Are all Packs like this?

I'm not too concerned so much about undermining my position in the Pack. Being so new, I don't have much to lose.

Play on that. The first year I was a Scouter I played dumb when I noticed things not conforming with the program or seemed to be against BSA policy. For example, when my son was I tiger I noticed the boys receiving their Bobcat badge were turned upside down when the badge was pinned on. The next year, as the den leader for my son's then Wolf den, I asked what the deal was with the Bobcat ceremony. I listened to the speel about how it is tradition because the badge is supposed to be upside down until a good turn is performed, blah, blah, blah. After all that, I commented, that's interesting, because right here on page x of the Cub Scout Leaders Guide, it states that no boy should be turned upside down during any Bobcat ceremony. At that point there was a lot, and I mean a lot of guffaws and such. No boy has been turned upside down in the pack since.

I used that technique several times throughout my first year as a Cub Scout leader. Basically asking, why is that? Then saying that's interesting because here it says this. When I did this I would normally have the supporting BSA documentation. More often than not, changes were made. At any rate, it got people thinking about what is going on with the pack.

Of course, once you're not so "new," that technique really can't be used much if at all.

I hope that helps.

SWScouter

"Basically asking, why is that? Then saying that's interesting because here it says this. When I did this I would normally have the supporting BSA documentation."

I too find that to be an effective technique. I'm not new anymore but still use it. Another approach when someone makes an incorrect statement about a "fact" or "policy" not supported in the literature is to express interest in learning more about it and to please quote the written source. Or to simply say "I don't think that is supported in the literature, could you tell us in what publication that can be found?"

Great suggestions, and I've actually used this approach a couple of times already.

The problem I'm having with it, though, is that there is such a "That's the way we do it" and "Those are just guidelines" mentality that it's not terribly effective.

I'm not trying to suggest that there is a blatant disregard for the firm rules of scouting - there are no Bobcat turnings, abandonment of Youth Protection rules, or drinking at meetings or anything like that.

It's mostly a culture of leaders who have been in Cub Scouts a while and are viewing the experience as an item on a resume. Either their's or their boys'. There's not much fire there and it's probably infected the parents to the point where they view scouting the same way.

Make It Fun doesn't seem to be as important as Keep It Simple. And you doubtless have seen postings from plenty of people who've seen what happens when the Fun goes out of scouting.

So I'll take the advice offered here - mount my assault on the fortress of boring (from the Den) and re-write the committee meeting agendas during the meetings. Hopefully there are others who'd like to see the Pack re-energized and will jump in, too. (think positive, right?)

"That's the way we do it"

Idea for a speech at your next committee meeting:

I'd like to be considered part of the "we" in our Pack, and here is my idea, which by the way comes from the Cub Scout Leader book and was also covered in the training. Does anyone have any objection to trying a idea supported by BSA?

Who could say no?

NewCubDad,

Just to echo what others have said...I was in the exact same position a decade ago. By focusing on your den and making it right for them other dens will notice and they will begin taking cues from you ...sounds like you will eventually be the cubmaster...your concern for the kids shows through and it would be wrong not to share your enthusiasm with as many young scouts as possible.

Be somewhat careful about handing out your own den awards and making it too spectaular. I did the same thing after getting the old boring cubmaster's approval and the stuff hit the fan when it was clear to the pack that a better way and a more fun time could be had. He resented being "shown up" right up until the time he retired early at the end of the year and I was appointed CM.

These things have a way of working out in the end. Packs are generally a reflection of the handful of adult leaders that run them. Your willingness to spend time to get trained, search for ideas, seek the involvement of others, and create a fun environment is just what your (and all) packs need. Good luck and welcome to scouting!!

WWBPD

Deut. 23:13