Where has Cajun been?

Hi all. I guess some of you may have noticed that I haven't been around lately. I have, I just hadn't decided what I was going to do. It seems that I was not registered last year. I filled out the application and wrote a check for the registration but it was too much of an inconvenience for my CM to turn it in. My DE told me about this and I nearly lost my desire to continue to fight my way up hill in this pack.

So I took a couple of weeks to make a decision. I will continue. I talked with my CM (who still claims that I am registered even though council says I am not) and he is going to step down in Feb. My den is still on the upswing and we are doing our best to recruit some older boys. We had our awards last night at our court of honor and the CM was unprepared, missing a couple of awards and putting off some others. Fortunatley the only awards put off were a couple of extra earned by my son. (It is easier to explain it to him)

My question is this. Since I wasn't registered last year what, if anything, would I have lost or gained?

Kristi

You technically lost a year of service toward training awards and year pins. It surprises me you DE didnt get a heads up earlier, if you went through training they should be putting that into Scoutnet and that would show you as unregistered. The only other thing is for most unit accident policies you would be uncovered. There may have been some liability problems but nothing came up, so youre lucky.

If you can swing it get a member of the unit committee to be in charge of membership (and other advancement) it takes a load off the cubmaster.

Your first clue would have been that you didn't get a membership card and Scouting magazine like everyone else did. Being new, you probably didn't realize you were being cheated. Every year at recharter time, the unit gets a new charter, and a stack of computer printed membership cards for every registered youth and adult. If you are registered in multiple positions, you should get more than one card. You should get a new one every year.

Kristi,

All I can say is that your pack needs your leadership, don't let a bad CM get you down. Like NW said get someone who is detailed oriented in your committee to handle rechartering and will make sure every adult and youth is registered.

You are the spirit of scouting in that pack, so I hope you will continue, the kids really need you.

Well, about the membership cards, no one in the district got them. Our outgoing DE took them with him. My son was registered and didn't get one. I am really frustrated that the entire year just ended up not counting for me. It also makes me wonder just how many children weren't registered also. I know the lady at council told me another adult had to be dropped for lack of an application along with me so that means someone else is in for a surprise. The new DE is working with me on my current needs and is offering to help in anyway possible. I won't quit, reminds me of a poem:

Sombody said that it couldn't be done but he with a chuckle replied that maybe it couldn't but he would be one who wouldn't say so till he'd tried.

Kristi

Kristi,

Don't take it too hard. I served as an ASM for a year and filled out at least 2 applications just to find out that I was not registered with the Troop (it costs me $11 also). I just found out after 2 1/2 years that I am not really registered as a merit badge counselor eventhough I filled out the apps 3 times. As for service knots, filled out the Cubmaster knot, the Den Leader knot, the Scouter knot, etc. for all of the years that I have been with scouting at least 2 to 3 times each and I have gotten 0. What counted was the fact that I got to contribute to scouting. I simply chuckled and continue on with my training and teaching for the boys.

1Hour

ps: I got all the required training and then some so just laugh at the inadequacies that some people have and move on, knowing that what is needed is a type-A person to do the job! :)

As has been said, don't get too discouraged. Council lost my change of position when I went from Bear DL to CM. It took my DC several tries to get it straightened out....patience is a virtue, just not always one of mine.

YiS

Michelle