LOOKING FOR AWARDS AND PATCHES FOR BOYS TO EARN

LOOKING FOR HELP IN FINDING PATCHES AND AWARDS FOR THE BOYS TO EARN BESIDES THE ONES LISTED IN THE WOLF HAND BOOK. I AM TRYING TO DO LOTS OF THINGS WITH THE BOYS. MORE THAN JUST THE ACHIEVEMENTS AND ELECTIVES AND BELTLOOPS. I AM IN THE PITTSBURGH AREA. WANT TO BE THE WOLF DEN LEADER NEXT YEAR AND AM LOOKING FOR FUN AND EXCITING THINGS TO DO WITH THE BOYS THAT THEY CAN RECIEVE RECOGNITION FOR AND TO BE ABLE TO DISPLAY WHAT THEY HAVE DONE

THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR ANY SUGGESTIONS

Welcome to the forum.

There are a lot of scouting awards/patches other than the handbook - inquire about your council/district's Cub Scout Day Camp and other cub scout-based activities and events (usually a patch is involved). Check with local areas of interest (Carnegie Science Center, Pittsburgh Zoo, Point State Park, etc.), many times they have a scout award/recognition opportunity. Some historical trails have patch programs - here is one I found in your area:

Pittsburgh Hiking Trail. Laid out and sponsored by Troop 224 of the Greater Pittsburgh Council, the trail features the history, architecture, art, industry, and culture of one of America's most interesting cities. Hikers travel through such varied areas as the Strip, the Old Allegheny district, Point State Park, downtown, Station Square, and Mount Washington. They also get a chance to ride a railway and the city's subway system and to earn a patch. For a booklet including maps and a list of camping sites in the Pittsburgh area, send $3 plus 7 percent sales tax to Pittsburgh Hiking Trail, P.O. Box 97881, Pittsburgh, PA 15227.

Patches are nice, but above all...have fun!

Lots of activities have patches - whether it's scout night at a local sports team, or a museum, cave, air show, etc. Almost all of them sell generic patches. And, if they don't, you can always buy a generic patch from the scout shop.

AND YOU DON'T HAVE TO YELL. :)

When I first became a leader, I ran this list by the DE to see if our council participated in these awards (I'd read on-line that some councils take part in different awards than others). He confirmed that we could work on any of the following with our Cubs:

Physical Fitness Award

Emergency Preparedness Award

Crime Prevention Award

Donor Awareness Patch

International Activity Badge

Interpreter's Strips

Leave No Trace Awareness

Lifesaving and Meritorious Awards

Recruiter Strip

Religious Emblems

Whittling Chip Card

World Conservation Award

Valley Forge Historic Trail

Good Turn For America

I'd suggest you ask your council as well. Those items listed above are BSA awards. As others have pointed out, there are sporting events and other activities specific to each area that would also have patch opportunities.

Have fun, and welcome!

And don't forget about your state badge. My guys are working on the Texas Badge. I'm sure every state must have one. A while back someone said something about Michigan having one so I assume (taking a risk there) that the other states have one as well.

Carol

http://www.boyscouttrail.com/awards.asp lists different awards for cub scouts and their requirements.

Don't forget the 75th anniversary awards.

And, http://www.scoutstuff.org has lots of generic patchs you can use for many different den events from Backyard Camping to Winter Fun. You need to go to the main page, Enter, click "Awards, Jewelry, and Fine Gifts", click "Standard Emblems" to see the patches.

Paul

Sorry for the silly question but I'm so new I dont know how things work yet.

How do I find it we can a state badge?

The site posted www.usscout.org does not work for list of extra patches any other suggestions.

Thanks for your patience with me!!!!

I also am in PA, but to my knowledge, we do not have a state badge to earn.

As for extra awards, a word of caution. It can become overwhelming. It can also be fun. The key, at least in my opinion, is to begin with a goal. For instance, what do the boys seem to really enjoy doing? Now, what award might expand thier opportunities to do more of that and learn more along the way? I worked with one den that wanted more opportunities to work on flag ceremonies, another that would play any sport at all so long as it was a sport (they had to keep moving--all of them all the time!), and another that really enjoyed conservation activities and hikes. Knowing what the dens liked, it helped to plan for awards that would coincide with their likes as well as whatever else is being done in the den.

How could I forget 75th anniversary?! That is fun! However, the leaders seem to enjoy this more than the boys, and not all leaders seem to care for much for it. Same for GTFA.

THE CLASSES NEED TO BE CUBMASTER DO YOU KNOW IF THEY WILL LET ME BRING MY 6MONTH OLD TOO. I AM A SINGLE PARENT WITH NOONE TO WATCH HER WHILE I DO CLASSES. BUT I REALLY WANT TO BE CUBMASTER AND HOPE THEY WOULD BE UNDERSTANDING