cub scout advancement

I am Advancement chairman for the pack.

1. Is there a way to type onto the advancement form from the computer, like an online form?

2. What is the best way to receive advancement from the den level; we are using email but is there a form out there somewhere that can be emailed?

3. Why can't you buy scout stuff from an online source? I live about 45 miles from the nearest scout store.

We use ScoutTrack. (http://www.scouttrack.com) This is one of many programs to track advancements available. We like it because it is reasonably priced ($35/yr) and since it is internet based so each leader or parent can keep track of their boys advancements. Everyone family in the pack has access to their boys info. The Advancement Chair can then print out the advancement forms direct form the website. It also has a 30 day free trial.

The only web based source of Scout Uniforms know of is http://www.basicsclothing.com. I have also been told you can phone order from http://www.scoutstuff.org/

Most council shops accept fax orders and phone orders...if you are "wired" should be no problem faxing orders...

If you are in charge of the awards (in our pack) advancement keeps records but I purchase and 'keep' the awards I have a great kit I carry to all pack meetings.

I have a traveling scout shop! I decided 12 years ago to set up my kit to avoid a problem I kept seeing.

At each Pack meeting they would call 'Little Johnnie or Sam' up for his award and the CubM. would shake his hand and the advancement lady would say 'lost in the mail', out of stock' or sorry... back ordered and I didn't think it was right! There were also lots of; "My son just finished last night can he get_____"

I donated to the pack a large double sided fishing tackle box by Plano. It is perfect for the little canisters photo film comes in. On each canister we taped paper copies of the award in question; wolf, bear, webelos, each webelos activity pin, compass points, rank pins, year pins, even safty pins and uniform buttons. There is also a 'bin' area for keeping larger patches some award ribbons and other stuff...It did cost a bit (investment?)to set up, but it could be 'done' over time it keep the expense managable. We do not keep a large stock just a few of each award.

In nearly 11 years NO BOY IN OUR PACK has had to wait for his award due to an adult screw up! And it is great! just an idea...

good luck

Anarchist, it looks like you have a great system going! Our old CM had a similar system but on a much smaller scale. They were the clear bait/craft boxes with the dividers. I "inherited" the system when I became in charge of advancements. Although we had a few arrow points, rank patches, etc... most of the items were belt loops and service stars.

How are you able to keep extra rank, activity badges, etc. on hand? Our council is incredibly strict on how we purchase these (cannot buy unless they are given the advancement report)?

Our systems works pretty good.

I love Packmaster Software!!!

On Monday before the Committee Meeting packmaster files must be sent to the advancement chair, she uploads them to the system and prints the advancement records for the store.

On Wednesday at the Committee meeting each Den gives the Advancement shopper their order form (which includes awards that are listed on the advancement paperwork), then by friday she goes to the Store with HER compiled list. Then she seperates the dens stuff and calls the leaders to come and retrieve them..

The leaders then sort out the awards and the Leaders award advancements, Belt loops, pins and segments at the Next Thursday Pack meeting.

On occasion things get backordered, but not to often..

I am the Adv. Chair, and our council requires the form #4403 to be fillout, Packmaster qutomatically prints it so there is not worry there.(This message has been edited by Rixkidz)