Pack budget to den level

Try this link:

http://www.danbeard.org/finance/finance_unit.php

It will lead you to a capture of the BSA publication regarding unit budgets. That document is very accurate and I used to follow it myself when I was working closely with the committee as a Scoutmaster.

Or, call the Council Service Center and ask for a copy of the unit budget plan worksheet. You can also (in most councils) find it in your recharter packet. It's generally a yellow sheet that is largely ignored by units.

The form even predicts how much to build into the budget for advancements and awards for each boy. My experience is that it is almost eerily (to the dime) accurate.

Did you know that each boy should only pay for his registration and boy's life exactly one time? That would be the day he joins.

Check it out, please.

Unc.

A budget is the only way to go. It takes a little bit of planning at the beginning of the year, but then you're done. Seat-of-the-pants financing is a sure way to end up with $100 dues at the end of the year. Unc's link is perfect. No sarcasm, the unit budget plan works.

Fscouter:

I appreciate the compliment, but have to tell you that the name Unc and the word perfect very rarely collide in the same sentence! ;)

Hat's off to the movie Tin Cup for the theft of the punch line I just stole.

Unc.

I agree, a budget is the only way to go.

But the dreaded budget meeting doesnt have to be a nightmare with 6-12 or more volunteers sitting around a table till all hours of the night bickering over small amounts of money.

If your unit does the same things year in and year out, the budget should be easy! You dont need to retrace proven and existing budget plans. Pick only the new elements of your budget and discuss them separately. Then add them to your plan and vote on the whole plan.

Of course this doesnt mean that the existing and proven budget plans should only reside in someones head. It all needs to be on paper and in the open, but you dont need to spend endless hours retracing your path.

• 4 weeks later...

Our pack $$ does not go down to the dens. We use money to pay for partys and ALL advancements, badges, pins, segments etc.

The dens need to charge dues, if you dont have enough $$ in your den then you need to charge more or DO less. most of our dens charge 25.00-35.00 a year in den dues. One den lets parents know this week I need $____ much money to cover costs. We meet at the school so there are no charges involved, and LOWES will cut wood for FREE for the Cub Scouts. Sometimes you can ask parents if they have anything to donate...