asked to be cm and scared of what it involves

I was recently asked if I would like to be the new cm since the old one is moving on with her son. I am new to this leader position and dont know what it really involves. They gave me two different books to read but that really doesnt tell me what is REALLY involved. They like the way I rally our den, since both our den leaders are airheads and cant plan anything or the stuff they do is so boring. Everyone keeps telling me I'd be great but I'm scared as to I have 7month old at home. Someone help me please.

There must be something about brand new moms being a target for CM recruitment. Two weeks ago, there was a new mom with a six-week old at home that had posed the exact same question on this forum.

Have you been to pack meetings and committee meetings to see what the old cubmaster appears to do? Do you think you would like that? Realize that there are a whole lot of behind the scenes stuff the CM does - recruiting efforts (adults and scouts), planning, handling adult conflicts, supporting den leaders, arranging trips, calendar planning, etc. When I was a CM, I probably spent at least 10 hours a week doing CM stuff at first. Over a couple of years, I was able to knock it down to 5-6, once I gained some efficiencies through experience. During certain times of the year (PWD and B&G), it can be especially time consuming.

If you think you can handle that kind of time commitment with a baby in the house, then seriously consider it because it is incredibly rewarding and fun.

In helping you decide, here are some thoughts for you (my apologies to Jeff Foxworthy):

If you like getting up in front of a crowd and sharing your enthusiasm...you might be a cubmaster.

If you like spending a half dozen weekends a year running crazy activities with 50 of your favorite 8 year old friends...you might be a cubmaster.

If you are highly organized...you might be a cubmaster.

If you don't mind dealing with conflicts among committed adults who each think they are absolutely right...you might be a cubmaster.

If you have compassion for the young and a fire to see them succeed...you might be a cubmaster.

If you commit to getting trained by your local BSA district so that you can run a model cub scout program...you might be a cubmaster.

If you are creative and consider yourself somewhat of a performer...you might be a cubmaster.

If you are willing to delegate tasks so that you don't get burned out...you might be a cubmaster.

If you believe that Scouting is one of the best things a boy can do...you might be a cubmaster.

If your pack has a good committee chair that takes care of all the administrative stuff for you through others (money, advancements, fundraising, etc)...you might be a cubmaster.

If you have a 7 month old baby at home and a spouse that will support you in this endeavor by providing child care on pack nights, committee meeting nights, recruiting nights, training days, weekend activities and trips, etc. etc. etc...you might be a cubmaster.

Good luck in your decision.(This message has been edited by SemperParatus)(This message has been edited by SemperParatus)

i know the mom you are talking about she is a good friend she told me about this site. we live pretty close together and both think that each of our packs suck. no fun all disorganized. we both are very organized people and both are single parents. council said i am able to bring daughter to meeting if need be. better a parent bring a child to a meeting than to have no leader at all.

Is a cubmaster really supposed to do all that, SemperParatus? Ours doesn't--he was chosen mainly because he's great with the boys and likes public speaking. He basically just mcs the pack meetings (when he's there).

We have a very active leader in our pack who's a single mom with a baby, and she fills in for the cub master when he's not at pack meetings, as well as being pack secretary and taking on a lot of the work. So I think it's very possible for you to be able to do it. Just don't try to take on more than you can handle. The committee should be able to spell out for you what they want you to do, and you should tell them if you think it's too much.

The job of the cubmaster is to have fun with the boys at the Pack meeting. He/she is the entertainer/mc/figure head of the Pack. You have to have a strong committee to support you or it will be a long road. The CM runs the pack meeting, organizes it, recognizes the boy, and closes it. Outside of that, he/she makes sure that the Den leaders are informed and involved with the Pack activities. He/she delegates the task of leading the activities to his/her fellow adult leaders. The final task that the CM does is to recruit, adults and boys. With strong help ... it's a piece of cake and fun!

Did not regret my time as a CM. It took 1 hour per week ... per boy! ;)

1Hour(This message has been edited by OneHour)

Onehour, I agree. A strong committee and good den leaders make it much less time-consuming. I recommend training as soon as possible. When you do that, you will have an opportunity to get answers to most of your questions. It is important to be as clear as possible about your responsibilities. Once you have identified those, the rest is merely organization and work. And fun! I really miss the cubs.

New CB Mom.

I was you at one time. I spent a total of 4 years as a Cub Master and loved every minuite of it. When I first started I had a 7 month old baby and thought no way can I do this. Not to mention the fact that I was horrible at public speaking. My first pack meeting I tripped over the Microphone stand, forgot half of the ceremony and just made a complete fool of myself or so I thought. The parents thought I did a great job. From that night on I was hooked. I bought silly hats and shirts and neckerchief slides. Anything to make myself more comfortable in front of the crowd. On nights when my husband was home late from work, I held my 7 month old while handing out awards ( no one minded) My son is now a Webelos and loving every minuite of scouting.

Through my scouting experience I have learned to do so many things I never would have done if I didn't have to do it to help "my Boys". I shot a rifle, improved my Archery Skills, learned to ski and rock climb. I have held snakes and a small hawk. It has been such a great experience.

Parents always tell me that they love the fact that I truly care about all of the boys. It's not hard to do they are all my favorite. They have all taught me so much.

So get trained, stick on your silly hat and have fun. Good luck to you