Help! I've inherited the dying pack

I posted in the new to forum that I am a new den leader and wife of the new cubmaster. Another lady the old cubmasters sister-in-law was very involved this year and we had such plans....

We are pack 5. The oldest scouting group in our council. East Texas Area Council. A boy scout troop is only one week behind us but hey we are still the oldest. 68 years old in april. The 6th oldest group in Texas and the 100 oldest in the U.S. Now I realize scouting is for the boys but I don't want to see this pack vanish. The pack was split in 1988 by our now CC. The other pack is alive and well, the CC is feeling a little guilty much like eamon is. Not either ones fault.

Anyway our pack has dwindled to 8 registered boys. yes you read right not the den the PACK.

One boy dropped out his dad in a major wreck and is paralyzed waist down. Mom is strecthed to thin. Very understandable. Another boy dropped out don't know why. NOW I learn yesterday that my ohter leader the ex cubmasters wife (his job transferred him overseas) and the sister-in-law are not going to be coming anymore. IT'S BASEBALL SEASON AFTERALL!!!!!! I just had to scream excuse me. I mean last month we had this big planning session bounced ideas around, we have the support of the CC and the DE to help our pack grow and now the have to do baseball. It's not like it doesn't come around every year and it's some big surprise....Why didn't they say something then.

We now have 2 boys that come everyweek. One boy who goes if he is playing at my house when its time for scouts. Another whole story there...won't get into that..He needs scouting but you can't make his mom understand the importance...too busy making ends meet. She registered him then pulled out then I got him to going again looks like he has pulled out again....

2 BOYS COUNT THEM 2. We had a blast at out last meeting tho. Another pack is nice to us and we join in on some of there stuff like the pinewood derby. Both of our guys came in 3rd in their rank. Saturday is the district derby and we are both going.

The DE is planning a recruiting event at the schools the end of FEB for us and the other pack. They are webeloos heavy. But who would want to join us. they have dens for each rank and we have 2 cub. 2.

Sorry I have vented so long. Any ideas on how to promote our pack. We have lots of things planned and the other mom is committed we talked last night before the meeting. We are going to start working on some of the beltloops and pins. She is an art teacher. Jumping for joy here. We plan on having lots of fun but still.....What to do.

lynn

Lynn, if you PM me your e-mail, I'll send you a presentation I did at a pow wow regarding turning around a struggling pack.

Unfortunately, you've got a much more severe problem than I had. We had dwindled from around 100 to 24 (with probably around 15 active). In four years, we were back over 60 with a rich and exciting program. The pack continues to do well.

I would take a very focused approach. Try to build from the ground up. Focus on getting Tigers and Wolves. Get these young ones in and use them as a foundation to build on.

Leverage your history. People love to hear about units with tradition. Let people see the vision you have for returning this unit to its proper status.

Good luck.

What kind of institution is your CO???

What sources do you have for recuits...schools local churches etc.? That may be where you have to begin. How about the current eight boys have them make a list of their firends who are not in scouting...have an invite night, treats snacks, scouting presentation, show and tell stations (with typical crafts, activities pine wood cars etc and a typical craft activities for them all to try...can't hurt, takes lots of work...

god bless and good luck

Over the years, I have heard many stories just like yours from individuals in Packs, Troops, and from people in District jobs. This sounds harsh but it is not your job to save a 68 year old Pack or any unit. Lifeguard is not a Leadership position or an assigned duty in Scouting.

If there is a group that wants to work together and if there is a CO that would like to help support it, and if there are parents that want to be part of a committee and lead dens, then you may have a job but don't take two jobs, just one job. Work with a group that will take the other jobs. Don't work alone. It is not fun and you will just run back here to complain bitterly of how you are doing all by yourself.

The world will still be a nice place to live tomorrow without a unit that nobody cares to be a part of, even if you think otherwise and I am sure you do. I don't expect that you will take this advice because your mind is probably made up about going it alone. After you do it and it gets frustrating, just remember that Scouting is a volunteer job that is meant to be a shared past-time. Later, you can still find plenty of units that could use your assistance and be fun.

