I need help with the 75th anniversary award please.

At the Scout shop, it was pointed out to me that one person could potentially earn more than one award. I figured that if requirement #1 were earned for one award, it would be earned for the others as well. However, one of the den leaders said this can't be right, that for each award, each item would need to be redone. Can anyone clarify this for me please? As CM, I have deliberately held a pack meeting already that was a celebration of the 75th anniversary, for I know some will miss the Blue & Gold--happens every year. This way there were two opportunities.

Another question: for the pack award, if the pack collectively earns this, doesn't each member of the unit earn it? Or is each ind'l required to do it seperately? I think a unit award is just that--earned by the unit qualifying all in it. But I'd like clarification please.

FYI, I do not usually count any requirement twice, but this award is special and the wording seems to indicate--to me anyway--that it's easier to earn than the other leader thinks. TIA!

I think that you can use the same event for each of the awards. The only consideration for the pack would be the cost; at about $4 a patch it could break the bank. You might, depending on your funds, make a rule the pack buys the first and the parents pitch in for anymore.

I would agree. Often we try to get as much mileage out of each activity as we can. The books are pretty specific when the achievement requires that you do something for a second time. So following that logic, and assuming that national wants to sell as many of these patches as they can, I would allow activities to be used more than once.

The pack is not willing to pay for these awards, though I tried to have funds designated to cover one award per boy, leaving the rest of the cost to the family if they chose to buy other awards. So the cost isn't as big an issue as the earning it.

It's pretty ironic that I have this problem, as I'm told that I am "too by the book" when it comes to awards and such. However, I have noticed the cost, know there's just little more than a year to earn this particular set of awards, so it seems to me they are designed to bring recognition to the anniversary in some fun ways. I love the awards, think they're a lot of fun, but some leaders look at me like I've grown two heads for thinking such a thing :)

Ok, then, thanks for the help. I'll go by what the guy at the scout shop says combined with your posts--you happen to agree with him. Can you imagine FOUR 75th anniversary celebrations?!

• 3 weeks later...

Laurie, Our pack also is concerned about the patch and the cost, however, our boys did a little better than last year selling popcorn, so the pack is still going to pay for the pack patch. I am not going to be a stickler if EACH boy didn't complete all the requirements either...it was pack earned (I am trying to treat this like the Quality Unit Award...as long as the majority of the pack participates in each of the requirements the pack earned it.) The boys will receive the patch at our B & G banquet. As for all the requirements, it is not like there are forms to be filled out to prove to BSA that the pack has earned the requirements...I think they are just looking for the $ to pay for the patches they have already had made up personally. Best of Luck in your scouting year! jens3sons

Thanks jens3sons. I'm actually coming to end of my Cub Scouting career (can you call volunteering a career? ;)) in two months, but I'm looking forward to more involvement with our sons' troop. Enjoy your celebrations, and may they make for wonderful lasting memories for you and all the boys!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi! I need help with the award--my Wolf den has worked very hard to earn the Cub patches for this (complete with our own Jungle Book puppet show and theater), but now I hear they are on backorder, that National was surprised at the demand?

They were supposed to get them at Blue and Gold in 2 weeks--now we're not so sure. Anyone out there who's designed a certificate for the 75th patches so I can give them SOMETHING that night?? (I loved the one for the Webelos 20 pin award that was on the list recently.) Otherwise, is it "illegal" for me to design some sort of certificate on my PC that the boys can use until the patches ever come in?

Scouters are allowed to use any of the BSA copyrighted art in their publications or apparel used in their Scouting program. The only time you may run into a problem is with art produced by national, if it includes anything copyrighted by another group or person. There were some restrictions placed on the use of Garfield the cat when he was a spokescat for Cub Scouting.

So, go for it, you can design away on those certificates