attendance

My son, a Webelos, has to have some additional tutoring. The problem is that the only night the tutor has available is the same night as his den and pack meetings. He'll likely have to have this extra night of tutoring for at least two months, maybe more.

I'm considering:

(A) Staying in touch w/his den leader and other parents and keep him up-to-date w/anything they are covering and/or working on

(B) Identifying another night or a weekend day when he can attend another den and pack meeting to keep him involved, keep up his strong attendance record and even to expose him to other scouts.

Anyone deal with this before as a parent and/or a scouter?

I have had scouts take similar 'sabbaticals' to get their grades up. You are doing the right thing by trying to find ways to keep him exposed to scouting. The longer a boy spends away from regular scouting meetings/activities, the less likely he will ever get back into it.

Check the den/pack calendar to make sure you don't miss scouting opportunities that fall on non-tutor days, e.g., weekends. Maybe even offer the den leader your services in putting together a couple of weekend den outings over the next few months to benefit all the boys in the den, and especially your son by keeping him connected with them.

Check your council calendar, there may be some council/district events (e.g., Spring Camporee)that you both can attend.

In all likelihood, the tutor will cancel at times. Use those opportunities to make the den/pack meeting.

Continue to work on advancement with him, as study time allows. It will provide a nice break from the drudgery of more school work.

Visiting another pack may be uncomfortable, but another Webelos I or II den in your pack could work well, especially if he knows one or more of the boys in the den and the den leader is supportive.

Good luck.

My sons took a break from scouting and cubscouting for about 2 1/2 months during the summer because they both were in the swim team that happened to hold swim meets on the evenings that the troop and den met. During that time, both of the boys still attended the various troop and pack functions (summer camp, day camp, etc) so that they won't be "out of it."

I have one boy in my den that could not attend any of the Pack's meeting due to a conflict with his CE (Christian Education) class. I told the parents that it's okay, because part of scouting is being reverent; however, I asked his parents to take him to the Den meetings and other Pack's activities so that he won't lose touch with scouting. This has been the case for this one boy for the last 3 years! We are now 1st year Webelos and he still loves cub scouting!

So my advice is to stay in touch with his den leader and get him to okay that your son can complete the Webelos requirements that the den completes on his own (and on his own time). Your son still has to show the den leaders his accomplishments to get them signed off by the den leaders. Remember, cub scout motto is "Do Your Best!"

Education is first before extracurricular activities such as scouting.

Good luck

1Hour

(This message has been edited by OneHour)

Good stuff, and helpful.

Do you think it's okay if he attends meetings with scouts who are friends if they are in another pack? He has buddies in three or four other packs so he'd know one, two or three other boys if he attended another den/pack for a few weeks. Plus, one of the packs is at the church where one of his friends pastors. All dens in our pack meet on the same night and at the same time.

He's actually ahead of where he should be at this time in terms of advancement. He even has several beltloops and pins. He'll be working on the religious award in the coming weeks, too.

I would think you would have to discuss this with his current Den Leader & then the Den Leader of the Den he will be "visiting".

If your Den Leader ok's having the other Den Leaders sign off in your son's handbook for any things he finishes, then IMO, there should not be a problem. Just remember to keep in touch with your Pack & Den so you do not miss any activites.

One thought, if your son is going to miss the Pack meeting where he would be presented his Webelos rank badge with the rest of his Den, maybe you could talk to his tutor & see about switching for just that one night. Most tutors are pretty good about things like that.