I'm hoping that some of you will be able to direct me to the resources for this.

I'm trying to get information on the policies and procedures for starting a disability unit (that may not be quite the right terminology). I have read that disabled adults can be in Boy Scouts but I don't know what the requirements are for forming such a group.

My reason for looking for this information is multi-leveled.

1) as a practitioner in the disability field my reaction to adults being Boy Scout (not scouters) is negative. I've always tried to focus on age-appropriate levels of activity and work. This doesn't feel quite right to me. On the other hand, there are many aspects of Boy Scouts that would be beneficial to developmentally disabled adults so I want to learn more about it and keep an open mind.

2) Our DE is trying to start new units in our district. If this kind of unit is viable then I want to explore it as a possibilty for my Wood Badge ticket.

Thanks for any information you can offer, both pros and cons. As if I had to say that. :)

Yes there are several books on scouts with disabilities at your local scout shop or available through National Supply. Your council advancement chairman should be able to give you any special requirements for scouts over 18 with developmental problems. Many of these scouts earn Eagle latter in life. Scouting can help them and your leadership can make it happen. Good Luck!

I don't know about Boy Scouts, other than knowing that the age-out limit can be raised (suspended?) for developmentally disabled. I do know the Girl Scout way. The policy in Girl Scouts is to enroll developmentally disabled at their "Age Level" which means that adults enroll as adults. We have one in our service unit who acts as a "scouter" (not really a GS term), in a teamwork situation with non-disabled volunteers.

The downside is that recognitions are few and far between for adult girl scouts, so if you're looking at the benefit of earning recognitions, well, it just ain't there for the grown-ups.

A few months ago someone posted an article about a troop that was exactly what you are describing. Maybe someone can find that older message or remembers where the troop was from.

I would expect that troop would be glad to talk to you. The article was excellent. I think they had Boy Scouts up to 60 years old.