Pinewood Derby Count as Go See It #3?

In my Pack, the Tiger Cubs are not going to be participants in the Pinewood Derby this year, instead, the Tigers are going to participate in the Rocket Derby (Space Derby?) at the April Pack meeting. The entire Den will be attending to watch the Pinewood Derby races. Would it be too much of a stretch to count the derby as "an amateur sporting event" to fulfill Achievement 3G? Many folks around here consider stock car racing a "professional sporting event," so shouldn't the derby qualify as an "amateur" event? Thanks for the input.

Is the Derby during a pack meeting or a separate event, say on a Saturday? If it's during a Pack Meeting, I'd be inclined to say no. If it's a separate event, I could at least entertain the idea of it counting, since it's something out of the norm.

Better idea, go to a high school, junior high or even grade school basketball game. Boys or girls. Most play a couple times a week and admission is cheap (or even free for students).

NO It should not count.

Are any of the boys in sports? Basketball is on right now, are any of them in a park district team? I have boys in soccer, baseball, basketball, etc. Right now I have 2 of them on the same basketball team and they have games on Sat mornings, which is when we usually meet. Instead of having them miss a meeting we went to see their game, cheered their team on, and after their Partner goes over the rules of the game with them, they will have all earned Ach #3-G!

BTW - Why are your Tigers not allowed to race in the PWD? And then to make them sit and watch all the other boys have fun - sounds rather mean. Our PWD is this Friday and my Tigers are R-O-A-R-N' to go! One of the dads said his son used a coping saw for the first time without a hitch! (or should I say stitch? LOL!)

(This message has been edited by ScoutNut)

All:

Thanks for the advice--to not count it was the way I was leaning, I just wanted some more opinions. Some of our parents wanted a Go See It to a monster truck rally, and to count that as a sport. When I advised against it, the reason was that there was no actual competition. In the PWD, there is actually competition, so that's what raised the question. What we plan to do for #3 is go to a basketball game where some of the Tigers are team members.

There are a couple of reasons the Tigers aren't racing in the PWD. At their age, the Pack committee felt they'd not have much chance of winning -- the boys (not parents) actually are expected to do all the work, and "awards for all" aren't given. Also, we suspected the Tigers would get somewhat lost in the shuffle. _ONLY_ the Tigers are going to be participating in the Space Derby, so at that Pack meeting they'll be the stars of the show, and the competition between them will be much more fair. Finally, the Tigers are going to be judges at the PWD and present their own awards for the top three coolest cars, so they will be part of the overall proceedings.