woggles or slides

I had the boys make Cub Scout 75th Anniversary slides for B&G this year. I got some plastic sleeves used to connect two PVC pipes and the anniversary designs to attach. My assistant looked at it and said, "it's too big, it'll slide off." I said, "no, all the others slide off, but I have a plan."

I pulled the plastic sleeve as far up as could without choking the scout (what self-control!), tied the ends of the neckerchief with an overhand knot right up at it, then pulled the plastic down over the knot. Voila! the plastic covered the knot, kept the ends from flying up as they tend to do when we jerk a square knot to keep the regular slide from sliding off, and it never slipped. Some of the boys needed help removing it, but after loosing a few slides in the grass . . .

Steve

• 1 month later...

When I was a scout in summer camp back about 1977, a staff member at the handycraft lodge did this one. Take about a 2" diameter of ceder branch and cut a slice about 1/2" thick. Sand it down well, and take a picture from a magazine. A jumping fish, deer mountain, any theme you want. Use a wood burner and char the edges. Now add several layer of varnish till you have a thick mirror finish. Now just add a wire loop to the back. I am guessing on the measuremant, but I hope you get the idea.

Brian