Blue and Gold overload

We have a pack of about 100 boys. In the past, we have combined Blue and Gold with Webelos bridging/arrow of light. However, with the prospect of over 300 attendees we are now limited to venues and caterers etc. The question is: how many of you combine these two events or is it best to separate them in the interest of simplicity (length of program, etc.) Thanks.

I favor the seperation of the two. Celebrate Cub style on B&G night. On the cross over, I like to have it in May. They attend the 1st BS campout in May before summer camp. This also allows for a 9 months in 2nd webelos not Sep-Feb. I feel the entire troop should be there for the cross over.

Some boys aren't done with their AOL in Feb and need the extra time to make it. I doubt some will be held back from the AOl by running the Webelos 2 program from Sep-May. Extra time is not always bad. A den that grew up together can feel difficulty when crossed at different times.

When I was cubmaster we used the Blue and Gold for three things;

1) celebrate the Birthday of Cubbing

2) recognize adult volunteers

3) crossed the Webelos over to Boy Scouts.

It was the Webelos leaders responsibility to have a program that prepared every Webeolos to be ready by then. That gave them 21-months to guide a boy through the Webelos requirements. If a boy attended the majority of meetings he had no trouble making this goal.

I agree with BW. The optimum time to cross over is Feb (best) - Mar (latest). My question - aside from a few Boys Scouts and a SM, who would attend a bridging/crossover ceremony that wouldn't attend a B&G? It seems like the same crowd to me.

Combining the events should not double the attendance. What am I missing?

I've been in a large troop that only had the SPL and SM invited to the B&W/cross over. The pack had the event catered and didn't want a large group of boy scouts and their families at the B&W. It set a bad tone like those were the only important troop reps. We like to cross over on a walking bridge with the pack on one side and the troop on the other. Integrates better.

We didn't have the scouts there for the meal. We ate first and did the adult recognitions next. We had the Boy Scouts show up about 15 minutes ahead of the ceremony during a break. After the crossover we had our closing ceremony and dismissed.

Was it done on a real bridge or just something made up. I think the real works great. I've done it once with a troop campout on the scout side. When the new scout crossed, they got to see the troop, campsite, and got to camp their first night with scouts. Prior prep is required by the troop, new scout, and his parents.(This message has been edited by Double Eagle)

I would recommend separating the two and having the Webelos Scouts crossover in March.

I have attended many B&G's over the years and I have found them to usually be long, drawn out affairs. By the time the crossover happened nobody cared anymore and were more interested in getting home. By putting it off until the next month it allows the focus of the Pack meeting to be on the graduating Webelos Scouts.

Just something else to think about for your Blue Gold in 2005. There is a selection of Cub Scout 75th Anniversary awards available for youth, leader, family, and pack that can be earned. All of them have a consistent requirement of participating in a 75th celebration which can be the Blue Gold banquet.

Paul

http://www.boyscouttrail.com/content/Award/award-705.asp

http:/

Much as I like to see the Bridging Ceremony done at the B&G. I can see where you are coming from. In fact I still have one part of my anatomy that is numb from the last really long B&G. But we won't go there.

They had saved the ceremony till last and by the time they got to it half the people had left the hall. The Leaders had tried to keep things moving. Still the meal was a covered dish, so it was served Buffet style. That took a long time. I did a quickish FOS presentation (Under 10 minutes) The Cub Scouts from each Den performed something either a song or a skit. The Parish Priest, did take a little time explaining how the church had been happy to have chartered the pack for 51 years. (Yes it was the pack that I had been CM of)

How about just presenting the Webelos Scouts the AOL at the B&G and then doing the Bridging Ceremony at the March pack meeting? I do think it is nice for the other little fellows to see the ceremony.

Eamonn

"How about just presenting the Webelos Scouts the AOL at the B&G and then doing the Bridging Ceremony at the March pack meeting? I do think it is nice for the other little fellows to see the ceremony."

I think this is a great idea. Way too many times, the AOL and crossover are combined together and they should be kept as two separate ceremonies.

CBW