Wolf Badge Question

Hmmm ... I can see if 7 out of the 8 boys finished and the last boy has 1 or 2 requirement to get through, then waiting a month to present the badges so that all the boys could feel as a team. That's where the instant recognition beads come in. The cubmaster should recognize these boys and tells the Pack of the situation by saying something along the line that "these boys have earned their rank; however, they elected to wait for their friend ... ." Now if your son is an inspired scout and finishes his requirement as he is capable of, then he should be awarded the rank before the others. Your son should wear his wolf badge with pride. This will (always) inspire the others in his den to finish.

"Do Your Best" means that each boy works at his own pace and the best of his ability. It does not mean that a boy should be penalize when he did his best!

I can't remember exactly where it is written (not at work anyway). It is being taught at every leader training that I have been to and I pass that ideology on to others as I hold my classes. Every chance, recognize the boy(s) for his (their) accomplishment! That's how one keeps the boys motivated to stay in scouting. Here is an example of "written" format of the ideal (from Pacific Skyline Council):

http://www.pacsky.org/advancements/cub-advancements.html

"Here are some tips on the mechanics of advancement and some frequently asked questions. We find boys are highly motivated by the Recognition Program provided through Cub Scouts. Each Cub Scout should be helped by his parents and leaders to earn the rank for his age. The adult's standard for completion of any requirement should be based on the Cub Scout motto "Do Your Best". That's the Scout's best, not the adult's best! Please remember that no unit or individual has the authority to add to or subtract from advancement requirements. Badges should be awarded promptly when earned, in a public recognition ceremony and preferably in front of the entire Pack. A boy can continue to work toward a rank over the summer if it wasn't earned during the school year. If he hasn't advanced by the time the next school year starts, he must begin working on the next age level's rank."

1Hour(This message has been edited by OneHour)

mjengels,

This has to be craziest thing I have ever heard of in three decades of scouting. Did I understand what you said - A boy earns his rank and is presented the badge at the pack meeting. But he is not allowed to wear it until everyone else in his den has earned there's. WHO decided that?

I don't care if it was the CM, DL, or Baden-Powell himself...sew the badge on his uniform and let him be proud to show it off. If someone says something to him, have them give me a call. I would be more than happy to discuss this matter with them.

According to the Cub Scout Leader handbook, Boys- Chapter 18 Advancement, pg. 18-3

The Cubmaster has these responsibilities related to advancement...

3. Ensure that boys who have earned awards receive them at the NEXT pack meeting. DON'T let boys get discouraged by having to wait for recognition.

And also in the same handbook, Boys-Chapter 20 The Wolf and Bear Programs, pg. 20-6

The Wolf Badge is presented to his parent or guardian at the next pack meeting in an impressive advancement ceremony, during which the parent or guardian in turn presents the badge to the boy.

I think this is pretty clear cut regarding when the advancement should be given to the boy, at the NEXT pack meeting!

Hope this helps,

Carol

Yes, there is documentation.

The Wolf book, page 6, says a bead will be presented for each 3 achievements towards the Wolf badge by the den leader to show progress toward rank. After he gets his fourth bead, he will be ready to receive his Wolf badge at a pack meeting.

It does not say it will be presented a special ceremony or when the entire den has earned it.

Cub Scout Leader Handbook section 18 Advancement 18-3 "advance one rank per year"(except for earning Bobcat in order to earn the other ranks). "A cub scout's advancement progress depends on his own motivation..." "an 'overachiever' will progress rapidly..."

18-4 from Advancement checklist "do boys receive prompt recognition?"

Section 20 Wolf and Bear Programs 20-6 "When a boy has completed the 12 achievements to the satisfaction of his parent or guardian, the den leader indicates this on the cub scout and Webelos Scout Den advancement report and gives it to the pack committee so awards can be purchased. The Wolf badge is presented to his parent or guardian at the next pack meeting... parent or guardian in turn presents the badge to the boy."

Training sessions as in Leader Training, Powwow, and University of Scouting all mention recognizing their progress in a timely manner.

Can see having an award held back due to it is on back order(has happened a few times since certains awards tend to be earned about the same time like the Sports and Accademics, never enough football and soccer awards in the Fall or baseball in the Spring in stock at council for all the packs. In case if there are other awards presented, we recognized their work and say they will have it presented at the next pack meeting as soon as it comes in.

If they know that they have earned something, they want to receive it soon.

So if earned, present it promptly and wear it proudly for all the hard work and new skills learned.

By the way, one kid in my den, who appears not to be quite normal, is the closest to earning his Wolf badge. My son is the next closest with 6 achievements done and 4 started, but has 29 electives done, and 8 belt loops.

There are other awards that can be earned: World Conservation badge, Leave No Trace, 3 different 75th Anniversery Awards( can only be worked on from September 2004 thru December 2005, and religous awards.

So there is plenty for any overachievers to do if they have the desire.

I have been a wolf, bear and am currently a Webelos Den Ldr.

Ask wise old Mr. Cubmaster to politely show you chapter and verse where it says the young lad cannot wear his badge. This is a merit based organization. Robert Stephenson Smyth Baden Powell did not want scouts to see class distinction. We are not talking about wealth----we are speaking of work. BP would have promoted the lad.

I've never read anything about pushing mediocre preformance to the masses. The feel good decade is over.

