Whittling Chip

I'm still learning about cub scouts. I was a boy scout. Does a cub scout have to only read, know and understand the Whittling Chip guidelines on the card, or is there something else he has to do? I can't find any other requirements, a series of steps, any class-like info or anything. I want to be sure he's doing what he needs to do before getting it.

And, yes, I know it's in the handbook. But the book doesn't provide any info other than saying here are the guidelines.

Actually the new Whittling Chip card states that the Cub:

"has DEMONSTRATED knowledge of, and skill in, the use of a personal pocketknife."

So a Cub doesn't "have to only read, know and understand the Whittling Chip guidelines on the card". He has to DEMONSTRATE both knowledge & skill. That means the boy must physically show his knowledge & skill. He should also be using a pocket knife, not a plastic dinner knife. They are 2 very different instruments and there is no way a boy can demonstrate he knows how to close a plastic knife.

That is a very fine line which comes up a lot in the Boy Scout end of the program. Demonstrate vs read & tell.

Omega - Since your son is a Webelos he should demonstrate to his Den Leader, not one of his parents. At the Webelos level parents can no longer sign off on requirements as they did for the last 3 years.

(This message has been edited by ScoutNut)

JohnD/ScoutNut,

Good responses.

Both are helpful.

I'll followup.

As for the after, I've seen packs here that only let their cubs carry the knives on official scout outings, only when they carry their card and only w/adult supervision do they use them.

How's that compare to what you do and/or have seen elsewhere?

When it comes to opening, closing and sharpening a knife you will have to use a pocket knife. But for their first time whittling something you dont want to give them a pocket knife and piece of wood right away. You give them a bar of soap and a plastic knife to practice with.(This message has been edited by Advancement_Lady)

Actually whittling something is not one of the requirements for the Whittling Chip. However, it is a fun activity to do, and you might want to try that with the boys first, especially if they did not do "Shavings & Chips" as a Bear.

To demonstrate skill they can use their pocketknife to cut rope for knot tying, celery for snacks, the tip of sticks for cooking, etc. As a matter of fact, a Webelos campout would be the perfect place for Omega's son to demonstrate his skill to his Leader.

Wow!

Thank you.

Where would we be now without the electronic community?

I've got great stuff to followup on -- without leaving town!

This is great.

Count me in as a regular on scouter.com!!!

I'll be exploring more ways to move from forum to forum and site to site.

As my Webelos son might say, "Sweeeeettt!!!"

Our bears started with showing knowledge and demonstrating safty requirements then with lots of space between ...onto opening and closing and oiling and then sharpening in about February... Just before the Webelos 2 cross over. (all of this had to be done outside of the normal meetings because we normally met on school property and knives are a no no...

the sharpening is important 'cause some of the crappy knives couldn't cut butter and a dull knife is much more dangerous than a shape knife so the DL gets to see what they are working with.

then we did some 'one on one' using BOY SCOUT mentors (the troop Den Chiefs and some of their buds) s l o w l y doing things to a couple of bars (per boy) of IVORY soap (best for carving).

even after earning the card they could only bring their knife if the activity called for it (like practicing cooking and Food Preparation) and NEVER to regular meetings.

time enough for cut fingers when they are boy scouts!

• 1 month later...

When is a scout eligible to use a pocket knife at BSA meetings (age &/or rank?).

Recently, I was told it can be any scout at any age - apparently this person has found that any scout can use a knife, earn his whittling chip card & repell at any age at BSA sponsored events.... I am curious to see this new guideline in black & white - does anyone know where I can find this information or has there been a misunderstanding?

A Cub or Webelos Scout has to earn the Whittling Chip before they can use a pocket knife at a BSA activity. All levels of Cub Scouts (Tiger, Wolf, Bear) are eligible.

Boy Scouts have to earn the Totin' Chip before they can use any woods tools (including a pocketknife).

Rappelling is recomended only for Boy Scout age scouts. Boy Scout age is also recomended to do belaying & rock climbing. To do caving, lead climbing & snow/ice climbing it is recomended they be an older Boy Scout, a Varsity Scout or a Venturer.

All levels of Cub Scouts can do bouldering & commercial or hoizontal wall climbing. It is recomended that a boy be Webelos age to do vertical wall or tower climbing.

You will find this information (with the exception of the names of the cards) in Age-Appropriate Guidelines for Scouting Activites:

http://www.scouting.org/pubs/gss/ageguides.pdf