Troop Staff Positions (youth)

At our troop committee meeting on Monday, I announced that we had elected patrol leaders and the SPL was taking applications for troop staff positions (QM, Scribe, Historian, Librarian), which after next week, which he will appoint in consultation with me (the SM). One of the other adults said that those positions are elected and very much insisted on the point (he is never wrong). Could someone please back me up on this (or correct me if need be).

Chippewa29,

The evidence you seek is in the Scoutmasters Handbook. You are correct in that the SPL selects the other Troop officers, with guidance from the SM, but it needs to be the SPL's decision. There are a few exceptions, Den Chief, Junior Assistant Scoutmaster and Instructors, because they do not change based on troop election rotations.

The same is true in patrol Elections. The Patrol Leader selects his assistant and all other positions in the patrol.

Bob White(This message has been edited by Bob White)

• 3 weeks later...

Chippewa29

Bob White is correct in that the SPL selects these members and the scoutmaster provides guideance. In my past experience we had a really large troop with a number of boys who were older. The troop had about sixty scouts and about half were first class. The SPL proposed a change to allow the troop to vote on the positions, Scribe, Buglar, Historian etc., those who wanted to run. Since more than one wanted the job. The SPL also took the process a futher by creating a seperate patrol "Staff Patrol" this was an honor patrol made up of the elected scouts into the various positions. These scouts actually seperated out of their own patrol and became the "Staff Patrol" as special patrol who's requirments were very strick. Attendance, Sprit, Uniform,Training the other scouts, and special troop responsibilities. These scouts would represent the best of the troop. It became a real honor to be part of the "Staff Patrol". This was just another way to inhance the boy run troop and the boys loved it...they were limited to two re-elections in the "Staff Patrol" as for which ever position they were elected. Elections were every six months.