(1) Ladies shirts tucked in ??? (2) How do Women Leaders Salute??

(1) I recently noticed that some of our registered lady leaders tuck their shirts in and some do not. It was brought up at a meeting, but the cub master said he is un aware of any rules.... - besides I think it looks tacky are there any guidelines for this, I can not seem to locate any.

(2) I also noticed at out last Pack meeting during the flag ceremony that all the cub scouts and Male leaders (with or without hats) saluted during the pledge of allegience, but the women leaders had their hand over their hearts.... Are there different guidelines for this?

Thanks

I would think that the tucking question would be up to the unit. I know that some women do not like to tuck in shirts, ever. As long as everyone is neat, maybe it doesn't matter.

However, everyone in uniform should salute, regardless of gender. Those not in uniform place their right palm over their heart.

To answer question #1, i would have to ask what shirt they are wearing. The yellow womens shirt may be worn inside or out (notice it's sewn straight across the bottom). The mens tan shirts (with a mens shirt cut on the bottom), in my opinion should ALWAYS be tucked in. Now that's not to say that a women cannot wear the tan shirt, in fact, all the women in my pack wore the tan shirt. JMO

Sparkie

Sparkie is correct about the different shirt tails. But there is also a woman's tan shirt that has square tails and it may also be wore in or out.

Our pack policy is if you have a square tailed shirt it may be wore in or out. If you have a long tailed shirt it must be wore in at all times.

It should be the same for Troops and Crews.(This message has been edited by Advancement_Lady)

From my understanding, for the pledge, is if you are in uniform you salute. If you are not wearing the hat, the fingers go to right above the right eyebrow, if you are wearing the hat they go to the brim of the cap. No uniform....the hand goes over the heart. I did in the begining find it awkward to do a salute, mostly with what to do with my left arm and hand. I am getting more comfortable with it the more I do it however, and i just keep my left arm straight down and try and square up my shoulders.

As for the uniforms, I wear the tan shirt...personally I don't think many people look good with yellow shirts (its a very difficult color to wear) and I personally look horrible with yellow on. The question of "tucking" was never a question for me as mine has the man tailored bottom to it, so I always tuck it.

I never could bring myself to buy a yellow shirt, so I always had the tan one, and I tucked it in. As far as saluting, in the tan shirt, I had my fingers above my brow. In a Scouting tee-shirt, I had my hand over my heart, and in regular every-day clothing, hand over the heart as well.

• 2 weeks later...

Baden-Powell would often be asked to do an inspection of a patrol of Troop. Part of the inspection was to have a shirt tucked in and a belt worn. I don't recall which resource I found this in.

Yellow see through shirts with the flat bottom would probably do well out. Shirts with tails are designed to be tucked in.

Uniform with cap, salute with fingers at brim. No cap, salute with fingers to eyebrow. No uniform, hand over heart.

I am only repeating and agreeing with what others already said on this forum.

Knotty Fox

I work with Both Boy Scouts and Cub Scouts. I have a yellow shirt for when I work with the Cubs and a Tan for when I work with the Boy Scouts.

My problem is that when I purchased my Tan shirt the store only had a mens large. I needed one right away so I said O.K. I will make do with that. The tails on this shirt are so long. When I try to tuck it in i have say too much shirt to tuck. My solution for the moment is to tuch the tails up inside my shirt. Unless someone takes a really good look at me they can't tell that I a tucked up and not in.

Why do i have 2 shirts? I like to wear my Cub Scout leader rank for Cub Scout functions and my Boy Scout leader rank for Boy Scout functions. I know I could just change the epulets(?) but I prefer to change the whole uniform.

The best place to resolve the uniform question is the Uniform Inspection Sheet for Women Leaders. I believe it specifies shirts/blouses should be tucked in. (I'm pretty sure of this although I don't have my copy right here and even if it doesn't say, I think the pictures show tucked in shirts.) Copies of all Uniform Inspection sheets are available for download (in pdf format) at www.scoutstuff.org.

SandyD is correct.

I have my Leader Book right here. page 34-56 shows the Female Leader Inspection sheet.

There is no written direction on male/female scout or leader sheets about tucking in specifically. However, ALL drawings showed tucked in shirts, regardless of which female shirt is shown. I think that the ideo of not tucking in the shirt did not even occur to those who wrote the rules.

I'm confused on this myself! The Den Leader (who's also the Cubmaster) of my son's Webelos den told me that I could get the tan leader blouse in January 2004 & the Assistant Webelos Den Leader patch, etc. When I wore it, outside of my regular pants because I haven't tucked in a blouse in a long time, & we were doing the Pledge of Allegiance, he told me to put my hand over my heart. I don't wear the uniform pants because they would look horrible on my due to the fact that I'm overweight & a have medical problem that makes me "look like I'm a few months pregnant". Any female that I've seen wearing the tan blouse & the olive uniform pants always have their blouse tucked in. I never really noticed how they saluted the flag. Now the other female den leaders in our pack just wear the tan blouse & they put their hand over their heart while reciting the pledge. So what the females are really supposed to do, with or without uniform pants I have no clue! Maybe someone has a ruling on this!

Gopher Judy

I have asked at council office and no one wants to make a ruling. I have the Tan shirt with squared off tails.. BUT being an army brat I know how to wear a uniform.... I wish the other leaders did too...

I think we finally have them all saluting now...... hard to correct volunteers.. and our CC and CM dont want to do it..

• 1 month later...

The "shirt tail" issue just hit me from the blind side. I have always thought that they should aleays be tucked in (for men or women). I just got my better half convinced to get uniformed as a Den Leader. She went to the scout shop and came home with a tan womens' blouses that has a squared off seam around the bottom. When she asked me if she could get away with the shirt "out" I responded "no-way". She pointed out to me that the bottom of the shirt is cut (unlike the Mens/boys) straight, just like many of her other blouses that are designed to be worn "un-tucked". After looking closely, I was forced to agree. With the straight bottom, "the shirt is also more difficult to keep tucked in" (she pointed out). An earlier poster claimed a "sloppy" appearance for un-tucked shirts. Not in this case! You will never catch me running around un-tucked, but I think it to be OK for women with the flat-cut blouses.

Even the US Army has different "Class-A" uniform design for women. They have not just told them the wear a "mans" shirt and deal with it.

If the BSA created a womens' blouse that was cut in such a way so that they would be more likely to wear it, That's Great!

Well, unless someone in our pack freaks out, she will be going "un-tucked" from now on.

Has anyone seen a BSA illustration with an "un-tucked" womens blouse?

Anyone found any actual requirement for women to tuck ?

CE

We have addressed this to Council and they do not know.. There is NOTHING written anywhere. We were told it is ASSUMED that by the drawings that ALL uniforms will be tucked in. They looked into writings policy etc and FOUND NOTHING. But refered to the photos of Uniform inspections for women that show them all tucked in.

For the record the womans Blouse is not"cut" to be fitting with darts and such (like alot of womens blouses).. I have plenty of room to tuck my shirt in and even pull it up a bit. I do not think most women wear their shirts tucked in the way men do.

The Council finally said.. Sounds like it needs to be clarified by National.

(PS a couple of the ladies in our Pack wear the mens tailed shirt UNTUCKED)- They refuse to tuck in -