Webelos Crossover

Me again! I need a ceremony for crossing over 2 boys inside a church. I would like a "show stopper". Since this will be my first act as Cubmaster I am hoping to really start off with a bang. Please send me suggestions or web sites.

Kristi

You may want to talk this over with the troop they are crossing into. The best ceremonies are ones where there is a collaborative effort on the part of the pack and the troop.

Here's an indoor "show stopper" we did -

Lights out, fog machine on, spot light on opening into meeting room. Indian dude comes through the fog - from the tribe of Webelos - talks about following the trail of the wolf and bear and then webelos. But there is a fork ahead - one leads to a summit of greater adventure, the other does not. Who is join him on the trail to the summit. CM joins him and calls out names of the boys to crossover - Indian dude gives them some words of advice about the summit having a tribe of older boys doing cool stuff. Asks if they are willing to follow him on this trail. They agree. They give CM final cub scout salute, returned by CM. CM removes their webelos neckerchiefs, folds them and hands them back to boys. Indian dude leads them back through the fog. All the while a drum is beating, it keeps beating during the absence in the fog. After a minute or so, boy scouts lead the crossovers out of the fog and to the front where the SM and boy leaders are waiting (they sneak up to the front while people are looking the other way). Once up front, the SM welcomes them to the summit of boy scouting. Says a few words about how they are so happy to have them join them, etc. etc. Boy scouts then induct them with troop neckerchief, red loops, etc.

Sorry about being short on the words...it is more a visual thing - the words will come to you.

Best of luck!

Someone built a wooden bridge many years ago. It has the candle holders on it and we do a candle lighting deal as they cross over.

Someone suggested a change to it a few years ago. They saw where someone took the planks from the bridge and made them removable. On the twelve planks were written the twelve points of the Scout Law. One at a time, a scout displays the word and reads some text about it and then lays it in place. After the bridge has been built, the Webelos cross over to meet their SPL & SM.

I had a few, but probably my best show stopper was the Lighted Neckerchief Ceremony. It starts with the lights turn off except for a candle and possibly a spotlight highlighting the CM and Webelos. The CM tells the story about while hiking one day in New Mexico, he/she happens to meet a Native American Chief who gives the CM a jar of magic water. The chief tells that CM that truth is reveled when the water turns into flames. The CM shows the audience the jar of the magic water (50% acetone, 50% water). Then takes the Webelos neckerchief and soaks it in the water. The CM then attaches two corners of the neckerchief to the end of a stave or broomstick and holds it over the lighted candle. Flames leap about four feet in the air for a few seconds and then quickly die away leaving the neckerchief undamaged (from the water) thus proving the scout is worthy to continue on the trail of scouting. He then crosses the bridge to meet the SM and get a new neckerchief.

The trick is the acetone burns off quickly while the water protects the neckerchief. If you want to consider this ceremony, I will find my notes on the story and all the materials needed. I would suggest you first practice this in your back yard to get a feel for the flames because they can be startling the first time, which is what you want for the rest of the audience.

Practice how to get the neckerchief from the jar to the broomstick without igniting it by the candle. I laid a fireproof mat on the floor and had two adults standing by in the dark each holding a fire extinguisher. Its not really hazardous because the acetone evaporates quickly, but a scout is always prepared. I kept the scouts on the opposite side of me while holding the stave far out on the other side of me. I was at least 20 feet from the audience. I also use my own neckerchiefs so I didnt have to give the Webelos theirs back wet. I accumulated many as a CM.

Barry

If you are going to do the burning neckerchief, it is best to check with the CO first. Our pack CO would not allow fire in their building. We did that one outside once - better at night then in the day. I had a buddy CM who accidentally caught his headdress on fire with the flame though. As Eagledad says...practice makes perfect.

You might contact your local Order of the Arrow lodge and see if they have a team that can help with your cross-over if you want to go with the native American theme. OA provides our pack with a nicely done Arrow of Light ceremony each year.

Paul