trying to find a good cubscout pack

Hi to you.

Man, what is going on in Pittsburgh? You are the third mom in the past two weeks from that area who has joined this forum with pack problems. Don't tell me, you have an infant and you have just been asked to be a cubmaster too, like the other two ladies.

Call your local BSA council office, ask for your District Executive and get a list of packs to visit in your area from him.

no I do not have an infant and dont know who these other moms are and dont like being talked to in this way. And no I wasnt asked to be a cm was just looking for a pack thats good. I dont know about these other ladies but its hard to find a decent pack where i am. To many parents having their kids doing to many things and no time for the scouts. I did nothing wrong here but ask for help maybe i should find another site for help if this is the way people are treated here. and i guess thats for the info. but no thanks for the way you treat people.

Welcome cubiemom,

I don't think Semper meant you any harm. I believe he was just shocked by yet another unhappy mom within the same vicinity.

I am sorry about your troubles. And yes call your council to get a list of all the packs in your area. Maybe you can find the right one.

Carol

Cubiemom,

I am very sorry. Believe me, I meant no disrespect to you.

Only a feeble attempt on my part to point out a very strange coincidence of a rash of disheartened cub moms from Pittsburgh at the same time.

Please forgive me if I caused any upset.

Here is the website for the Greater Pittsburgh Council, you may be able to find a name and phone number who can put you in touch with a quality pack.

http://www.gpc-bsa.org/

Best of luck on your search.

It could be that we are from around the same area and dont know it. All I know is that all of the packs we either belonged to or looked at dont meet evry often, and dont do very much with them. It seems the closer proximity your are to a snobby area (hope you all know what i mean) the less they do with the boys. I can only remember when we lived out of state with my older boy his troop did so much they went camping atleast4x a year, had a cool outing every month were always doing something interesting instead of sitting there as the DL talks about the achievement and do nothing hands on. I also know that our council has told us very recently when we call that we can find alot of answers online.

I wouldnt mind being a DL so that atleast I could make sure the boys had fun and got all the achievemnets and electives and beltloops and awards that I can make sure that they can get. I love being involved but at this pack they make me feel like intruding on them when I say that I'll do something so that my son isnt the only one earning beltloops or awards. I just want to find a pack that would appriciate my help instead of dreading my involvement. ty all for the help

• 2 weeks later...

Good luck cubiemom.

I got involved because last year (Wolf) was the first year for Cubs for my son and me. We had a total of 3 or 4 Den Meeting/outings and since I had no clue, we accepted it. Fortunately for him, we worked together to get his rank badge and arrow points. By the time we did Scouting for Food, my badgering of the CM about things led to his signing me up as a Committee Member. (paper title, no function at all). Next thing I know, I am the new Den Leader for Bears. It turns out that the CM was in the process of turning around a sinking ship and he could only do so much at once. We are making progress, and while I know I could find another Pack with an already established, well-run program, I guess I see it as God asking me to help the other boys as well as my son. We went from 5 boys last year (3 truly active) to 9 boys this year (7 active). One of our inactive boys is the son of the former Den Leader. His older brother (Web II) finished early and the younger boy lost interest (idolized his brother).

I know your situation is likely different, but sometimes we are called to be agents of change. Maybe you could rally the 'good' parents from both of those Packs and form one good Pack?

Torveaux,

Excellent Post!

Sometimes change comes one small step at a time, which takes heart and vision. Heart to stand the frustration and pain of slow transition and vision to see beyond your own (son's?) needs.

Wisconsin is lucky to have you!

Y.I.S.

Anarchist

• 6 months later...

Hello,

I'm new to this forum as well as to scouting. I too am looking for a good pack to join. My son is 7 and entering 2nd grade. I am in Estell Manor , New Jersey. I have heard there is a good pack in Tuckahoe(which is only 5 miles from me. I've also heard I should check into Mayslanding packs. Anybody know anything about these packs? Thanks