I hope the very best for you.

FB

Lets see our CO is the rotary club. they just sign our recharter form no active part really. Our CC and the DE are committed to rebuilding the pack so do not really feel alone.

The most frustrating part to me is when my sons friend comes. He has ADD/ADHD and is on no medication which might be a good thing don't want to go there here but....He is such a discipline problem and destraction.

The DE is holding school recruiting the end of Feb so hopefully will pick up a few more kids. I am mainly wanting tigers thru bears. Don't think we could do weebelos at this point.

I guess I was just wondering if there were any ideas out there to help. When we do the school night I will be there and was wondering how to present ourselves so that people would want to join up with our growing pack as opposed the one that is "established"

I was thinking of a poster of what we are doing and planning on doing. Any other ideas.

My son cannot really recruit his school friends as we homeschool....He is trying to get his church friends but am fighting the ideas of 1. "my friend told me not to enroll my son in the middle of the year.

2. another homeschool family wants to enroll their kids so they can have friends. They are also bear and weebelo age so probably better for them to join other pack (I gave them the phone #)

thanks for replying and the great support

lynn

You say you are a new den leader and your husband is a new cubmaster...of a pack with 2 boys. Just out of curiosity, but why did you join a pack that appeared to be essentially dead? Perhaps in your own reasons you will find that which will attract more adults and their sons.

Lynn, I was in charge of our fall school recruitment night this past year. We had two "brag" tables. I made two displays using those trifold poster boards (that kids typically use for science projects). One display was educational in nature...had pictures of the different ranks, the Cub Scout motto, Cub Scout promise, etc. On that table I also had the handbooks for each rank, the mini Boy's Life mags, etc. The other display was pictures of all the boys having FUN...day camp (bbguns and archery), our crossover campout, and the raingutter regatta. We had a few boys bring in their past regatta boats and PWD cars. The prospective scouts LOVED this table.

When your DE does the your Feb recruiting, make sure he also recruits some more volunteers for your pack!

good advice all thank you.

We signed our son up last year cause the cubleader went to our church,the meetings are at the church and he invited us. We joined in March so missed alot but we caught up. When we joined there were 12 boys. Two crossed over to boy scouts and 2 just dropped out. Leaving us this year with 8. I was very frustrated yesterday when I found out that 3 of the other kids that always come and their moms/den leaders will not be coming back until after baseball season. One of them was all gungho her husband had been in this pack as a cub...and then oh by the way won't be back till may or june.

I want our son to be in it for the long haul. I've been thinking about the posts. Your right its not my job or responsibility to see that the pack survives. But none the less I want it to.

Another reason I guess is I like the new cubmaster....lol....I trust him. I enjoy planning the meetings and really really like that we meet at the church. They are all very supportive. We have a big crop of young boys coming up. Preschool and kindegarten age. then for whatever reason we have mostly girls in elementary. So the future looks promising if we can hold on.

We just received a call from the CC with the name of a boy who wants to join. Talked with the dean of the private Christian School at church tonight and he was glad to have us come in and recruit. So things are looking up.

I like the poster idea thanks. Had not thought of taking the cars (and trophies).

thanks

lynn(This message has been edited by lynncc)

lynncc,

In eight years of cub scouting, I have found that boys most enjoy outdoor activities. Plan on going to every single one you possibly can, especially summer, even if it means having fewer den meetings. After all, at the Wolf and Bear level, the purpose of den meetings isn't doing the requirements, it's having fun. Your council's website lists several coming up this spring. Check it out at: http://www.etexscouts.com/activities.html Oh, and keep the den meetings going through the summer, to avoid dropoff when fall (and sports) start up with the new school year.

You mention in your most recent post that the dean of the school at church is interested. I strongly urge you to work with your DE and sell him on becoming a co-charter organization for your pack. The pack will have the recruiting base it needs to succeed (and be able to keep its number and history), the Rotarty won't feel guilty for not living up to their obligations as the CO, and the school will have added a fantastic extracurricular activity to their programming, one that can be specifically tailored to tie in with the school curriculum.