more involvement

how do i get the dens to do more for the boys. most only meet 2x a month and only do the pack outing. am trying to have the boys do more and see more. have fun. but the parents always say they have too much to do now they dont have time to do more. my son is in this pack and it makes me upset that no one wants to have fun and do more except me and the kids. would like to go camping, fishing, hiking, bike riding, swimming all the fun thing any one have some major help.

THANK YOU

Do you do one pack activity per month, in addition to the pack meeting? If so, that could be part of the issue. In most packs I've been associated with, the pack only has a few "activities" per year, and one pack meeting per month.

I encourage den leaders to raise the bar as the boys get older. Two times a month may be fine for Wolves. Bears, pick it up to two times plus an outing. Webelos, raise it to three times per month plus an occasional outing. This helps get them prepared for Boy Scouts, where they'll meet every week, year-round, and have one or more activities each month.

if it wasnt for the pack outings most of the dens wouldnt have outings at all. no one wants to try in our pack, i give them plenty of ideas as to what they could do. but no one wants to take the time and set up outings. they are lucky if they interest the boys with the achievemnents. its like its a chore for them to be here.

Newbie -

Try finding one adult who can act as "Activities" coordinator. In addition to Pack activities have them try to set up Den outings, as well -- based on the theme of the month or on the Achievements that each rank is trying to meet. I'd suggest it be someone other than you, because of all the obvious effort you're throwing in that direction already - get another like-minded leader into the process.

Along that path, with all due respect, your post is sounding a bit frustrated. Since, I've already been there done that (rather more painfully than I care to remember), I can supportively suggest that it's better if your frustrations aren't as clear to your DLs. Sometimes, when we're neck deep in our own gung-ho, its difficult to remember that all our DLs are volunteers who are actively trying to do their best. Your quickest path to what you view as success may be finding a way to help them get there - as opposed to stressing about their lack of movement in that direction.

In our Pack, Den activities are theme or Achievement based. The fun-outdoorsy stuff you're talking about are usually summer and/or Pack level events.

For my Wolf Den, we meet 2 - 3 times a month in Den meetings. An outing would replace our third meeting of the month. So far, our outings have been trips to the police station, the park, the school (gym and flagpole), plus two service projects, and we're soon to be going to a recycling center and Home Depot workshop activity.

Our Pack activities have been a carnival Midway, an overnighter, Rocket Derby, Cake Decorating contest, Pinewood Derby, Popcorn Sales, bulb-planting town beautification project and of course the BnG is around the corner.

Our boys have also had the opportunity to attend District events: roller skating, pro hockey, pro basketball, college football, Planeterium overnighter, Disney on Ice, and the Circus.

Plus of course, there's the Achievements, Belt Loops, times capsules, collections, flag ceremonies, skits, songs and everything else.

My point isn't that we do SOOOO much -- it's that I think if you look carefully -- you may see much of the same going on for your boys. If not, well, then it's a list of ideas to look forward to trying out.

I understand trying to do more of the outside stuff. I think we all want more of that. Along that path, my Wolves are throwing a graduation party as we turn into Bears. Planning it as Wolves will help us meet several electives and then doing it as Bears meets several Bear Achievements -- Also, we're inviting the Tiger/Wolves and helping them meet some of their new Bobcat/Wolf Achievements. The best part is it will mostly just feel like a great day at the park!!!

Another way to get the boys outdoors is to use Belt Loops as Gathering activities. During August and Sept. we always Gathered with "Ultimate" (frisbee) or "Marble" belt loop activities (depending upon the weather). We got outside as much as possible, learned new skills and traditional games and had a blast as we Gathered to start our Den meetings.

Good Luck!!

My apologies if this has sounded more lecturous than it's intended. webposts are so hard to write/read with the intended purpose and tone. My intent, of course, is to be helpful and share my own experiences.

YIS,

jd

(This message has been edited by johndaigler)

Our dens meet weekly, Our pack monthly, and we hold one hike at the fist of the school year, two to three family campouts, rocket launch, pinewood, rain gutter regatta a twenty mile bike ride (almost all down hill) and a bon fire as a Pack. I hate to say it... the secret to more 'activities' is the DL not the Cub Master...If your DL's are not going to do it it will be tough.

If you can get them to look at the program and find ways to do thing outside great. You may want to look at the rank program and ask for a few specifics...visit certain things/sites, do field trips etc...if you/your committee do not set a goal, no one will make the grade. Most of our DLs hand down their material as they 'move up' but some of the DL's are just taking up space...but unless you have a replacement DL you are up a creek...

Get your committee and DL's together and try to pump them up for a more active program...if you have or can make one, a great DL sometimes causes the others to get embarrassed and start improving.

Your WEBELOS DLs should all have WELOT training and be strongly encouraged to get the boys outside for any activity pin that makes an outing possible.

Rising Bears and Webelos 'I' should go to summer camp if at all possible and most of the pack should be encouraged to do day camp if your council/district has them....

its never easy but it can be rewarding

good luck