Pack budget to den level

I am fairly new to scouting. I was a tiger parent last year. This year I am a Wolf den leader and am trying to learn as much as possible. Our committee is going through some restructuring for various reasons. I am interested in hearing how other packs handle finances.

Does the pack provide any financial help to the den? The boys did a popcorn fund raiser this year, but no money trickles down to the dens. I am open to doing more fund raising, especially if finances go to a den / scout level.

I would like to have an idea how other packs operate before going to our committee to request changes to current procedures. Any input on how your pack operates would be appreciated.

Thanks

As a rule Dens do not hold their own fund raising events. The pack Committee should plan these events, it needs to be approved by the Chartering Organization,the committee chair and the District or Council Finance Committee. Guidelines can be found on the back of the form

http://www.scouting.org/nav/enter.jsp?s=xx&c=ds&terms=money+earning+application&x=28&y=12

Many packs allow the Dens to collect Den Dues, the amount varies. This money used to be collected weekly and used for the day to day running of the Den, covering the cost of glue, paper and that sort of stuff.

The pack has a budget that covers the cost of rechartering, advancements, pack outings and pack events.

What do you need the money for?

Eamonn

We don't do den dues, rather collect dues annually which average about $50. We also do very well with popcorn sales. As part of our pack budget we allow $20 per for the den leaders to use as they see fit for den materials and activities.

I have 10 boys and each week the boys pay $1.00 dues. This is not enough to cover materials on most weeks. We rented a local gym for $15 over Thanksgiving, I only collected $10. This upcoming week we will be making TV's. I need 2 dowels rods (2 foot) for each boy. That costs $1.35 per boy (yes I am going to see if I can get Lowes to donate them, but...)

We have a den doodle, which uses a lot of beads etc... We also made bird houses where each boy paid an additional $5.00 to cover the cost of the house. I would have liked for their fundraising to cover expenses such as that.

Craft activities etc.. just cost more than $1.00 per child each week. Some kids are on very fixed incomes and I don't want to ask them for more money, especially if they could do fund raising to cover these expenses.

Dens should not fundraise.

If you spend more than $10 per week on supplies than you need to take a look at what you are doing and how you are spending your money.

For craft type activites, use recyled materials, what some uninformed types might call trash! Ask your families to see what they have around their house and their work that they might be able to donate to the den. Start a "Den Box" with all supplies collected.

Try to keep your activites free. Many forest preserves, nature centers, etc, will do programs for scouts for free. If you are going to do things like rent a gym, get the rest of the Pack involved then the cost per boy goes WAY down!

Don't buy wood. Ask your parents to bring scrap they have laying around. The boys can ask neighbors and relatives too!

Make den doodles out of downed tree branches. Use natural things to decorate and in place of purchased beads.

We managed to do lots of fun den activites on Den dues of $10 per boy, per year (approx $100). You have to be thrifty and use your resources wisely (both pack & community)!

The money raised by popcorn sales, in most Packs, stays at the Pack level. You would be suprised at how much awards & recognitions can cost for even a small Pack. You might ask at your next Committee meeting if there is any money in the budget that could go to the dens for supplies. You never know until you ask. But remember, that unless the Pack made a large profit on popcorn, the amount available to the dens might be very small. Also, unless it was budgeted for, any money that goes to the dens will have to come out of somewhere else!

Jman, WELCOME!!!

I'm also a Wolf DL. Our pack's only fundraiser presently is the popcorn sale. In Feb. or so we'll see the fruits of that labor. Our pack shares roughly a third with our Dens. The better your boys sell, the more $ comes back to the Den. This isn't perfect escpecially because there's never any money till February.

I charge my guys $1 a meeting ($30 for the year) for Den dues. That gave me a bit more startup cash and enabled us to get some supplies for activities.

We're developing a process that rewards individual boys for their efforts. The more PC they sell the more they earn for their "individual accounts" which can be used toward uniforms, equipment, day camp, etc.

Also, we're looking to expand beyond PC sales. It seems that fund raisers, in general, are: a pain to manage; aimed at the same people (parents) again and again; don't usually leave the supporter with a feeling of value for their money (beyond the good will donations give them); and require the same effort again and again annually or more often. So, we're investigating "Schoolpop" - a website for net shopping that kicks a little bit back to your org. everytime someone shops. We have more to learn before we dive in, but it just might be the way to go. . .

Good Luck,

jd

Our pack does not share money with the dens. It's been mentioned, but we felt it best for each den to pay its own way, based upon how active and creative it wanted to be. Our den charged $25 a year for dues, and then sometimes had costs associated to activities (if there was an admission fee, for example). We never ran short, and usually had a little left over at the end of the year for a pizza party.

Dens are not allowed to do independent fundraising. If you think it through, it makes sense. We certainly want some sort of equality within a Pack. There are dozens of ways to finance a Pack. Mostly it depends on how much you want to spend, and, if you believe in fundraisers. Some Packs refuse to do fundraisers and have the parents pay for everything. Other Packs, and I know one of these, only charge for registration and Boys Lifethen they fundraise for everything, This Pack is constantly fundraising. But it works f or them.

We do the following; new Scouts registering for the first time pay $10.00 + $10.80 (Registration & Boys Life) plus $9.00 per month (9 months only). Returning Scouts only pay the $9.00 per month. We collect the money in one lump sum.

The $9.00 per month is split, the Pack gets half, and the Den gets half. We supplement this with Popcorn. It works well for us, but as a Pack we do not pay for outings, camping or trips. Those are all left to the parents. The Pack pays registration and Boys Life for returning Scouts, entertainment at B&G, Pinewood Derby Cars, and of course awards.

I agree fundraising should be done at a pack level NOT den and only a portion of what is raised should go to the den. Thanks to everyone for responding. I am still hoping to hear more about how other dens and packs handle financing.

The Leader Book assumes a pack budget that is funded, in part, by the den dues. The den dues are transferred to the Pack & then the dens would request funds from the Pack Treasurer up to an amount that was agreed upon during the Pack Budgeting process.

The Leader Book makes no specific mention of collecting dues for den level crafts or activities - it seems to assume that these items are included in the Pack budget.

Hmm. I like the idea of budgeting for Pack activities, doing the fundraising and any amount above the fundraising target (or after a 'cushion' of a few hundred dollars is funded) could be available to the dens for crafts or other things.

I was a new wolf den leader last year. I paid for the den activities out of my own pocket, but our process is the den leaders can ask the Pack committee for funds to cover the cost. We do not charge den or pack dues, as we make enough money out of popcorn sales to cover pack costs. I felt it was my contribution to the Pack to pay for the den activities. And it was a fun experience.

It seems to all come back to the quality & imagination of the pack leaders.

Of course, as den leaders, it's up to us to either reign in our extravagant plans or share them with the committee and ask for financial help - either with ideas to make them happen with less money or with actual dollars.