A boy that stretches should be rewarded. If any boy is greased lightning just make sure he actually learning the skills and not just getting his ticket punched.

I have 4 of 10 Webelos awarded the webelos badge suddenly my slower boys are interested in memorizing the law and promise etc.

One boy actually groaned out loud when his name was not called. It should have not been a surprise. He thinks the scout oath starts out "I Rumplestilskin promise...

Competition is natural. The secular crowd believes in evolution until competition comes into play. All the cavemen who did not compete died with their genes still in them.

Why backslide? This is assuming all boys in the discussion are able to accomplish the activities.

An amazing thing happens when Johnny puts down his gameboy and looks in that great book full of guided activities between his folks, the den ldr, his peers and the rest of "the village"

Press on. Full speed ahead and steady as she goes.Your course needs no direction change. Your Cubmaster needs to talk to someone aboutwhat the correct thing to do is. Start with the District Exec.

Mjengels,

Have you helped that boy sew his wolf badge on yet? I sure hope so! And I expect him to have done with a few arrow points buy the next Pack Meeting...stay on the advancement person to be sure the pack has or orders what your boy earns in time...so he can get 'em and sew 'em on...

Then see what you can do to help some of the other boys get a few beads...maybe 'donate' a Saturday afternoon to the den to help them 'up'. Sometimes we need to remember its not the kids fault that they chose the wrong parets, don't cha know!

keep smilin'...it makes them wonder what you're up too!

anarchist

PS don't make me drive all the way up to CT. just to sew on a patch!

Don't let this parent (or CM?) give you a pile of poop over this. BSA policy clearly states that if a youth completes the requirements for the rank and earns the badge, he deserves to have it awarded to him - ON THE SPOT if he completes it at a meeting (assuming a patch has been previously acquired) or at the very next meeting. And, if he has been awarded the patch, he has every right to wear it on his uniform the very next day - as soon as he or his parents can get it sewn on.

Nobody - not even the CM - has the right to deprive a youth member of wearing the rank he's earned. Don't ever let anyone tell you otherwise.

In this day and age where so many kids suffer from short attention spans, immediate recognition is the key to keeping the kids motivated. A leader who is interested in having motivated kids in his unit will keep a supply of rank patches on hand, along with a blank advancement form, and will present the boy with his rank as soon as he has earned it, saving the badge presentation card and parent pin for the pack ceremony.

The sooner the boy gets to wear what he's earned, the happier he will be about continuing in the program, and the slower boys will have better incentive to work harder to catch up. It doesn't make a whit of difference about whether his peers are motivated or not, or have earned a gosh darned thing or not. If a lad does the work, he deserves the credit and the priviledge of wearing the patch. His peers will either motivate themselves when they see the award, or not (as they choose), but that's not anyone's business but theirs.

If it's the CM telling you this outrageous tale, maybe the committee should consider replacing him/her with someone more knowledgeable and more giving in their attitude toward the youth members. This person sounds pretty stingy to me. Perhaps this particular parent is to blame for the lack of morale and incentive you see among the other kids.

I agree with the comments already stated...as a leader!

NOW as a Mother...I would be outraged by someone telling me that one of my sons cannot wear their badge, any badge, that they have earned! Why would anyone want to hold a child back? This question has haunted me for a long time.

Believe me, you aren't the first person to ask WHY? Some Troop leaders in my council even want to put EXTRA requirements on earning your Eagle Award (and my oldest son was to be the troop example)...SO I marched right into the Council Service Center and asked to speak to the Scout Executive (but that was me on the Eagle award)..

I guess it always comes back to..ARE THESE LEADERS TRAINED? Do they know what their job descriptions are? DO they even have a clue? And WHY OH WHY would anyone want to hold a scout back from earning, or even wearing what they have worked hard to earn?

Thank you everyone I did sew his badge on and he is very PROUD.

I think the reason for this leader who acted CM said not to wear it was becasue she was jeolous. She has a den of 8 kids and wanted to earn their badge all toghter and she will give it to them in May. Thats great! They EARNED it all together our den was told to work on everything on your own with your parents. She wants to be FIRST in everything this is not a race. It is to teach the kids. She wants to be the LEAD DEN. I just don't get it. She is obsesed in being on TOP and will say and do anything to keep it that way. She does do alot with her kids and our den does not. But I have a son that wants to work on the acheivments and is proud to be a scout and I'm a mother that works with him when he needs help. She just gets them belts loops to get them she does not follow all the rules she bends them alot so her den gets the most. She is very pushey!!

Thank you everyone for being there for me/us. XOXO

These posts took me back several years to when my now-Life Scout was in third grade, working on his Bear badge. Always indolent by nature, he was not working on his achievements at home (despite my encouragement and offers of help), and his cohorts in the den were. It was the den leader's hope to give all of the boys their Bear badge at the B&G, but he wasn't going to force it down their throats.

Well, the big night came, and Matt had NOT completed all of his requirements. Seven little boys were called up to the stage and received their Bear badges, while one little boy sat with mom and dad and watched. Did he feel bad? You bet he did. Did he get off his duff and start working on achievements the next day? Absolutely! And at the March pack meeting, he got his Bear badge.

I am very glad that the den leader did not "hold back" those seven boys in order to have the entire den receive their badges at the same time. In the same way, your son should not be held back because his den mates are not as diligent as he is.

Elizabeth