recognizing a outstanding parent

We have a parent in our pack who has helped out greatly with the den her son is in and would like to know of a way to give her recongition at the B&G. But would like to hear how others have in the past. She is not a Dl or even an ADL she is just a parent who wants more out of scouting for her son like me.

This is a great thing to do and B&G is a great place to do it!

How you do it depends on how well you know the person. Some people really dont want a plaque or something like that. They would be happier with a special award that was hand crafted and had some humor behind it.

On the other hand, if this person is with the outgoing Webelos, and has been very active since Tigers or Wolves, the pack really does have an obligation to recognize this person with something more formal. There are always plaques and certificates. They are available thru your Scout Shop or the Supply System catalog. Also local vendors will have these things.

A nicer memento would be a photo album with pictures of the activities that this person had a hand in making happen. Add to it some comments and thank you notes from the boys and other parents..and you have really nice gift for this person.

Please note that gifts like this one keeps on giving long after the person is gone. For the boys, when they become men, these are the types of things that our memories are excited by.

Dont take the easy way out.

I've recognized parents for helping with certificates or gifts (scout shop has tons of things - paperweights, coffee mugs, plaques, etc.).

Personalized gifts from the scouts are always nice. When I left as CM, the pack gave me a really nice mantle clock. It's beautiful and I'm proud to display it. But I still love looking at the framed homemade thank you's that came from each of the dens.

She sounds like a good candidate for ACM or a Committee Member. Get her registered and then she can be nominated for your district's recognition awards.

Our district and council has a formal award called the "Unit Award of Appreciation." Each unit has the opportunity to select one individual from their unit - registered Scouter or not - to receive this award. Sadly, barely half nominate someone.

I always thought that this award was "national" but I may be wrong.

I had a great parent (actually, she was this boy's great grandma!) who was like a second assistant. She always found a way to contribute and in particular she would help us tag-team a boy who needed a bit of a boost.

I found a neat Wrasslin' Belt (think WWF championship) at the toy store for a couple of bucks and recognized her as a "Tag Team Champion" who was always ready to jump in the ring and take care of business.

I gave her the belt and had her hold it high overhead while the pack cheered her, just like a true champion. Of course her sweet great-grandmother status made it all the better :-)

Our CM designed an award called the "Helping Hand" Award. We present these at every pack meeting (which we call pack gathering b/c pack meeting sounds to business like) and it consists of a certificate and a wooden hand painted yellow on a piece of rope that thay can wear around their neck. We give one out every month for each den.