uniform help

i am looking for help with finding affordable uniforms. have looked in the thrift stores, no packs around here have a uniform closet. i am a single mom who can barely make ends meet. i dont have $100 to shell out for pants, shirts, socks, hat, neckerchief, slide, book and everything else. i thought scouting was supposed to bo for everyone. in two monthes we have a uniform inspection and i feel bad that my son doesnt have any of the uniform to wear. who priced this stuff anyway. i dont want my son missing out on things because of me. i have asked other parents if they have an older uniform but no one has one. and they all know my situation but none are willing or able to help. WHAT CAN I DO????

Sorry for you situation. I dont really know where to get them cheaper. Do you belong to other bds maybe others might have a uniform for you maybe you could put out some posts. In our troop the pants, socks and hat are optional. We received the scarf when we joind the pack. We just wear jeans or navy pants. They grow to quickly and they are expencive. Just do the best you can.

HTS's

Oh I know the feeling! I have a large family. Now I have a Girl that is a brownie and a son that is a Tiger Cub. Plus 3 girls and 1 boy that will be doing scouts in several years. Lots of hand me down will be happening. :-)

I can offer you some advice

1. EBAY!!!!

2. I am not sure where you live but in NJ on Yahoo Groups they have Free exchange group.

This is a place where people post stuff they want to get rid of for free and people also ask for stuff, you could ask if someone has a old scout uniform.

Remember think BIG Size cause your son will grow and if he is a tiger he has a good couple of years in that uniform.

3. Your local council may know of a Pack that has a uniform exchange.

I hope this helps! :-)

YIS,

Chris

I would recommend calling your District Executive at your local scout office. He/she will be able to help one way or another. There are surely some other packs in your council with uniform closets. Also, your local scout troops are filled with young men who don't wear their old blue uniforms anymore!

If you can't find an 'experienced' uniform, there is absolutely nothing wrong with buying the uniform in stages. The shirt first and then fill in as time and money allows. This is what most people do. As for the uniform inspection, you might want to explain to your son the financial concern beforehand. But more importantly, you should consider talking to the Inspector (Cubmaster, Den Leader, etc.) to make sure they know about the financial constraints you have so that they can take the appropriate steps to make your son feel comfortable and accepted, rather than left out. The uniform (or lack thereof) should not be an obstacle to his enjoyment of all that scouting has to offer.

Not sure how you want to approach this in your situation.

I am Cubmaster and I have a family that has a total of 6 kids (thru marriage) 3 of the boys are in the pack, these parents with both working barely have enough to pay the bills much less by uniforms for thier boys. I talked to my District Executive about some help with this family, either National or Council has a program to help families that just simply cannot afford to by the uniforms. The council donated a shirt, hat and council patch to each of the boys, we as a pack furnished them with the pack number and neckerchief.

Because some people are very proud I oked this with the parents before following thru with it. They were very thankful and the boys just love to show off thier uniform.

If you do not feel comfortable talking with your Cubmaster give the DE a call, I am sure he/she can lend some assistance.

YIS

Andy

new-cub-mom,

you've gotten some good leads here, many councils and districts heck even troops and packs have helping hand programs for 'funding problems'.

I am fresh out of uniforms but this will work. Make contact with the Scout Master of BOY SCOUT TROOP your Cub Pack 'feeds' into...your Cub Master should be able to hook you up fast. SIMPLY ASK the SM to put the word out to his Boy Scout Parents that a Cub uniform is needed and I'll bet you get two! Many parents put them away and forget about them...but I found several for another pack JUST BY ASKING...

To answer your retorical question about the expense of scouting... n-c-m, scouting is not free...very little that is worthwhile is free.

This is a good place to start with your son, he can help. Set up a scouting jar...explain that part of scouting is working for what he wants not just 'getting it' and when he has some birthday money or finds a dime or a quarter on the street, it, or part of it, should go into the jar...My wife (a school teacher) had a cub scout at her school start collecting aluminium cans at school. They let him place a large trash can in the lunch room and the teachers lounge and once a week he would collect the bags of cans and take them to the recycling center...with his moms help for transport he made about $7.00 a week selling cans. My dad, and by no means were we well off, used to play a 'game' with me on saving for things when we would go to Macdonalds for a burger. I always wanted a cheese burger...it cost 5 cents more than a plain burger. He would offer to put the nickle in my jar if I could accept the burger...instead of the cheeseburger...was I willing to take part of the 'burden' so to speak?...do without something to get something else I wanted? (in this case a new bike)...It did work with me at least...

But, just don't let it get you down, ask around, Boy Scouting parents are generally the best you will find...but do make contact with Boys Scouts not other cubs...they rarely have old uniforms or two uniforms, they buy them big and wear them long....you might say that the Boys Scouts is the mother lode for old uniforms....Contact the district to put the word out at round table...it can work...just by asking.

good scouting!

NCM,

Don't know if this would work for you. My pack is located in a small town and I got the CO to help by announcing the need for a few uniforms at thier meeting. Not only did they help but local businesses also split the items up and bought 2 complete uniforms, a piece at a time.

Fred

Have you talked to your pack committee? When we heard of a boy who wanted to sign up, but money was an issue, we took it under our responsibility to make sure the boy got his shirt, slide and neckercheif and slide and start up patches. The pack although doesn't have a uniform bank per say, the pack has had a few shirts turned in, and there are always neckercheifs and slides that are lost. We as a pack already have someone make up the brag vests and none of the boys pay for that or the patch on that. That is one way the pack welcomes the boys into the pack. We make a big deal of handing out the vests on the boys 2nd pack meeting attending. Other parents in the boy's den are willing to pitch in for his outings etc. Fortunately for our pack we live in a pretty affluent area and quite a lot of the parents are able to handle the costs of another child for the sporting outings we are going to. I don't even know the last time there was a boy who couldn't afford scouting in our pack up until this year, and then shortly after the new year (2005), we had a boy who has been displaced from his home for a fire, and once again the pack came together to make sure his scouting expenses don't exist for the rest of the year, and then also have pitched in by giving things to the family that they need. It was a good learning experience for our pack with both boys about charity, not gossiping, but keeping to what others needed to know and what they don't. One more thought...maybe your charter could help???

Cb-mom even though your Pack doesn't have a uniform closet you should still talk to your Cubmaster. Your Pack might be able to help.

Our Pack doesn't have a uniform closet, but we do have money from our Charter Org set aside for cases just like yours. The folks just have to let us know! Also, the Catholic school where we meet has a used uniform box where we can get navy pants.

I would not worry about the hat, belt, socks, or slide. Hats don't get worn and/or get lost. The belt you can get later if he earns any Academic/Sport belt loops. The socks are really very nice & comfy, but let's face it regular socks are more practical at this age. Slides can be homemade from just about anything. My Boy Scout son likes wearing a small socket with a rubber band under it to keep it in place. If you have a glue gun & some pipe cleaners or wire you are good to go!

Don't feel intimidated by a uniform inspection. It's purpose is not to show up or embarrass any scout. It's purpose is to help the boys get an idea of how the uniform should be correctly worn. I bet you will see any number of partial uniforms and even some no uniforms. Some kids are lucky they remember their heads when they go out the door much less all their uniform parts!