Anyone have new B&G craft ideas?

I thought the national Cub Scout monthly theme was Celebrating the 75th birthday of Cub Scouts. That's our theme in any case. I didn't want to just make regular birthday decorations. That's too boring. I considered having my boys make some kind of a display on an item that was invented in the 1930's. But, that doesn't sound too fun for the boys. ... help!

why not have them make things that represent the different years of scouting. different milestones of cubscouting. something like showing the different uniforms, patches, etc. have them make cenerpieces that stand up with pictures on it that show scouting through the years,

One Idea:

small diam. rope, blue paint, gold paint, hot glue gun.

Cut three small pieces of rope, color one blue and one gold leave the other plain. tie a square knot using the blue and gold pieces, glue together, glue third piece to the back in a loop and you have a neckerchief slide/woggle. Quick, simple, and useful.

Kristi

I'm still fairly new at Scouting. This is our second year as Den Leaders but I didn't grow up aroiund scouts. What kind of milestones has there been with Scouting? Is there a link that talks about the changes of scouting over the past 75 years?

Never Mind. I just found my own answer when I looked under "NetCompas catagories". I found milestones in the history link. I guess I should have looked at the links before I asked the last question.

I'm still open for other idess. In the meantime I'm going to check out the historical milestones.

Thanks for the idea.

For centerpieces, why not have those plastic animals line up in the center of the tables ... bobcats (cats/leopards are close), wolves, bears, lions (old webelos), and some webelos patch cutouts. How about center pieces that have the whole Disney's Jungle B1ook characters (Baloo, Mowgle, Bagheera, etc.) that are painted, drawn, or colored by the boys? Blue and gold (yellow) table spread with blue and gold napkins, plates, cups and platicwares.

1Hour

The Jungle Book characters sounds fun. I think I'll see it the parents want to meet on V-day. If so then we could paper mache the characters. I found that using liquid startch is easier and faster than any other product. We could paint them the following meeting if we can meet.

I'll think of a back up plan using the Jungle Book characters in case they don't want to meet. Thanks for the idea!

I did centerpieces for our B&G two days ago. I cut styrofoam ball in half and hot glued flat side to a bath tile (38 cents at Lowes). I cut 4x4 inch squares from blue and bright yellow tissue paper. The center of each piece was stuck to the styrofoam with straight pins. Cover the half ball this way (took about 20 pieces per centerpiece). For half of the centerpieces I attached three blue and yellow cub scout logo ballons (from scout shop). For the other half of the centerpieces I used gold chenille stems (available at most craft stores) to shape a 7 and 5. I stuck these into the middle of the styrofoam. I alternated the balloon and 75 centerpieces among the tables. Total cost was around 85 cents per centerpiece. With instructions the cubs can handle alot of the preparation. Good luck!

We just did our centerpieces. Here is what we did.

I printed the 75th logo and the logo with the mascots with the cake twice for each boy. I had them glue those back to back to make a flag. each flag was taped to an 18" X 1/4 dowel rod. Then I had each of them decorate the bottom of a Chinet brand paper bowl (very sturdy brand). I then hot glued the bowl to a paper plate. then we poked 2 holes in the top of the bowl (actually I did this to all the bowls beforehand). Then the flags were stuck into the holes and crossed in the middle. they were tied together with a short piece of blue or gold ribbon. They came out great!

Sylvar

Hello! I went thru with the Jungle Book Idea. My husband & I made the paper-mache anmials last night so we wouldn't have to meet on V-day. (Only because we were short on time.)

To speed up the process we used as many cardboard & plastic items to make the bodies of the anmials. We used a sprite bottle with a ricotta tub for the wolf. A long Sierra mist bottle for the lion (laying down) & a cardboard Ovaltine container for a bear. Also, we used toliet paper tubes for limbs, (cut & rolled to the necessary width). The liquid starch works great and they dried over night.

Tonight at our den meeting, I had the boys team up & paint the anmials in groups of 3. After they were painted, we made jungle leaf place mats. I had the boys fold a green sheet in half long ways, and round of the two outer corners. Then they cut little V's in the outer edges. (Some boys accidentally cut the folded edge.) They cut 2 leaves and glued them overlapping. That created one placemat. I had the boys make a placemat for each guest attending the banquet. Now we'll not only have our Wolf, Bear & Lion anmials, but the jungle leaves on the tables too. Once I have a guest list for our den, I'll make little bananna shaped place name tags to ensure the guest will have a placemat his cub scout made.

Thanks for the great idea! I love it!